New to Cunard - various questions

Twolittleboys

I am booked on the 12-day Canary Island cruise in early December - this will be my first cruise with Cunard (mostly Royal Caribbean so far) and I do have a couple of questions:

Trying to decide about a drinks package:

- Am I correct that it is allowed to bring soda on board (and maybe also other drinks)? Is there a fridge or something to keep drinks cool in the cabin?

- I believe Cunard has Pepsi products in general, but does serve Coke in vintage bottles in some of the bars etc. Does anyone have experience with how difficult it is to get a Coke/where to get it? Do they have it in the MDR?

- Are there any free drinks (ice water/lemonade/ etc.) available? If so, when and where?

- Does the premium soft drink option include bottled sodas (yes, I do much prefer Coke to Pepsi)?

- How does it work if you order a drink without a drink package - do you have to hand over the card/sign etc.? How about with a package? Do you still have to sign or is it enough to show the card?

Arrival procedure:

- I believe at some point I will be assigned a check-in time to get to the ship, correct? If someone shows up a lot earlier, is there a way to drop off the suitcases already? I would like to book my train journey soon but don't know when check-in at the port will be. Not bothered by spending some time in Southampton but not with luggage.

I think that is it for the moment - I am sure I will think of more questions. Of course any other tips would be appreciated!

One other thing. I would book the earliest train possible to allow for delays. You don't want to be worrying about missing the ship, while stuck because of signal problems. In fact, if you are further away than Waterloo, I would come down the previous day, just to avoid worry.

• Like 2

Thanks! I did read somewhere you could bring on whatever but then saw some older posts that talked about just one bottle of alcohol (not really planning to bring on anything other than soda anyway) so thought I would check.

I will fly in from Germany two day before but plan to spend one day in London and then travel to Southampton in the morning. I was indeed planning on taking a fairly early train (and I guess if closer to the time it turned out that strikes/bad weather etc. are expected I might travel down the night before) but was wondering whether there is a way to get rid of the suitcase so I could explore Southampton instead of just sitting at the port.

If you have a  serious Coke habit, there there is nothing to stop you bringing a case of your desired soda on board for personal consumption, stick it in the room fridge to keep cold, and remember to ask the steward to empty it first. You could event top up at each port if so desired - It's pretty expensive on board if I remember correctly.

15552D78-337C-488A-9FD5-E2ECCBAC6C07.thumb.jpeg.956ce3ec66cf01b5264be9bc67bf175a.jpeg

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, rakkor said:

If you have a  serious Coke habit, there there is nothing to stop you bringing a case of your desired soda on board for personal consumption, stick it in the room fridge to keep cold, and remember to ask the steward to empty it first. You could event top up at each port if so desired - It's pretty expensive on board if I remember correctly.

15552D78-337C-488A-9FD5-E2ECCBAC6C07.thumb.jpeg.956ce3ec66cf01b5264be9bc67bf175a.jpeg

Yes, I plan on bringing on some cans - I like to have a soda sometimes in the cabin in the evening etc. 

I can't quite tell where the menu is from - I was wondering if it is possible to get a Coke at dinner in the MDR? Or is it only available in some bars? Also, would it be included in the premium soft drink package?

Additional question: Can you take food into the cabin (e.g. from the buffet) - for a late night snack for example?

I guess I am trying to figure out whether the drink package would be worth it. On my last cruise I generally had one cocktail a day, a soda in the room, maybe one additional soda at dinner, and drank the free lemonade/water the rest of the time. So a package wouldn't have been worth it.

However, if Cunard does not serve free lemonade/ice water at meals I would obviously order more drinks and it might be worth it. Not too keen on Pepsi or fountain drinks so the soda package doesn't appeal. 

That was the Commodore Club - QE August this year - Re: snacking food - I have in the past yes - mainly breakfast for Jane on her lazy days, but that was back in the day when the Lido/Kings Court was a buffet and had food accessible. The sommelier will get you any drink you desire in the MDR. Iced water is plentiful and free at dinner. The premium soda package included cans and bottled drinks, at $29 per person per day.

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Thanks! I did read somewhere you could bring on whatever but then saw some older posts that talked about just one bottle of alcohol (not really planning to bring on anything other than soda anyway) so thought I would check.

The (US) booking terms do mention on bottle of wine per passenger (I think the UK terms omit this) but I've never seen any hint of enforcement at any port, wither embarkation or port of call.

Some of your other questions:

Ice, water, lemonade (the American kind, traditionally lemon juice, water sugar), iced tea, fruit juice is free in Kings Court/Lido. If you're dining in Britannia similar.sane drinks are free.

You hand over your card for any drink purchase. I think with the package your purchase is reversed overnight.

At least before COVID you could arrive earlier than your assigned time and could check in.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Additional question: Can you take food into the cabin (e.g. from the buffet) - for a late night snack for example?

No need to “carry” in person, room service do this for one, with and extensive menu.

• Like 1

Thanks so much everybody - many/most of my questions are answered.

I can bring on soda and keep it cold in the cabin. The "usual" drinks are available for free in the buffet and apparently they (or at least ice water) is also free in the MDR. Coke seems to be available in the MDR by special request and it sounds like it would be included in the premium package.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

No need to “carry” in person, room service do this for one, with and extensive menu.

Is room service free or is there a charge (Royal's used to be free but now has a charge). 

