Jumped to Royal for the first time

marktwothousand

On 11/1/2021 at 6:59 PM, marktwothousand said:

I have only done NCL cruises but decided to jump to Royal for the first time. I’m feeling a little bummed about it because I love NCL. But I was able to get a cabin solo on Symphony of the Seas which has really been my dream ship but way out of my price range until now. I was able to get an interior for $820US. I am also bummed about no drinks package included, but again, symphony was a bucket list ship for me. 

Ultimately what did it though, is I am just finding the NCL selection a little lacking this winter. Anyone else feel the same? I was not a fan of the encore, and I really want to leave from MIA/FLL. So it didn’t leave a lot of options. Hope I can find something to come back to NCL in 2022. I got cruise next’s to use and I can’t afford Royal forever 🙂

Also, I am not loving the under-12 unvaccinated thing, but whatever, I won’t be around kids much and most of the venues I’ll be in are vaccinated-only

anyone else an NCL’er who tried Royal for the first time and if so, what will I notice different?

I am not exclusive to one particular cruise line.  I go with the destination and the ship.  I have been on multiple oasis class ships and they are amazing.  Food is better, they have more snack / cafe / pizza venues to keep you satisfied through out the day so you don’t rely on MDR as much.  Food at MDR is better with more selection.  The dinning package for the specialty restaurant is a good way to try some of the specialty restaurants ( 150 Park is my favorite followed by Jamie’s or Giovanni’s Table depending on the ship). You do have to look at cruise planner since they do dynamic pricing so the price will fluctuate greatly.  Prices will be higher onboard so it’s best to buy before hand.  They also have a lot more premium experiences onboard than NCL.  I don’t feel like they nickel and dime you as much as NCL.  Central Park is amazing and the Central Park balcony is priced reasonably and gives you a different perspective and when you are within 60 days the price to upgrade drops significantly if they have inventory.  I remember my first time on the Oasis Class ship and it was eye opening.  A lot to explore.  I also like Perfect Day better than NCLs island.  I think you will enjoy it.

1 minute ago, BennyBrun said:

I also like Perfect Day better than NCLs island.  I think you will enjoy it.

Oh. I’ve been. But don’t get us started on the whole Perfect Day thing.

Last time I spoke about my experience on CocoCay on another thread, it was because I found the sand rough and bits were getting into my thongs and the conversation devolved into guys trading Speedo pics. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, marktwothousand said:

Oh. I’ve been. But don’t get us started on the whole Perfect Day thing.

Last time I spoke about my experience on CocoCay on another thread, it was because I found the sand rough and bits were getting into my thongs and the conversation devolved into guys trading Speedo pics. 

Hahaha… yeah I saw that … It’s amazing how far they strayed from the OP.  It’s entertaining to say the least.

You will like the symphony.  Enjoy the cruise.  I am booked on Oasis of the sea at the end of January and I am excited to see the amped up version.

7 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

Hahaha… yeah I saw that … It’s amazing how far they strayed from the OP.  It’s entertaining to say the least.

You will like the symphony.  Enjoy the cruise.  I am booked on Oasis of the sea at the end of January and I am excited to see the amped up version.

I’m off the symphony and heading to the getAway 

• Like 1

I think variety is the spice of life. I have cruised Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, NCL, Princess, and Royal Caribbean.  I like them all.  Each offers something different.  Each has different things they do best.  I'd have a hard time picking a "favorite."  There are times when I appreciate older/smaller ships. There is also something about being on the largest cruise ship in the world.  I'd never limit myself to one cruise line.

• Like 1

We have only been on the Bliss but have experience with most of the other lines and different  class ships on RCCL.  Mark, I pretty well agree with your review.   We really liked our Bliss experience.  The food was excellent, the wrap around deck, the Irish Pub where you could just hang out and be entertained by all the always-on game shows and activities while having a pint and some pub food, the windowed area at the bow was just beautiful....  (sorry, I do not remember all the proper names).

BUT the pool deck was horrible, the worst.  A huge ship with a tiny pool, and the deck chairs so close it was an obstacle course just getting out of the chair, everyone is so jammed in like a nightclub.  The pool had two levels of defence to get in.  Every inch was taken by someone sitting with their feet in the water.  It was tough to get in or out.  The hot tubs the same, so small people only sat on the edge putting their feet in.  The vibe was good around the pool.  People were socializing and having a good time....but not for us all day everyday.

But lots of space on the go-kart track but they would not let me put a lounger on the track.

I was a bit miffed that we could not secure reservations at the Steak House for any day even trying to book before we unpacked on day one, but we did get other specialty reservations and were never disappointed by any meal even in the MDR.  

We would jump on The Bliss for a cold climate cruise like Alaska or Northern Europe but never again for the south.  

I find Royal and NCL to be much more alike than different.  

That said, I cruised an Oasis class ship recently at 50% capacity, I wouldn't want to be on it at full capacity.

I think they are too big...I think the next size down ship would have been better..Quantum class?  More comparable in size to the Away class ships on NCL.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

You are going to have an amazing time! I believe that the Oasis class of ship is an exceptional design and think the biggest difference between the oasis class and breakaway class is space ratio. The space ratio is much better on Symphony (in other words, while Symphony is bigger, it won't feel nearly as crowded).

We love the waterfront design on the aways, but that is traded off for a wonderful adult only solarium, boardwalk, and central park.  Any cruise enthusiast should sail on the Oasis Class at some point. It will take you a few days just to absorb all she has to offer. It's truly a engineering wonder. 

• Like 1

I've been on 2 Oasis Class ships at full capacity and they are less crowded than the Escape or the Jewel I've been on, though i like NCL enough to have a 14 day on the Jade booked in Nov. 2023. Good food and entertainment, even on the smaller ships.

• Like 1

The Mandara Spa on NCL is the deal breaker for me. Sailed on Symphony pre-Covid and their spa doesn't hold a candle to NCL's Mandara Spa. Entertainment on Symphony was top notch, but we found the size of the ship overwhelming. We kept comparing everything to NCL. Looking forward to our cruise we just booked on the new NCL Prima.

• Like 1