Covid Testing & Carnival

pitmindi

And it is a really good thing people are getting tested. The last thing, the very last thing cruise lines need now is to have a ship (any ship) have a raging infection running through the ship. That would affect not only that cruise line, but all of them. 

So - just get prepped, and just do it, and then be secure, and relax in the knowledge that most everybody on the ship has been vaccinated, and tested. 

• Like 4

On 11/2/2021 at 10:35 AM, Homosassa said:

What reason did you receive for not being eligible?

Of course it didn't tell me why I wasn't eligible, that would have been helpful !  It took another CC member to offer up the answer.  I was purchasing for the 3 of us who are cruising, that's apparently not ok.  I'll try it again, as a back up, but Walgreen's does the BinexIDnow and we're doing it the day before we fly to Miami.

If Walgreen's somehow fail to get our results to us the next day, we will have the proctored kits as back up.  Am I the only person who thinks this test 2 days before cruising BLOWS ?

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, cingroomer said:

This is getting ridiculous and just another money maker for Carnival. They now offer a limited number of rapid testing for 100.00 a person. They say to get the at home test, no one has those. This is ridiculous. They give unvaccinated people 72 hrs to before boarding to get the test but those of us vaccinated only 48 hrs and no one can guarantee test back by then.

They aren’t out of stock. 

Have not received this Email notification. Ordered an Optum Store two pack BinaxNOW COVID-19 HOME TEST (69.99) on Nov 1st. Received it through FedEx 11/4. The expiration date on it was 9/17/21. With the 3 month extension now allowed it puts the true expiration date at 12/17/21. My Breeze trip is 12/6/21 which is on a Monday. There is no rapid test available in my area except at the local hospital and not on a Saturday. My options are limited. I would have been happy to shell out $100 dollars, even if it is somewhat steep, for peace of mind. 

Edited by dafish831
  • Like 2

Ok so reading the information below and recognizing that we cruise December 26th we'd have to be tested December 24th correct? Can I go to a local walkin clinic that has a lab and does antigen testing?  We had a thought of trying the Health Department. Can't find a Quest, CVS or Walgreens that does antigen. Now i find out Binax now has some kits missing the testing liquid.

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing includes laboratory test record, digital certificate and healthcare record.

The results must show first and last name, date of birth, type of test (NAAT or antigen), date and time the sample was taken, test result as either “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED,” laboratory/testing site or healthcare provider details.

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

I think the best suggestion is to have a few options just in case.

I would order the at home tests but also wait to see if Carnival does port testing for Christmas.

I can't see them not doing that since they are offering it for Thanksgiving (and honestly I think Christmas is a harder time to get testing)

Trying to book a back up for our November 20th sailing on the Sunrise.  We have the Binax test but want a back up in case.  Walgreens only books a few days ahead so can't book yet.  Looking at CVS but not sure which test to schedule.  I am vaccinated but some of the terminology

is confusing.  Anyone use CVS?

On 11/6/2021 at 11:19 PM, elainmir said:

Ok so reading the information below and recognizing that we cruise December 26th we'd have to be tested December 24th correct? Can I go to a local walkin clinic that has a lab and does antigen testing?  We had a thought of trying the Health Department. Can't find a Quest, CVS or Walgreens that does antigen. Now i find out Binax now has some kits missing the testing liquid.

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing includes laboratory test record, digital certificate and healthcare record.

The results must show first and last name, date of birth, type of test (NAAT or antigen), date and time the sample was taken, test result as either “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED,” laboratory/testing site or healthcare provider details.

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

That should work if you are sure that they are doing testing on 12/24. Since Christmas falls on Saturday this year, most people will have Friday the 24th off as a holiday. 

5 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

As I and many others travel a long way to get to a port, there needs to be a better solution for this.  I have my next trip in April out of Miami an thats a 2 day drive.

So basically its almost impossible to meet this demand.

If you use the abbott antigen self tests with telemed, you can test at your convenience

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

If you use the abbott antigen self tests with telemed, you can test at your convenience

The anxiety is real. Just who knows if they work properly or even if they dont just come back with no result due to a bad test kit.  Way too much stress... I hope they can get this sorted long before next April.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:19 PM, elainmir said:

We are also cruising on December 26th. Most of the Walgreens in our area are open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and offer the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) with results in less than 24 hours. Our plan is to schedule the earliest appointments we can for Christmas Eve morning.

1 hour ago, skywalkr2 said:

The anxiety is real. Just who knows if they work properly or even if they dont just come back with no result due to a bad test kit.  Way too much stress... I hope they can get this sorted long before next April.

If the stress outweighs the  result, then maybe you need to wait  bit.  Because this is the way it is for right now ( said with the utmost respect🙂 ).

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 7:16 PM, AK2CA said:

They accept the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth if you are fully vaccinated  Be sure it is the Home Test and not the Self Test.  I got mine on eMed but I think they are out.  I believe Optum has them.  Here is a link: https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

I have 8 of the self tests.  I have tried searching for the difference between self test and home test and nothing comes up.  Does anyone for absolute sure that I cannnot use one labeled as self test?  They are the exact same test.  ugh!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

I have 8 of the self tests.  I have tried searching for the difference between self test and home test and nothing comes up.  Does anyone for absolute sure that I cannnot use one labeled as self test?  They are the exact same test.  ugh!

The self tests are not proctured and the home tests are.  It says specifically on the Return to Service FAQs for Carnival that it has to be medically observed. 

Is a self-test acceptable?

Fully vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:33 PM, Bostwick girl said:

our backup plan is the MedEx clinic nearby which is open every day and do testing every day. We used them first time in August. Only thing with them is they charge $50 per person. They did our tests, sent us back to wait in the car and we had our results in 15 minutes.

We have used Med Express in Ft Myers and did not pay for rapid Covid tests.  I guess it depends on what type of insurance you present?

On 10/29/2021 at 7:33 PM, Bostwick girl said:

5 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

Just make sure you have the correct test kits!!!  (See picture below)

The kit on the bottom is the one that is done online with a telehealth person.. 

06CA254C-450B-44EA-8B5E-2455DE02B039.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

We have used Med Express in Ft Myers and did not pay for rapid Covid tests.  I guess it depends on what type of insurance you present?

I don’t think they’re affiliated, but ours doesn’t take insurance for the testing. I didn’t try, but may be able to get reimbursed. Time we got back from our cruise I forgot about trying to get reimbursed.