Free Testing vs. At home Test

AVCruzers

After our experience yesterday, we are now supporters of the at home test for covid.  We live in an area where I can literally walk to a Rite Aid, CVS  or Walgreens; none of which supplies the necessary antigen or PCR tests.  Closest recommended test from Princess website was a Walmart (connected with Quest Diagnostics) in another town--not exactly walking distance!    I went on Quest website and made appointments for both myself and DH.  They sent a confirmation of the appointments complete with QR codes.  They also sent each of us a reminder both last week and this past week.  Went to appointments on time yesterday only to be told that I could take the test but some information was missing from his application.  Pharmacist recommended that we drive the entire way home, get on computer to add information and return in time for them to close.  NOT!  I took my test and who knows when I will get results--embarkation is tomorrow in San Pedro.  After reading so many posts here on CC, I decided just last weekend to order at home home tests from Optum.  Frustrated, we came home and DH had his test completed within 25 minutes.  I have chatted with 3 other people who have had similar problems with the Quest website.   Why would Quest send 3 reminders on an application not complete????  One couple ended up paying high price to have a test at a corner store.  I don't fault Walmart and I was feeling guilty for possibly  making mistake on husband's application.  May not have been my fault.   Tomorrow will be our first post pandemic cruise but we also have cruises planned for Dec., Jan and Feb.  LONG TIME NO SEA-tired of being home and not getting any younger.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AVCruzers said:

Pharmacist recommended that we drive the entire way home, get on computer to add information and return in time for them to close

It is regrettable that the pharmacist didn't just tell you to go to the website on your smartphone and add the info!!  Why drive anywhere?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AVCruzers said:

After our experience yesterday, we are now supporters of the at home test for covid.  We live in an area where I can literally walk to a Rite Aid, CVS  or Walgreens; none of which supplies the necessary antigen or PCR tests. .  

So why didn't use one you could walk to. I used CVS earlier this month and had my negative results in hours. 

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

So why didn't use one you could walk to. I used CVS earlier this month and had my negative results in hours. 

I think the challenge was the local ones didn't offer the quick turn-around tests.  Same situation for me.  I've got half a dozen pharmacies reasonably close but the closest place to offer a rapid test is 20 miles away.  I'll be order the at-home kits that princess recommends for my december cruise.

Sorry you had to experience such an issue.  This appears to be another instance of half-baked technology in action.  So many companies are depending on whiz-bang technology to do the work for them and nobody has fully vetted the actual process.  Case in point-your "missing information".  That's just an example of a poorly written web page (or app) that was not doing adequate error checking.  It's just not hard to write code that checks for correctness, but it is not being stressed with the younger generation these days.  If it "looks cool" or just gives the appearance of "getting the job done" with test info then it is passed through quality control with minimal real world testing.

10 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

They did not give those tests.  I stopped to ask even after checking their website.