Vaccination Question

nicolelarios

27 minutes ago, nicolelarios said:

So I have 2 Moderna's starting in January, but my husband has the 1 shot J&J.  Anyone know if they are requiring boosters for the J&J even though it was said to be a single vaccine?  I would hate to get there and me be good and not him.

John Heald has said that currently there is no requirement for booster shots. As long as you follow the rules set out in the website links above you are good.

You didn't mention when you are cruising. We know things can change quickly so it's important to recheck. You should also keep an eye on what the CDC is saying in terms of booster shots.

The problem with the Carnival website is they do not address the J&J at all.  I sent a message to Carnival in July via messenger, and asked about the J&J.  They replied that the one dose is fine.  Really wish they would put that in writing on the website.  We too would hate to show up next month and find 2 doses of the other vaccines are in fact required.  Even if we got a 2nd J&J, it still doesn't change the fact that it is not listed.

8 minutes ago, pamesacruisin said:

The problem with the Carnival website is they do not address the J&J at all.  I sent a message to Carnival in July via messenger, and asked about the J&J.  They replied that the one dose is fine.  Really wish they would put that in writing on the website.  We too would hate to show up next month and find 2 doses of the other vaccines are in fact required.  Even if we got a 2nd J&J, it still doesn't change the fact that it is not listed.

I sailed in Aug with the Jansen , j&j one dose and was fine checking in on the cruise.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pamesacruisin said:

How much clearer does it need to be? (words in quotation marks are directly from the Carnival website)

"This means the guest has completed the full cycle of the required doses for the vaccines administered."

J&J is one dose. So one dose "completes the full cycle of the required doses for the vaccines adminstered."

It also says:

"Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day and have proof of vaccination."

There is no wording about 2 doses. It says final dose. J&J is a one dose vaccine so the final dose is the one dose.

Edited by K_e_short
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Yeah I found this and it is not 100% clear either.  So I went to the CDC website and per then the J&J is still just one shot so guessing? that is still the case.  Was hoping to see if anyone here had any direct experience.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

1 hour ago, pamesacruisin said:

That is exactly what I was running into also.  We cruise next month also, 19 days, so if he needed a second we have time... for like 5 days.  I did find the CDC website and will attach it here for you, we are going to print it out and bring to port with us.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

How much clearer does it need to be? (words in quotation marks are directly from the Carnival website)

"This means the guest has completed the full cycle of the required doses for the vaccines administered."

J&J is one dose. So one dose "completes the full cycle of the required doses for the vaccines adminstered."

It also says:

"Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day and have proof of vaccination."

There is no wording about 2 doses. It says final dose. J&J is a one dose vaccine so the final dose is the one dose.

It mentions 2 doses many times, so yes it is unclear if you are standing in those shoes. It would definitely be helpful if they either attached the link to the CDC which I found or made it more clear statin 1 shot vaccines are cleared.  Apparently people were using the J&J as the second dose for others and that is the only place they were listed.

8 hours ago, nicolelarios said:

Yeah I found this and it is not 100% clear either.  So I went to the CDC website and per then the J&J is still just one shot so guessing? that is still the case.  Was hoping to see if anyone here had any direct experience.  

I simply don't understand the confusion. The Carnival wording seems perfectly clear. J&J was approved by the FDA as a single shot vaccination, not two shot. It is not and never has been approved as a "2-dose series".

• Like 3

I also feel that being confused about the wording is negatively affecting others.

Carnival's customer service, John Heald's facebook page, PVP, travel agents, etc. are going to be bogged down with these types of questions.

Then those with actual questions or concerns are waiting on hold for, 1 hour, 2 hours?

At no point did Carnival say booster shots are necessary. At no point did Carnival say that J&J was two shots.

• Like 3

There were 5 of us on our August Breeze cruise that all had the J&J.  No problems boarding.  The only issue was our local clinic didn't say what day the tested us on the date of the results.  I had to explain it the was the rapid test the same day.  All 5 us had the test done at the same location but only 2 of us had to explain.  For my December cruise I will make sure the clinic puts the date tested and result date.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pamesacruisin said:

This is from John Heald this morning: 

ACCEPTABLE VACCINES AND VACCINE COMBINATIONS
COVID-19 Vaccination Manufacturer Also known as:
1 Pfizer: 2 Doses Comirnaty / BioNTech
2 Moderna: 2 Doses Spikevax
3 Johnson & Johnson: 1 Dose Janssen
4 AstraZeneca: 2 Doses Covishield / Vaxzevria
5 Sinopharm: 2 Doses
6 Sinovac: 2 Doses CoronaVac
7 MIXED DOSES: Pfizer (1 Dose) + Moderna (1 Dose)
8 MIXED DOSES: AstraZeneca (1 dose) + Pfizer (1Dose) OR Moderna (1 Dose)
9 US ONLY: Novavax clinical trial participants who can confirm that they received the full 2-dose series of the active COVID-19 vaccine
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, nicolelarios said:

So I have 2 Moderna's starting in January, but my husband has the 1 shot J&J.  Anyone know if they are requiring boosters for the J&J even though it was said to be a single vaccine?  I would hate to get there and me be good and not him.

I thought the boosters weren’t even approved  for Moderna and J&J yet? If that is the case I don't see how they can require them.