First Time on MSC: Question About Check-In Time

stormy_weatherman

Hi everyone! Next month I'll be sailing on MSC for the first time (Divina for 3 nights). I have been on 13 cruises total so far, but have to admit I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the check-in process for MSC.

I completed all of my check-in online and just received my e-ticket. No where during the process was I able to select a check-in time at the port, yet on my ticket it states 3 PM (and the ship sails at 6 PM). Any idea why it is so late? Did I miss the part where I select my own time? Can you show up early without being turned away? Thanks in advance for helping this MSC newbie! 

Edited by stormy_weatherman

I’m on Divina next month as well and have had a 3 pm check in time since I paid in full. No you didn’t miss anything they assign the time. 
I plan to arrive around 12-12:15 after we drop off our rental car. 
They won’t turn you away. 
First time on Divina in 2019 I also had a late check in time. We showed up 4 hrs before it and they never said a word. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Why not just work with the cruiseline, abide by their system and then enjoy your cruise.

I know folks in at least a dozen cabins that are going on our Nov 11th sailing on Divina, and all have been given 3PM check-ins, some have booked early and some, as late as Thursday.

Based on my statement above and others here on this board, abiding by their rules may net the same hordes that you mention above.

I was also on a cruise in September, albeit Carnival.

The check-in time on our boarding passes was 11:30-12:30.  Which we adhered.

There was a sign for people who were early to go wait elsewhere, (outside?)  no one was there, yet literally hundreds of people were jammed trying to check in.

I doubt we all had the same time.

We always follow the rules, but not this time.

I only live about an hour away from Port Canaveral and will have another couple in the car with us, also with a 3PM.

I am in no hurry, we will get there when we get there, and it will be before way earlier than 3PM.

Witnessing MSC's paperwork and computer bumbles first hand, I doubt even they have a handle of what is going on.

If MSC wants an orderly embarkation, they need to review their internal procedures.

• Like 3

@Couple-Somerset

Yes seriously!

I see you live in the UK so I’m not sure how you can comment on your experience with what’s happening with FL embarkations on Divina at the moment.  Folks from the UK are not welcome on MSC Divina until 11/8th correct?  Have you somehow sailed on Divina recently?

The MSC ships in FL aren’t packed like sardines like I have read about some of the ships in your area. Divina has been sailing with less than 50% capacity. There are no lines. 

Have you read the boards here about Divina’s boarding process since they began sailing again?
Nobody speaks of “hundreds being forced to wait outside” as you mention. Was that Divina? No. 

I have explained our situation with having to return our rental car by noon to MSC reps (since the rental car agencies don’t stay open late on Sundays) and each one of them have told me the boarding time is a guide, they don’t always adhere to it especially now that they can’t sail at full capacity and that we won’t be turned away. 

Edited by styles27

Our boarding "time" for Divina was 3pm; we arrived at 11am.  Onboard with glass of champagne in hand by 11:30.  I am, for one, not going to lose basically 1/2 a day of my holiday to board at 3pm. 

To note, however, there is no longer priority embarkation for Black/Diamond status (which we were keeping in our back pocket if we had to).    

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

I know folks in at least a dozen cabins that are going on our Nov 11th sailing on Divina, and all have been given 3PM check-ins, some have booked early and some, as late as Thursday.

Correct we booked on July 2nd with another couple and I did the bookings for both of us and linked our reservations. 

Our paperwork immediately showed a 3 pm arrival and our friend’s showed a 12:15 arrival. 🤔

So even though our paperwork both showed we were “traveling with” each other they issued us different embarkation times. Typical MSC. 

Our friends ended up cancelling and they still get emails about bidding on an upgrade and their embarkation time being changed by minutes.  If they hadn’t gotten their refund already I’d be concerned. 

1 minute ago, Morgsmom said:

Our boarding "time" for Divina was 3pm; we arrived at 11am.  Onboard with glass of champagne in hand by 11:30.  I am, for one, not going to lose basically 1/2 a day of my holiday to board at 3pm. 

To note, however, there is no longer priority embarkation for Black/Diamond status (which we were keeping in our back pocket if we had to).    

Exactly.  We have Diamond status as well 

6 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

IF people wish to arrive prior to their allocated time, I really do hope they will respect the staff if they do have to wait and not, as is so often the case, rush to CC to complain about it. That's only fair isn't it.

Thank you for the bold font attempt to chastise those of us who have experienced first hand the illogical nature of MSC's onboarding times.