To be honest, in the past (pre-Covid) what happened on Royal was that I sometimes had a hard time choosing between several dinner options but often certain options (like soups or other foods that can be done in a buffet) were also available in the buffet. So I would order one for dinner in the MDR but later go by the buffet to get a smaller serving of the food I "missed" (I am not a big eater actually, but the MDR servings generally were not very big). Or I would just get a small snack (like some cheese, olives, tapas etc.) - I probably wouldn't want to bother room service about this.

My question was more as I have also travelled with Aida and they have neither room service nor are you allowed to take food out of the buffet restaurant (unless someone is sick). 

I came up with some additional questions, this time more about dining:

- I think I read that the buffet at the moment is run like a regular restaurant and has the same food as the MDR. So what is the difference between them (other than dress code/location)?

- Do you need reservations to eat at buffet/MDR/specialty dining?

- Is there an App or how do you make reservations if needed?

- Is the MDR open for all meals or only for certain ones?

Anything else I should know about dining/restaurants?

32 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

- Do you need reservations to eat at buffet/MDR/specialty dining?

Yes

- Is there an App or how do you make reservations if needed?

App - really a page on the ships intranet rather than a true app

32 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

- Is the MDR open for all meals or only for certain ones?

All

Anything else I should know about dining/restaurants?

Don't forget about the Pub for lunch 

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Ugh, not so happy about the App. It was a HUGE pain on my last cruise. Do you need internet access for it to work?

Speaking of which - I did not see cost for internet in the cruise planner. Did I just overlook it?

Do you need a reservation for the pub as well?

2 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

Is room service free or is there a charge (Royal's used to be free but now has a charge). 

To be honest, in the past (pre-Covid) what happened on Royal was that I sometimes had a hard time choosing between several dinner options but often certain options (like soups or other foods that can be done in a buffet) were also available in the buffet. So I would order one for dinner in the MDR but later go by the buffet to get a smaller serving of the food I "missed" (I am not a big eater actually, but the MDR servings generally were not very big). Or I would just get a small snack (like some cheese, olives, tapas etc.) - I probably wouldn't want to bother room service about this.

My question was more as I have also travelled with Aida and they have neither room service nor are you allowed to take food out of the buffet restaurant (unless someone is sick). 

With Room Service, one can decide the size of the portions.

In the MDR if “hungry” then one can as for larger portion of any item on the Menu.  Also an additional main or side of choice.

If, for any reason, one “must” carry food from the Buffet, please note there are no trays available.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Ugh, not so happy about the App. It was a HUGE pain on my last cruise. Do you need internet access for it to work?

Speaking of which - I did not see cost for internet in the cruise planner. Did I just overlook it?

My understanding is the "My Voyage" digital planner website (aka "app") is free to use after connecting to the ship's wi-fi. No need for an internet package for that.

Here are the prices I have for internet packages from 2019. Cunard charges for internet access by the minute. Log in to your internet package, access the internet, and then don't forget to log out after you are done with the internet or the clock will keep ticking even if you turn off your device.

30 minutes = $15

120 minutes = $45 

240 minutes = $80

480 minutes = $135

960 minutes = $220

1,920 minutes = $330

The pub did not accept reservations pre-COVID. I don't know if it that venue is now included in places where you can make reservations or join a virtual queue in the "My Voyage" digital planner though. Perhaps someone who has been on a recent voyage can help with that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Have not paid for years, being D one gets 8 hours free.  The last time one checked think it was about $45.00 for 2 hours, but there were longer (cost effective) packages available and when boarding, there was a “free extra minutes” for buying on the first day.  
Tip.  
Note to self.  Don’t forget to LOGIN and LOGOUT - Repeat - Don’t forget to LOGIN and LOGOUT - Switching off one’s device does not end the connection - LOGOUT !

When managing Emails, first LOGIN - Download - then immediately LOGOUT - deal with Emails, sends etc - Then LOGIN- Send - Then immediately LOGOUT 

Ship’s Internet is slow, reception in some areas is non existent and has the ability to crash for no reason.  

No reservation needed for the PUB.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Correction
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

I found the app to be painless, YMMV though

Good. My issue actually was quite specific as the cruise had two embarkation ports but anyone starting in Rome (as I did) was not able to use the app for reservations etc. (even though the whole cruise experience was set up to rely on app usage). So hopefully this will be a much better experience.

Wow, the internet prices are quite high! I guess I will have to come up with some system to limit the minutes. And thanks for the reminder about logging out everyone! So easy to forget. It is based only on minutes and not on data though, right? So if my phone does some sort of automatic update/download while I am online it won't cause issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twolittleboys said:

Wow, the internet prices are quite high! I guess I will have to come up with some system to limit the minutes. And thanks for the reminder about logging out everyone! So easy to forget. It is based only on minutes and not on data though, right? So if my phone does some sort of automatic update/download while I am online it won't cause issue?

Correct. Internet charges are not based on data usage. The available bandwidth can be an issue at times such that automatic updates/downloads might not complete in a reasonable amount of time. But you will only be metered for the minutes you are connected, not for your data usage.

• Like 1

@TwolittleboysCunard is wonderful, special, unique, and our absolute favorite line…

But

They do not have their technology as advanced as other lines. So just know that they don’t.

We are business owners who must stay connected for work… and we have elderly family who needed to stay in contact. Disconnecting from technology is not an option.

So just be prepared.

Cunard is fabulous… but improving their tech is an issue they will have to face going forward. 

• Like 1