Covid tests before disembarkation?

LewiLewi

I understand your question, but I will answer with a different scenario. We are on a back to back with linked booking, so, I had the same question as we are staying on board from one sailing to remain in the same cabin on a second voyage. I called HAL as was informed that 3 days prior to disembarkation we would be tested for covid and that this would suffice for our second sailing. It was one less thing to worry about for us. Not sure if this is what you are asking, but that is what I learned. Call HAL with your booking number, and they will have the best answer for you scenario. Have a good trip!

Edited by tuolumne couple

10 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

Thank you. Do you think that this is so for all cruise lines sailing RT from Florida ports?

Yes, all cruiselines would follow the same protocal. My understanding is that only those arriving by AIR to the U.S. from foreign countries need to show a negative covid test. Or those flying to some foreign countries from the U.S. will need to show a negative covid test. I think it is a bit odd that no test is required to arrive in the U.S. by sea when the ship has been to foreign ports in the Caribbean. The senario described by tuolumne couple above is essentially a test required by HAL before each leg of their back-to-back cruise. No test requirement at the end.

There is a part of the Holland America website stating the Covid 19 health measures. https://hollandamerica.com/travelwell

There is a question and answer section for US cruises which states that "A complementary antigen or PCR Covid 19 test will be administered to all guests on board on day 5 or 6 of the voyage.  This test fulfills the requirement for onward travel home in most instances where guests board a flight immediately after their cruise."

Just now, carnivaljunkie said:

There is a part of the Holland America website stating the Covid 19 health measures. https://hollandamerica.com/travelwell

There is a question and answer section for US cruises which states that "A complementary antigen or PCR Covid 19 test will be administered to all guests on board on day 5 or 6 of the voyage.  This test fulfills the requirement for onward travel home in most instances where guests board a flight immediately after their cruise."

I'm counting on that being the case as we intend to fly home to Canada the day we disembark. And at this point, we need proof of a negative test to do so. Hoping by February (when we disembark) that will have changed. 

In addition to your due diligence now, I highly recommend checking with the ship once you board so you're not blindsided later.  I have found the ships are not always consistent with what people are being told by HAL customer service. 

Our Alaska sailing was advertised as requiring a covid test prior to disembarkation, but never took place according to reliable sources onboard.  Perhaps it was because the ship didn't have anybody but American's onboard, I don't know.  It could have been the fluidity of the matter or just HAL being HAL. 

What worked for us: always have a Plan B, which we had to fall back on when our Plan A for covid testing fell through prior to boarding.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I'm counting on that being the case as we intend to fly home to Canada the day we disembark. And at this point, we need proof of a negative test to do so. Hoping by February (when we disembark) that will have changed. 

I’m counting on that too.  I’ve posted on a few rolls calls with Canadians asking if that is happening but so far crickets are chirping.  I have a cruise booked for November that I am still considering as I have found an insurance provider that will cover covid on cruise ships with a travel advisory in place as long as you are “stable” for 3 months.  I’ve been on the same meds for years but I have a dr appointment this week and if by some strange chance she changes my meds I won’t be able to go.  So if I do go I will for sure post my experience.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

33 minutes ago, atexsix said:

In addition to your due diligence now, I highly recommend checking with the ship once you board so you're not blindsided later.  I have found the ships are not always consistent with what people are being told by HAL customer service. 

Our Alaska sailing was advertised as requiring a covid test prior to disembarkation, but never took place according to reliable sources onboard.  Perhaps it was because the ship didn't have anybody but American's onboard, I don't know.  It could have been the fluidity of the matter or just HAL being HAL. 

What worked for us: always have a Plan B, which we had to fall back on when our Plan A for covid testing fell through prior to boarding.  

I agree.  I know hal is not celebrity but a Canadian cruising on celebrity said she went to the front desk the first day to confirm she would be able to get a pcr.  On hal I believe this is the way to go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I agree.  I know hal is not celebrity but a Canadian cruising on celebrity said she went to the front desk the first day to confirm she would be able to get a pcr.  On hal I believe this is the way to go.

My biggest wish is consistency from ship to ship, port to port, and cruise line to cruise line; I know that is not realistic but it would make it so much easier and less stressful.  We would be far more willing to book an overseas sailing if this were the case, but we're going to stick to American ports again for 2022.

• Like 1

From HAL's FAQ regarding requirement for a test to return to home country

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered onboard the ship within the timeframe required prior to travel and prior to the end of the voyage.  Guests will receive a copy of the test result.  Guests are encouraged to review their home country's health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

5 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

From HAL's FAQ regarding requirement for a test to return to home country

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered onboard the ship within the timeframe required prior to travel and prior to the end of the voyage.  Guests will receive a copy of the test result.  Guests are encouraged to review their home country's health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

Yes, it's sunshine and rainbows on the website.  Somehow/sometimes they don't get the "memo" on the ship.

• Haha 1

We are currently on Eurodam in Europe/Med and we needed an antigen test to re enter Italy.  When we went for the test we were asked if an antigen test was ok or if we needed a PCR test.  Both were available and there was no charge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That's my worry.  Would love to hear.  Hal is supposed to pay for a hotel for you to quarantine.

This has been my main beef, the lack of transparency about what HAL intends to do once arriving back in port about a number of covid related concerns.  A lot of unknowns for what is being sold as HAL's "worry free promise".  But it's not just them, all the cruise lines have been pretty quiet/vague about it, I asked about transparency on several boards before we sailed during the time the variant was raging, so they were all very real possibilities.  But I got nowhere.  

Edited by atexsix

55 minutes ago, atexsix said:

This has been my main beef, the lack of transparency about what HAL intends to do once arriving back in port about a number of covid related concerns.  A lot of unknowns for what is being sold as HAL's "worry free promise".  But it's not just them, all the cruise lines have been pretty quiet/vague about it, I asked about transparency on several boards before we sailed during the time the variant was raging, so they were all very real possibilities.  But I got nowhere.  

I’m pretty sure I read a post on the celebrity board about someone that tested positive and celebrity actually flew her home on a private jet.  As I recall the situation this was a few months back at the start up.  They might not be so keen now that they have a few bucks in their pockets.  

edit - I think I found the story.  It was actually royal in case anyone wants to read

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Thanks 1