Ours was changed no less than 4 times in 4 separate emails leading up to our last voyage.  As such we recognized (correctly in our opinion) that they had no idea what they were doing with regards to this aspect of the process. 

We printed out the one with the earliest time in case someone at the port asked.  They did not.   As indicated earlier, I am not willing to get on my high horse and lose a half of day of holiday to show that I boarded when one of my four emails asked me to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For Divinia, many of us had 8:59 pm up until week of sailing when ship was leaving at 5pm.  Then got no less then three emails, texts, online boarding times all different last couple days.

If their systems can't get it straight then I'd say go with time that suits you best.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you who provided helpful responses!

As I stated, this is my first time with MSC. I'm not trying to cheat any system or arrive any earlier than I'm supposed to. HOWEVER, when the cruise line gives you very little guidance on the matter, does not let you pick or choose your own time, and you literally have to search your documents to find your arrival time - it warrants questions! 

Also, very suspicious it seems like a lot of Divina cruisers have 3 PM check-in times. If we all adhered to that, it would create a huge mess at the port!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Seriously?

What is the point in them issuing times and spreading out the Covid safety process if everyone is going to ignore it.

Why not just work with the cruiseline, abide by their system and then enjoy your cruise.

Maybe the cruiseline shall also work with their customers and let people pick a time? Everyone may not get the time they want but many will.

If we get a late time for our cruise next summer we will still arrive early. If they tell us to wait we will wait.

7 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I have also experienced MSC (and two other cruiseline) boarding processes this year. I'm back on MSC in a few weeks too.

If I had been given 4 different times, I would go with the final one I received.

Things change all the time at the moment - and we must simply change with them. Just as Covid testing requirements seem to change almost weekly.

IF there is no line when you get to check-in, staff are obviously not going to cause upset by making you wait until your allocated time - and I think that is what many of those arriving early have experienced.

BUT, I still stand by my bold comment that if you arrive before your (last received) allocated time, then do not complain if you have to wait. That surely is sensible and I can't believe people would even argue about it - no doubt those same people will be moaning if they are forced to wait too.

I don't really care if you don't agree with me - just don't whinge if you are "inconvenienced".

I honestly don’t understand how msc is in business. Just had 3 weeks on grandiosa and a trauma ward in rikers island would have been more peaceful.  

3 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I still stand by my bold comment that if you arrive before your (last received) allocated time, then do not complain if you have to wait. That surely is sensible and I can't believe people would even argue about it - no doubt those same people will be moaning if they are forced to wait too.

No one that has responded is complaining that they will have to wait, and no no one is arguing about THAT, (bold, caps).

The point that is being made is that MSC obviously has no clue about their own boarding procedures, and if we all arrived at the 3PM time we have been given the mass chaos that you would have us avoid, will actually happen.

Kind of apocalyptic.

If we are told to wait, WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT, (bold, caps).

We'll just go to the bar down the street and have a few while we wait and laugh about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I have also experienced MSC (and two other cruiseline) boarding processes this year. I'm back on MSC in a few weeks too.

If I had been given 4 different times, I would go with the final one I received.

Things change all the time at the moment - and we must simply change with them. Just as Covid testing requirements seem to change almost weekly.

IF there is no line when you get to check-in, staff are obviously not going to cause upset by making you wait until your allocated time - and I think that is what many of those arriving early have experienced.

BUT, I still stand by my bold comment that if you arrive before your (last received) allocated time, then do not complain if you have to wait. That surely is sensible and I can't believe people would even argue about it - no doubt those same people will be moaning if they are forced to wait too.

I don't really care if you don't agree with me - just don't whinge if you are "inconvenienced".

Nobody on this thread is arguing except you. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks... Just wanted to provide an update to my original question/concern. I received updated boarding documents yesterday (so 8 days prior to sailing) and they have updated my embarkation time to 10:30 am. I did nothing on my end, this was done automatically. So it seems they are addressing the late embarkation times, albeit at the last minute. Hope this helps someone else!

3 hours ago, stormy_weatherman said:

Hey folks... Just wanted to provide an update to my original question/concern. I received updated boarding documents yesterday (so 8 days prior to sailing) and they have updated my embarkation time to 10:30 am. I did nothing on my end, this was done automatically. So it seems they are addressing the late embarkation times, albeit at the last minute. Hope this helps someone else!

Thanks for the update! A number of us on Divina have had our times pushed up. Mine went from 3pm to 12:30pm to now being 11:30 am. 
Have a great time!