Transferring away from NCL to a travel agent ?

tedbearz

I've done it before (when I've booked strictly through the website, not dealt with a person) and transferred because I was offered free travel insurance or onboard credit.  There's a form you fill out and email back and then it's transferred to the agent.  On another cruise line, that onboard credit, because it came from an outside agency, was available to cash out.  Not sure if it's the same here.

I'm guessing that if you transfer it after you've dealt with an NCL agent, they lose their commission.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

Edited by Sexydva74
Added

I did this for our cruise next month. Technically I didn’t “transfer,” but the way I did it, I basically did. There was an extra promotion going through a travel agent. It’s pretty easy. I would recommend, as long as your TA is willing, doing a 3 way call to transfer and rebook. I called the TA, we settled everything I wanted, specifically because I wanted to exact room I originally had. We called NCL, he cancelled our booking and my room immediately released, allowing the TA to grab it. NCL refund did take a while, about 2-3 weeks. But I paid my TA the deposit on the spot and then it was all done. 

Relatively easy. Took less than 30 minutes to do it. Everyone was helpful. Got my exact same category and room and all the promos NCL was offering in addition to the promo the TA was offering. Win win. 

I will say there is a way you can fill out the paperwork to transfer it but it takes longer. Especially if they’re backed up, it could take a couple of weeks. We didn’t go this route because by the time the transfer would’ve gone through the promotion the TA was offering would’ve been up. If we wanted to go that route we would have to obtain specific paperwork to fill out and request the transfer. I do prefer working with a TA, so even if you’re not motivated by a specific promo, it may be worth it! They watched and monitored for price changes on my behalf and just kind of monitored all the safety stuff and would email me whenever I needed to know something. But if you want to go this route, you can request the paperwork from NCL website and get the ball rolling. 

Edited by kamikazii
Inaccurate piece of information corrected

1. I have now done this three times.  You have a certain number of days to do it and it has to be before final payment.  I did it for the American Express Platinum Benefits. 
  2. There is a form you have to fill out with your reason and your travel agent information including some kind of code needed.

The process takes a couple of days.

49 minutes ago, Sexydva74 said:

I'm guessing that if you transfer it after you've dealt with an NCL agent, they lose their commission.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

Yes, this is the case.  One of the reps told me this...and I vowed not to transfer to an agent again.  I generally have a better experience calling in directly.  My experiences with agents...not so good.  Not worth the OBC.

• Like 1

The only way to answer this is it depends on you and what you are getting in return for transferring.  If you find it to be worth it, then it is worth it.  If not, then it's not.  

As for the how and when you can, some other great members have already covered those items.