New to NCL & Hawaii. Think POA cruises will resume in 2022?

MaChere

We are hoping to cruise Hawaii in 2022 for our 50th Anniversary. 🎉 Should I keep my hopes up that POA will sail in the spring? Any former cruisers have pointers on POA? On memorable excursions? A great luau? Thanks in advance for your thoughts or suggestions. 

Sharon

We're in a similar situation.  Since we're committed to cruise on our anniversary, I've just booked both the POA cruise and a backup cruise for the same week.  That should maximize our chances of sailing somewhere.  Of course, I'll have to commit when final payment date arrives.  One of my concerns is that the POA sailings will begin but Hawaii may place some heavy restrictions on things like shore excursions.  To answer your question, my favorite excursion was Waimea Canyon on Kauai.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MaChere said:

We are hoping to cruise Hawaii in 2022 for our 50th Anniversary. 🎉 Should I keep my hopes up that POA will sail in the spring? Any former cruisers have pointers on POA? On memorable excursions? A great luau? Thanks in advance for your thoughts or suggestions. 

Sharon

I also thought the Waimea Canyon was time well spent.  We also enjoyed the Road to Hana (spoiler - the only thing there was a really expensive grocery store and gas station) but it's a long trip through major rainforest areas.  The volcanoes park tour isn't going to take to the the rim of an active volcano or anything, but it's something to do in Hilo.  In Kona I took a tender ashore and went to the Kona Brewery Tour at about 10am (that's when they held them) and got hammered (aka highly recommended).  You learn that the only Kona beer brewed there is sold by the keg, the bottled stuff on the ship is made in Portland.  Did a movie tour in Kauai, kind of cheesy unless you're a fan of Elvis in Blue Hawaii, the resort they filmed at is a wreck.  The beachfront shown in the opening of Gilligan's Island is basically a residential neighborhood.  

We didn't do the luau but the one the ship sells was very popular and the people who went were quite happy.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 12:22 PM, MaChere said:

Sharon

The POA is the absolutely the best way to see Hawaii. You're in port every day, 2 days overnight to allow you to go to your luau... and maybe a sunrise bike ride down a volcano. 

We travel to Hawaii often (taking the non-stop from DFW to HNL). I would strongly recommend getting to Hawaii a day or two early to start getting over the jet lag and 4 or 5 hour time zone difference from Texas. 

Hawaii is our favorite vacation location and the POA being sidelined for nearly 2 years hurts. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I think Princess is planning its first Hawaii cruise in March, so it does seem like cruise lines are trying to resume those cruises in 2022. Hopefully it works out!

I'm seeing a Grand Princess as early as Jan 4.  I'm also seeing a Carnival on Jan 9.  Hopefully those will all happen and it will be smooth sailing for the POA later in the Spring.

28 minutes ago, roger001 said:

However….I just checked for NCL prices in March….outrageous!   But, the good news, SWA points for advanced flight there then, like stealing. 

Yep.  I can't book mine until Dec 8 (when SWA opens up the next batch of days), but I'm hoping the prices don't go up too much by then.