Just got a scare with the BinaxNOW Covid home test. Just wanted to share with everyone .

Sgt. Jeff

Good morning friends.  Family of 5 here in South Carolina cruising on the Mardi Gras Saturday.  Got up at 5am to do our tests.   Easy connection, but when I was asked to open the dropper and put 6 drops into the test, there was no liquid in the dropper at all.   Completely empty.    Thank goodness I had ordered the 6 pack so I had 1 extra.   The other 5 were great  and everyone was negative.   Just wanted to share with yall....not to scare anybody, but sharing my experience just in case you wanted to have and extra on hand.   The lot # on the test was141804.   Have a great day everyone.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

Thanks Sarge.  Yeah, between you and Tony from La Lido Loca dropping (and ruining) one, having an extra absolutely makes sense.  Enjoy your cruise.

I gotta tell ya, my heart skipped a few beats!!

Just now, jsglow said:

Was it the first one you opened up? Did you guys need to go 5 for 5 after that?  PRESSURE.

Actually, it was the 3rd one out of the box.  I gave my son and his girlfriend 2 earlier in the week.   All same lot numbers.   

Literally the exact same thing happened to me. I had a 6 pack and gave one to my neighbor. On 10/1 my husband took one and all was well. Then I went to take mine and the bottle was completely empty. The guy asked if we had another test and I just used the dropper from my husbands since it was right next to me. The guy didn’t seem to notice/care. 

I have 3 extra tests now and am hoping they are all good because I’m trying to book another cruise this year. 

We are about to do our tests tomorrow.  There are 4 of us and we have the 6 pack of tests.  We planned for the spare 2 to use for a cruise we have next month.

When they saw that the tube was empty did they note that and process a replacement?  Or is the E-Med part totally separate from the test kit maker?  i.e., is there a way to get the faulty kit replaced, especially since it shouldn't be "your word against theirs" with the EMed witness?

I ordered a six pack and the first one I went to use was defective.  The med person reported it and they contacted me and told me they were sending a replacement 6 pack free.  My husbands test was fine.  Now we have 10 test kits and will need 7 of them by early spring so we should be set.

1 hour ago, udamudda said:

I ordered a six pack and the first one I went to use was defective.  The med person reported it and they contacted me and told me they were sending a replacement 6 pack free.  My husbands test was fine.  Now we have 10 test kits and will need 7 of them by early spring so we should be set.

They will most likely expire by early Spring. Most they are shipping now expire in January or February at the latest.

We are taking our first home test early tomorrow morning and that is the one thing I am worried about is having an empty bottle!!

We also had appts scheduled with CVS as a backup plan but sadly at 5pm last night we got the message they cancelled our appts.

Fingers crossed our tests go smoothly as we have been unable to find any place near us with open appts.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

We are about to do our tests tomorrow.  There are 4 of us and we have the 6 pack of tests.  We planned for the spare 2 to use for a cruise we have next month.

When they saw that the tube was empty did they note that and process a replacement?  Or is the E-Med part totally separate from the test kit maker?  i.e., is there a way to get the faulty kit replaced, especially since it shouldn't be "your word against theirs" with the EMed witness?

Hey.  The proctor said he noted the defect, but I haven't been contacted by emed about a replacement.  

This is slightly off topic but I see a few people in here ordered the 6 pack and for family of 4 or 5. Could I please ask a couple questions I’ve been trying to get answered? I even reached out to emed to ask and just got a canned response 

Were these kits ordered from Emed? When you order they ask for 3 names. Was it an issue that you tested more people than were named? That is where I’m confused, emed said you can only use it on those 3 people but I keep seeing people talk like that isn’t the case. Did the proctors care at all?

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, thewynn said:

This is slightly off topic but I see a few people in here ordered the 6 pack and for family of 4 or 5. Could I please ask a couple questions I’ve been trying to get answered? I even reached out to emed to ask and just got a canned response 

Were these kits ordered from Emed? When you order they ask for 3 names. Was it an issue that you tested more people than were named? That is where I’m confused, emed said you can only use it on those 3 people but I keep seeing people talk like that isn’t the case. Did the proctors care at all?

Thank you. 

The proctors are not connected to the names on the order. Each test taker sets up their own Navica app (login), and you have to be logged in to your own app to have the results in your name. 

My office ordered some for business use after extra-USA travel. No different. 

When you ordered them, you could have entered one name or filled out all three. The name there is for the prescription required for the EUA paperwork (that you won’t ever be involved in). This comes into play if the test is, say, medically necessary and therefore covered by insurance. (Travel tests are not medically necessary.) YEMV as far as insurance coverage, but most don’t cover it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

When they saw that the tube was empty did they note that and process a replacement?  Or is the E-Med part totally separate from the test kit maker?

Abbott is the manufacturer. All the official documentation has their name on it. eMed is a seller (of the 6-Pack) and the supplier of the test Proctor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Abbott is the manufacturer. All the official documentation has their name on it. eMed is a seller (of the 6-Pack) and the supplier of the test Proctor.

I understand that EMed didn't manufacture it, but in my case, at least, I purchased the kits from EMed, not Abbot directly.  Normally the entity selling a product would assist in the replacement of a defective product, especially if their agent witnessed the defect.

Happily My DW and I did our tests early this morning with no issue, DS and DIL will do their this evening.

1 hour ago, Missouri travel girl said:

So do all of the results on your test say "this is a self-recorded result.  Self test results can not be certified?"

No, it does not say it is a "Self recorded test" as it is not.  It was supervised by a person from EMED