Which one to pick, completely new to cruising!!!???

This isn't what you asked but whichever ship you choose, make sure that your kids go to the teen area on the first night.  They do some things to get the kids introduced to each other and the kids often form a "pack" that hangs out together for the week.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, poocher said:

My brother is taking his first cruise in March on Harmony with my family.  I keep trying to ask questions/preferences and he looks at me kinda funny & says can’t we figure all that out when we get there?!?!  He’s gonna be the death of me!

Either cruise will be wonderful.  Odyssey is a brand new ship this summer and offers a lot for teenagers.  We love the bumper cars and roller skating along with many other things offered on quantum class ships.

I personally would pick southern itinerary but kids would love perfect day.  

As for dining, you may want to just do the venues that are included in your fare then if you decide while onboard to try a speciality restaurant you could book then.  Occassionally run specials onboard.  

Drink packages is something you need to determine how much you would drink per day and if worth for you.  How many port stops?    If one adults wants to buy deluxe beverage package the 2nd adult must then buy at min. The refreshment package, this can be done by calling royal.     You are allowed to bring onboard 2 bottles of wine and a 12 pack of soda cans or water.

• Like 1

My kids would pick any itinerary with Coco Cay every time!  Your kids are old enough that they can go into the water park by themselves if you feel comfortable with that.  Mine spend the entire day going up and down the stairs for the water slides.  They also recently picked Harmony over Odyssey because they loved every second on the Harmony.  

My kids are similar age to yours and they got the money's worth of the Refreshment Package!  They are not big soda drinkers, but they had lots of smoothies, non-alcoholic frozen drinks, Powerade, and bottled water. I loved that they could go grab what they wanted without me.  We did not buy dining packages, but did take our kids for sushi one afternoon.  I have boys and they eat all of the time and they found more than enough to keep them satisfied.  We also picked My Time Dining because it is a little faster than the formal dinner times.  Our servers knew the boys wanted to be in and out quickly in order to get back to doing things!  

Lastly, my kids are very happy hanging out on the ship and didn't want to get off.  It wasn't necessary to spend alot of money on excursions.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

Southern.  Aruba and Curacao are much nicer than St. Thomas and St. Maarten, especially for snorkeling and diving.

but if the cruise is happening right now (this December), a lot of Southern ports are being replaced with Puerto Rico and Coco Cay anyway...

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You are allowed to bring onboard 2 bottles of wine and a 12 pack of soda cans or water.

I was just reading my cruise contract for our Nov sailing and it says: NO nonalcoholic beverages.

"Alcohol Policy
Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines (vermouth, sherry, sake, and port wines) or nonalcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine or champagne onboard only on embarkation day, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750 mi per stateroom. Wine should be brought onboard via carry on if possible. Luggage containing wine or champagne will not be delivered to the stateroom and guests will need to retrieve their luggage 
from security once the ship has set sail. Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest over 21 years of age are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne onboard. Guests may request a corkscrew to use for opening bottles in their stateroom.
Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing."

26 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I was just reading my cruise contract for our Nov sailing and it says: NO nonalcoholic beverages.

"Alcohol Policy
Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines (vermouth, sherry, sake, and port wines) or nonalcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine or champagne onboard only on embarkation day, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750 mi per stateroom. Wine should be brought onboard via carry on if possible. Luggage containing wine or champagne will not be delivered to the stateroom and guests will need to retrieve their luggage 
from security once the ship has set sail. Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest over 21 years of age are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne onboard. Guests may request a corkscrew to use for opening bottles in their stateroom.
Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing."

We got on board the Oasis in September and carried on a 12 pk of cans of Pepsi Zero.  There was no issue at all.   I plan to do it again in November on the Symphony.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seahawkinohio said:

Thank you all, we will be deciding tonight as a family.... I think the adults want southern but the kids want eastern due to coco cay, now on to decide about. drink and dinner packages, its just way. too much. lol

For new cruisers planning can be half of the fun.  Cruise critic is a great resource!

• Like 1

Having been on Oasis right after it's enhancement and Odyssey last month....like mentioned you can't go wrong with either. However I would give the edge to Odyssey...she is a gorgeous ship and for a brand new cruiser I feel like the ship might not be as overwhelming as Oasis can be to some. Odyssey is brand spanking new...staterooms are more up to date...overall the entire ship is more up to date. The 8 night itinerary is great and Cayman is going to get swapped out for sure....so you may end up have CoCoCay anyways. Crew is Wonderfull on Odyssey and the Seaplex will be the kids favorite. I also like the idea that you have a true enclosed solarium ...which is gorgeous. 

• Like 2

Bottom line, for your first cruise, you will enjoy whichever ship or itinerary you choose.

Many people on this board are jaded about certain ports and ships.

To me, the ship is more important.  And I do not want a floating amusement park.  I want a ship to be on the water.  The smaller ships,  you can pretty much always look around and see the water.

I go to relax, not fill up a schedule with all sorts of things to do and places to be.

And if you can swing it, kids in their own room.  Ours have had an inside across the hall since they were 10 & 12.  Makes for a better vacation for the parents too. 

of course, depends on the responsibility level of the kids. 

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:10 AM, seahawkinohio said:

We are a family of 4 totally new to cruising, 2 adults in our 40's and 2 kids, 12 and 14.  We have settled on Royal Caribbean, looking at. Oasis leaving 12/19. 7 nights for  Eastern Caribbean with perfect day, or leaving 12/18 on Odyssey 8 nights for Southern Caribbean no perfect day.  Want to keep my kids/teens busy with lots of fun activities and my husband and I like good entertainment and food.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i feel totally overwhelmed with. all the planning even after reading all the "First time cruising" topics.

12/18 Odyssey ...Cayman just got changed to CoCoCay!!!