Divina 11009 - Risky for first-timers?

KellyCz

We're working with a TA for a summer 2022 cruise, and she has proposed suite 11009 on MSC Divina. Looks spacious for three adults, but wondering if motion sickness is more likely to be an issue due to its location near the front of the ship. Two of us have never cruised and one of us only once (midship, deck 5 on Oceania Nautica). We like the itinerary and schedule. How much consideration should we give to location with regard to motion sickness? Would it be smarter to go with something lower and midship?

With the current MO of MSC, I would not count on being able to retain that cabin .

Another consideration is the itinerary. That maybe also temporary. 
Just be realistic. When looking at MSC for a cruise, this seems to be the best approach when considering a cruise. You must be willing to be very patient and flexible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KellyCz said:

Would it be smarter to go with something lower and midship?

For me no recognizable difference. 

30 minutes ago, phissy said:

Another consideration is the itinerary. That maybe also temporary. 

Just my opinion, but I don´t think this "temporary" thing is a topic anymore in Summer 2022. Long time all back to normal then. 

• Like 1

I’m usually loathe to give advice on here, but, in the current climate, I wouldn’t book anything with MSC if the cabin is what you’re booking for.  You need to read the ‘Lost my room’ thread and inform yourself of how MSC is behaving at the moment and decide if you want to risk it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

One thing to consider is that fact that a as forward facing cabin, wind may be an issue on the balcony while the ship is in motion.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

For me no recognizable difference. 

Thank you for answering my actual question! Anyone else have thoughts on location within the ship related to motion sickness?

11 minutes ago, KellyCz said:

Anyone else have thoughts on location within the ship related to motion sickness?

If someone in your party is predisposed to getting motion sickness, yet is OK with trying a cruise, I'd look for something mid-ship lower deck around the center of gravity. But you're not likely to find a suite there.

On the other hand, if you are just thinking "what if", then I would choose your cabin without regard to this consideration. Motion sickness isn't as much of a thing as people who have never cruised think it is. Cruise ships have solutions such as stabilizer fins and ballast tanks to minimize rock 'n roll except in fairly rough seas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KellyCz said:

We're working with a TA for a summer 2022 cruise, and she has proposed suite 11009 on MSC Divina. Looks spacious for three adults, but wondering if motion sickness is more likely to be an issue due to its location near the front of the ship. Two of us have never cruised and one of us only once (midship, deck 5 on Oceania Nautica). We like the itinerary and schedule. How much consideration should we give to location with regard to motion sickness? Would it be smarter to go with something lower and midship?

I am VERY VERY prone to motion sickness and have been since I was a kid. 
For measure I get sick floating on a raft in our pool if the kids are jumping around making “waves”. 
We took our grandson to Great Wolf Lodge last weekend and on the family water slide the raft got turned around and I went down backwards the entire way…my DH said I was green when I got off. It ruined my whole day I felt so sick. 

I’ve been on dozens of cruises with cabins in pretty much all areas of the ship.

I have only gotten sick on one sailing and that was Boston to Bermuda on the old Majesty ship that was only about 30,000 tons. 

The huge modern cruise ships of today are very smooth. We’ve had some pretty rough seas and I’ve been ok and I am very sensitive to motion. 

Nobody really knows what an individual can or can’t handle but I’m fairly confident in saying as long as you’re not cruising during a hurricane you should be fine. You will find you’re not in your room all that much anyway. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

On the other hand, if you are just thinking "what if", then I would choose your cabin without regard to this consideration. Motion sickness isn't as much of a thing as people who have never cruised think it is. Cruise ships have solutions such as stabilizer fins and ballast tanks to minimize rock 'n roll except in fairly rough seas.

Thanks! No known motion sickness--this is just a "what if." Your response is reassuring.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I’ve been on dozens of cruises with cabins in pretty much all areas of the ship.

I have only gotten sick on one sailing and that was Boston to Bermuda on the old Majesty ship that was only about 30,000 tons. 

The huge modern cruise ships of today are very smooth. We’ve had some pretty rough seas and I’ve been ok and I am very sensitive to motion. 

This sets my mind at ease. Thank you for your very detailed response.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KellyCz said:

Thanks! No known motion sickness--this is just a "what if." Your response is reassuring.

You’re very welcome!

I keep this with me at all times. It’s all natural and safe. Just apply a drop behind each ear and even works if you are already feeling motion sickness which a lot of the otc drugs do not do. 
I get it on Amazon or at Walmart sometimes. 

195EEB4F-F38F-4F20-8B1A-BD5703E83E16.jpeg

• Like 1

Definitely will suffer more with motion sickness in that area of the ship if you’re prone to it or/and if the seas are rough.  I don’t suffer it as a rule but did twice when in forward cabins, but both times was during stormy weather.  Didn’t suffer in rough seas when mid ships. 

• Like 1

If it were me and there were 3 adults sailing I would rather have 2 cabins (assuming one is a "couple"). I'd value the privacy over a suite.  That being said, there is a chance that even if you book adjoining cabins and lock your reservations together that something might get moved along the way.

38 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

If it were me and there were 3 adults sailing I would rather have 2 cabins (assuming one is a "couple"). I'd value the privacy over a suite.  That being said, there is a chance that even if you book adjoining cabins and lock your reservations together that something might get moved along the way.

See post #8.  Apparently the OP only wants the motion sickness issue addressed and is not interested in hearing that there is a risk that the subject may be moot if they book the cabin and MSC changes it to a guarantee, as is happening a lot at the moment.  Same one will come on here crying if that does happen.  🙄

57 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

The third is our daughter--young adult.