Coco Cay South Beach

On 10/19/2021 at 3:48 PM, flamingos said:

We were on the beach that is just to the north (left, facing it) of the CocoBeach Club.  It's almost equidistant from the Snack Shack and the Chill Grill, right in front of the restrooms with the little basketball court.  The tram goes right past it. It was perfect.

Not too crowded, lots of shade toward the back, just a little music in the distance, nice wade-in beach. We intended to start there and move on, but stayed the whole day.  

Are there daybeds to rent, and what’s the cost? My cruise planner did not show daybeds, only cabanas.

1 hour ago, rim140 said:

Are there daybeds to rent, and what’s the cost? My cruise planner did not show daybeds, only cabanas.

I think there were, between the Snack Shack and the restrooms, just ashore of the over the water cabanas.  They had cute little signs saying 'Welcome Annette' or whoever - but we didn't really see a lot of people, or even their stuff, in any of them. 

• Like 1

Are folks that did not pay for the cabanas at Coco Beach still allowed to use the beach there if they don't use a chair or anything?  The snorkelling looks like it might be halfway decent there, but there's no way we could ever use a cabana. We're not "sit at the beach" types.  We really only enjoy snorkelling.  "Developing" the island completely changed its nature from the beauty it was 10 years ago, and there's very little talk of where to do the best snorkelling, altho they are more than willing to rent you snorkel gear for an outrageous price.

Someone suggested South Beach, (but then it was suggested that maybe South Beach was off-limits for pax)  and maybe around Chill Island.  Has anyone here had any experience with this?

Edited by Birdnutty

50 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

Are folks that did not pay for the cabanas at Coco Beach still allowed to use the beach there if they don't use a chair or anything?  The snorkelling looks like it might be halfway decent there, but there's no way we could ever use a cabana. We're not "sit at the beach" types.  We really only enjoy snorkelling.  "Developing" the island completely changed its nature from the beauty it was 10 years ago, and there's very little talk of where to do the best snorkelling, altho they are more than willing to rent you snorkel gear for an outrageous price.

Someone suggested South Beach, (but then it was suggested that maybe South Beach was off-limits for pax)  and maybe around Chill Island.  Has anyone here had any experience with this?

In September I tried to swim from Breezy Bay around the floating cabanas. Figured I'd just walk along the beach back to Breezy Bay. But just as I neared the furthest out cabana, a floating lifeguard kindly asked which cabana I was staying in and upon hearing none said this is the end of the line. So I had to turn around and swim back. I was SOOO close to being done swimming! oh well. I lived. Then I looked more carefully and noticed that the beach was blocked off by rocks and foliage anyway....so I wouldn't have made it back by beach. But, if you're snorkeling with ears under water, you wouldn't be able to hear a lifeguard barking at you....😉

57 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

Not sure about the boundary issues but I know you don't have to rent snorkel gear if you have your own and won't have to pay the outrageous price.

1 hour ago, Birdnutty said:

Are you talking about the actual Beach Club's beach?  You need to pay for the Beach Club to use that beach.  However, there are PLENTY of other beaches to utilize for free -- three "Chill Island" beaches, plus Breezy Bay beach, plus Harbor beach, plus South beach (if opened to passengers).  

Snorkeling in general from any beach without a reef isn't going to be all that spectacular on any island.  Anyone who has done actual snorkeling isn't going to be impressed, nor were they going to be impressed before Coco Cay was developed -- Royal didn't remove any reefs when they did their construction.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

The beach behind the cabanas is not just for the cabanas. It is the private beach for the Beach Club, which is a paid amenity.  You can get one of the cabanas or you can pay for day entrance to the Beach Club to use that beach.  

As others have said, there are a ton of other beaches to use for free on the island.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:22 AM, cured said:

The beach behind the cabanas is not just for the cabanas. It is the private beach for the Beach Club, which is a paid amenity.  You can get one of the cabanas or you can pay for day entrance to the Beach Club to use that beach.  

As others have said, there are a ton of other beaches to use for free on the island.

My only reason for asking is that I’m trying to find the area that I used to snorkel at, maybe 9 years ago. It was a very good experience. Since I don’t have a reference as to which beach replaced that snorkeling area, I looked at the satellite map, and it appears that it might be the area that is now either South Beach or Coco.  Only interested in the snorkeling, not beach usage. 

Edited by Birdnutty

13 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

My only reason for asking is that I’m trying to find the area that I used to snorkel at, maybe 9 years ago. It was a very good experience. Since I don’t have a reference as to which beach replaced that snorkeling area, I looked at the satellite map, and it appears that it might be the area that is now either South Beach or Coco.  Only interested in the snorkeling, not beach usage. 

Most likely you will not be allowed in the area with the cabanas, as it is a private area. They have lifeguards on the docks and on wave runners to make sure only those with a paid access are there.

In your initial post, you also ask if using the beach area without sitting on any of the chairs was ok.  That is a hard no. As others upthread mentioned, they tried to snorkel over to the Beach Club area from Chill Beach and were stopped.

If you really want access to the area, it might be easiest to just purchase a Beach Club entrance. You will get the snorkeling you want plus amazing food. And you can use the beach at will.

Edited by cured