Jump to content

Safe to book 11:50 AM flight from CPH?


kochleffel
 Share

Recommended Posts

This would be after a cruise on Royal Caribbean, which I think uses Oceankaj. It's for a KLM flight to Amsterdam, connecting to Delta.

 

It feels like a bare minimum of time, but the later connections are too tight at a connecting point, much more expensive, via JFK, or all three.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Oceankaj. Not a problem at all - you can easily be at the airport before 9 (depending on when you can disembark).

You might want to pre-book a taxi (apps available) - no more than 30 minutes drive to airport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My own experience Is to fly out of Copenhagen anytime after 9am is not a problem.   However you need to give yourself enough time for the connection flight since the security checks are very strict.   We booked an earlier flight which transferred  in Munich and my friends booked a later one, they gave themselves 1.5 hours for transfer but almost miss the flight.   Even fly out of Vienna took us very long time to pass security check.  Well, of course that was before Pandemic, don’t know if things getting better now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Elzacruiser said:

My own experience Is to fly out of Copenhagen anytime after 9am is not a problem.   However you need to give yourself enough time for the connection flight since the security checks are very strict.   We booked an earlier flight which transferred  in Munich and my friends booked a later one, they gave themselves 1.5 hours for transfer but almost miss the flight.   Even fly out of Vienna took us very long time to pass security check.  Well, of course that was before Pandemic, don’t know if things getting better now.  

It's not just security. You have to go through passport control at the last airport before leaving the EU, which in your case was Munich.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, of course, passport control is another issue which takes time since it’s always long line.  If your time is tight, sometimes the airline staff will help you through short cuts.  But when it comes to security check, no one has any privileges, you have to wait in the line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Elzacruiser said:

passport control is another issue which takes time since it’s always long line.

 

I experienced that at Stockholm a couple of years ago. Exit control is often a surprise to Americans since we don't have it. But I don't think that there is any passport control between Copenhagen and Amsterdam, because both are in the Schengen Area.

 

There will be at Amsterdam, departing for the U.S.; I have more than two hours for the connection. I've also allowed plenty of time, about four hours, for entry to the Schengen Area, on the outbound flight. The airline timetables allow much shorter connections but a timetable is no guarantee of anything.

 

However, KLM at CPH should verify that I'm eligible to enter the United States, before letting me board a flight to connect to the U.S. I'll also have to check a bag.

 

10 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You have to go through passport control at the last airport before leaving the EU

Last airport before leaving the Schengen Area. Some Schengen countries are not in the EU, and a few EU countries haven't yet implemented the Schengen agreement.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Last airport before leaving the Schengen Area. Some Schengen countries are not in the EU, and a few EU countries haven't yet implemented the Schengen agreement.

You are right. I stand corrected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, I have a slightly different question.  We are looking at a departure from Stockholm with a connection in London, and then on to Chicago. This is a day after the cruise. 
 

Are there issues I should consider? I can start a different thread if advisable. Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, milolii said:

Are there issues I should consider?

Much longer from Cruise terminal to Airport - at least an hour. Then only difference is Schengen passport control in Stockholm - just add a little more time but still check-in two hours prior to departure In Stockholm should be sufficient. Luggage is checked through to ORD.

Edited by hallasm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 11:58 AM, hallasm said:

Much longer from Cruise terminal to Airport - at least an hour. Then only difference is Schengen passport control in Stockholm

 

This was my experience in 2019, but I stayed in Stockholm another day after the cruise, which milolii is also doing. I wouldn't have made it to the airport in time for a flight that arrived at a reasonable time. Exit control at ARN took a long time, solely because of the large number of passengers and the small number of agents.

 

Milolii, do you know which Stockholm terminal your cruise will arrive at?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree an 11:50AM is fine for a flight.  A couple years ago we were on a cruise that overnighted in Copenhagen before disembarking the next day, and we had a 10:00 AM flight that worked fine.  For those saying a 9AM flight is OK, I would only do that if the ship is overnighting in port so you know the ship will not be late arriving and you know your cruise line will let you disembark around 6AM.  But I would personally do an 11:50AM flight if the ship is supposed to arrive the same day by 8AM.  This gives you more than an hour of flexibility to cover delays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, kochleffel said:

 

This was my experience in 2019, but I stayed in Stockholm another day after the cruise, which milolii is also doing. I wouldn't have made it to the airport in time for a flight that arrived at a reasonable time. Exit control at ARN took a long time, solely because of the large number of passengers and the small number of agents.

 

Milolii, do you know which Stockholm terminal your cruise will arrive at?

I do not.   We are on the NCL Dawn, arriving July 28.  We are staying at the Stockholm Sheraton, and departing July 29 to London Heathrow and then Chicago.  Ty.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, milolii said:

We are on the NCL Dawn, arriving July 28.

Dawn will probably dock at Frihamnen, the usual port for a ship of that size that is embarking or disembarking, but I haven't found a schedule that goes that far ahead. Stadsgården seems to be used more for day calls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways - Journey Through Europe
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...