Bourbon available in bars

nlktx49

5 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I'm loving this discussion! And I'm not even a bourbon/whiskey/rye whiskey fan. :classic_laugh:

I see you are in Arlington... I know a lot of people including myself in DFW that would be willing to teach ya if you wanted to dive down a deep and expensive rabbit hole lol. 

1 minute ago, MississippiMike said:

I see you are in Arlington... I know a lot of people including myself in DFW that would be willing to teach ya if you wanted to dive down a deep and expensive rabbit hole lol. 

Thanks for the invite, but I'm a dedicated Scotch drinker. My folks used to drink bourbon, and I tried it, but didn't care for it as much as I do Scotch. 

7 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Thanks for the invite, but I'm a dedicated Scotch drinker. My folks used to drink bourbon, and I tried it, but didn't care for it as much as I do Scotch. 

Tastes change.. I've got about a dozen bottles of scotch, about half are Signatory label bottles.. mostly cask strength. All depends on what the wife and I are in the mood for... 

12 hours ago, MississippiMike said:

Per Cruisemapper on deck 5

https://www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/Carnival-Vista-1039/deck05-1675

During the ship's 2017 drydock refurbishment, the “Fat Jimmy’s C-Side BBQ” bar was replaced by the new restaurant “Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse” (by celebrity chef Guy Fieri). The new smokehouse (brewhouse / barbecue food bar) is complimentary and opens on seadays only (between 12 noon – 2:30 pm). The menu has BBQ favorites, wood-smoked on the ship, cooked traditionally “low and slow”, using Guy Fieri’s recipes and special spices. Among the menu items are Mac Daddy (Macaroni and Cheese), Scratch-Made Slaw, Potato Salad (Old Skool), Smoked Turkey, Bacon (with Molasses Baked Beans). The list of meats includes chicken, pulled pork and Andouille (pork) sausages. The meat is brined and dry-rubbed before cooking in the ship’s smoker. The meat smoking process lasts 12 to 14 hours. The Smokehouse also offers premium, house-made craft beers.

I think this is incorrect in terms of a brewhouse and that they just rebranded to outside bbq station, but the Carnival deck plan could be wrong. I think it is still a Red Frog brewhouse/pub.

If there is a Pig and Anchor brewhouse, the hours would be similar to Horizon, I would think. Dinner would be an extra charge.

funtimes.pdf

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

I think this is incorrect in terms of a brewhouse and that they just rebranded to outside bbq station, but the Carnival deck plan could be wrong. I think it is still a Red Frog brewhouse/pub.

If there is a Pig and Anchor brewhouse, the hours would be similar to Horizon, I would think. Dinner would be an extra charge.

funtimes.pdf 72.89 kB · 1 download

I'm confused... your fun times (thank you btw!!! Can i get the rest of them???) 

Says Pig & Anchor in 3 places. 

Lunch - 12-230

Dinner - 530-10

Drinks - 10:30 - 1am!!!! PERFECT!!!

28 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

What's everybody's favorite sipping whiskey/whisky in the $40-$60 per bottle range?  Mine's "46" but there are so many people talk about that I haven't tried.

My favorites in that price range:

Jameson Stout Barrel Aged - comes in at just around $40 for a 1L and is so smooth

Angel's Envy 

Eagle Rare

Town Branch 

I am more of a scotch fan myself but those are my top everyday whisky's for sure. 

I enjoyed Aberfeldy 16 while on the Vista in July, we may have finished at least one bottle over the course of the trip. 

Edited by x lindsay x

22 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

What's everybody's favorite sipping whiskey/whisky in the $40-$60 per bottle range?  Mine's "46" but there are so many people talk about that I haven't tried.

I am from Kentucky however, I personally think some of the better bourbons come from all over the US.   I do like some Buffalo Trace products ($49.99 Weller Antique is my fav).  I have found some good High West Double Rye $40ish, Remus $60 (barrel pick for the higher proof).  Personally Blantons $55 is nice to have just for the look of the bottle but it is really just an average bourbon hyped up at a low proof.   

5 minutes ago, MississippiMike said:

Lunch - 12-230

Dinner - 530-10

Nevermind.. I think you are saying Pig & Anchor took the PLACE of Redfrog Pub... ?

53 minutes ago, MississippiMike said:

Lunch - 12-230

Dinner - 530-10

That's Pig and Anchor Brewhouse/Smokehouse on Carnival Horizon which I think is different than what is on Vista, but if they rebranded the Red Frog Brewery, than maybe. I'll have to look for the rest...

50 minutes ago, MississippiMike said:

Nevermind.. I think you are saying Pig & Anchor took the PLACE of Redfrog Pub... ?

Horizon never had a Red Frog Brewhouse and Pub, but started with Pig and Anchor Brewhouse. I'm not sure what is on Vista these days.

41 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That's Pig and Anchor Brewhouse/Smokehouse on Carnival Horizon which I think is different than what is on Vista, but if they rebranded the Red Frog Brewery, than maybe. I'll have to look for the rest...

Damnit... I need a Fun times from a recent Vista trip then. thanks though. 

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

funtimes.pdf 72.89 kB · 2 downloads

And.. I've just confirmed, no pig and anchor brewhouse.. only the bbq part which is lunch only and NO BAR... so unless all those other bourbons are somewhere else on the Vista... my options just got a lot more limited. 

Guess I need to book the Mardi Gras next year... 

1 hour ago, MississippiMike said:

And.. I've just confirmed, no pig and anchor brewhouse.. only the bbq part which is lunch only and NO BAR... so unless all those other bourbons are somewhere else on the Vista... my options just got a lot more limited. 

That sucks....I have not seen such a complete selection of Whiskey until we sailed on ships with the P&A Brewhouse.  None of the other bars compared.

6 hours ago, Luckysll said:

I hope there are other brands of Canadian whiskey on board, but if not, I'll just get used to "Seagrams and ginger ale".

On the Horizon last month Seagrams was the only Canadian.  Crown Royal was not available ship wide at any bar.

2 hours ago, MississippiMike said:

You might see what selections the Steakhouse offers. You can sit at the bar there and drink.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MississippiMike said:

I've been told Blanton's and BT should be available by two friends who have gone in the last month. If nothing else, I'll sip on that. 

I'm surprised nobody has posted what bourbon is available at the main bar in the atrium. Surely they should have some bourbon. I posted the Pig & Anchor bar menu because it was the only one I found with the bourbon selection listed. Not to mention all the ships that don't have the P&A.

Edited by mondello
Correction

18 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Currently Woodford Reserve but I will keep track of others listed on this post that I havent tried yet.

21 hours ago, MississippiMike said:

Ughhhh no...

Bourbon is Whiskey. 

Not all whiskey is Bourbon 

that's the easy way to remember it

Both whiskey and bourbon CAN have corn. 

Bourbon REQUIRES 51% corn.  Whiskey does not. MOST American Whiskeys DO have the majority CORN but are NOT Bourbon because they DO NOT use a NEW Charred Oak barrel. If it is a USED barrel.. it's not Bourbon. 

Almost in America if it's over 51% rye it's called.. a RYE. A Bourbon CAN and usually does have RYE but it must make us less than 51%. 

You DID get one then right though.. Jack Daniels IS a BOURBON no matter what there branding says. 

How about a Venn diagram?  Please help a brother out.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:07 PM, BlerkOne said:

Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, but Tennessee whiskey because it doesn't come from Bourbon County Kentucky.

I'm so confused!  Maybe my husband will just switch to tequila!!