QM2 USA

BigMac1953

Yes, this seems to be the current rumor. The December arrival at Brooklyn is not on the terminal's schedule. And the cruise mapper website now lists Port Liberty as the QM2 NY home port. Port Liberty is much less convenient than Brooklyn. Your tip is the most "official" indication that it's really happening.

10 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

The terminal schedule for the remainder of the year https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/ does not show any ships using the Brooklyn terminal

Saw that. The Port Liberty schedule only goes as far as October, so it's not possible to confirm it there, just yet  I don't know how accurate CruiseMapper.com is, but this is what it now shows for the QM2:

image.thumb.png.9f057a232b63cabf724818c675ba469c.png

On cruise mapper this is the itinerary for our cruise

1 Dec 13 28 days, round-trip Grand Caribbean Celebration  Southampton  $4759

Cruise Theme: New Year cruise

Date / Time Port
13 Dec     Departing from Southampton, England hotels
20 Dec - 22 Dec     New York, Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC
26 Dec     Tortola Island, Road Town, BVI
27 Dec     Basseterre, Port Zante, St Kitts Island
28 Dec     Bridgetown, Barbados
29 Dec     Roseau, Dominica
30 Dec     Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles
03 Jan     New York, Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC
10 Jan     Arriving in Southampton, England

Sorry to hear this about the POSSIBLE change of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal with the QM2.

I think this is only because of the Pandemic and not permanent.

We know many working longshore men and they state that there are not enough to cover all the piers at this time. Once this health emergency resolves (when ever) the piers (cargo and cruise terminals) will eventually return to as usual.

We unfortunately are not happy  about the relocation living about only 12 minutes away from the Brooklyn Terminal to pickup the Mary 2.

Placing her in NJ would be very unwise. Brooklyn is supplied by 2 international airports compared to NJ with one (Newark). Brooklyn has many hotels and motor courts/lodges and close to Manhattan. NJ not sure what is closes to Newark.

Vacationing in Up State NY, many times we like to use Brooklyn thru Staten Island and have to alternate thru Bayonne cause of traffic/construction to get to the NJ Turnpike. We happen to pass the terminal entrance on our way to the NJT. Very Very inconvenient for those using JFK or LaG airports. It is very challenging to make your way from Brooklyn to Port Liberty.

Many may have opposite opinions but from a Life Long Brooklyn (Metro NY) resident, it would be unfortunate. We use to find it very very big challenge even a longtime ago board at the Manhattan Cruise Terminals in the long past. 

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

there are not enough to cover all the piers at this time

That's not a surprise, and I can live with that as the cause if it's relatively temporary! It'll be great when/if things finally get back to relatively more normal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

That's not a surprise, and I can live with that as the cause if it's relatively temporary! It'll be great when/if things finally get back to relatively more normal.

frank,

We are leaving on 14 day in 10 months (Sept 23) and would like to leave from Brooklyn as a convenience. But understand they are trying to get all up and running from where ever.

The outer harbor is a mess of ships coming in and very little activity we all miss living along the harbor and Narrows entrance.

We all miss the parade of cruise ships from Thursday to Sunday from our three Terminals in Brooklyn, NY and NJ. 

I know what you mean. We've camped at Fort Wadsworth, underneath the Verrazano Narrows bridge. I love sitting on the lawn watching all of the cruise ships depart in the early evening. We've been known to schedule camping visits just so we're there on a day the QM2 departs.

10 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I know what you mean. We've camped at Fort Wadsworth, underneath the Verrazano Narrows bridge. I love sitting on the lawn watching all of the cruise ships depart in the early evening. We've been known to schedule camping visits just so we're there on a day the QM2 departs.

We know Fort W well. We are members of the Community Club in Fort Hamilton across the way and also enjoy the view of the harbor activities from the Bluff. Especially during usual times on Saturday Evening the ships seem closer to the Brooklyn Shore.

The big picture we like it the QM2 making it's way under the bridge and release one horn at middle span. Have to wait till those days return. Cars on the Belt in Brooklyn stop an pull over to see her going thru. All take pictures with their phones. But we secretly know what it is like to be on board after all our sailings on the Mary 2. 

<groan> This would really be too much. Bad enough that QM2 doesn’t dock on the West Side like her illustrious predecessors!  The old German liners use to use Hoboken so I guess there is

some vague link to the past. Let’s hope this is either temporary or a rumor. 

Being in NJ will also certainly make getting into the city a bigger pain during our two overnights on the ship in December. Ugh. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry to hear this about the POSSIBLE change of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal with the QM2.

I think this is only because of the Pandemic and not permanent.

[snip]

Placing her in NJ would be very unwise. Brooklyn is supplied by 2 international airports compared to NJ with one (Newark). Brooklyn has many hotels and motor courts/lodges and close to Manhattan. NJ not sure what is closes to Newark.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on flights related to our transatlantic next May, so I'm very glad @BigMac1953 noticed this. (And others have provided some very useful information - thanks). Definitely going to postpone making any airport decisions for a while.

I'm admittedly not familiar with the ports (or the outlying areas around NYC - especially Jersey - for that matter), but this does seem like a disappointing decision. Hope it's temporary, as @BklynBoy8 suggests.

It happens that we decided we're only doing an overnight before boarding, but our original plan was to spend a few days in Manhattan; this would have been pretty clumsy. Even so (as far as I can see from Google Maps), there are really no hotels near the port at all. Up in Jersey City? Or just stay near Newark Airport?

This would mean there's no sailing by the Statue of Liberty, too, wouldn't it?

A friend who cruised out of Port Liberty stayed at a hotel near Newark Airport (although he doesn't remember the name). That hotel had a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Doing a quick Google search returns a few options. Because Port Liberty was paid for and developed by Royal Caribbean, you could check the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity forums for ideas. Newark International is definitely the closest airport. Although you may find transatlantic options to be scarce there, other than United (as that's one of their hubs).

Oh, and re: sailing past the Statue of Liberty. I saw a reference somewhere to the detail that Royal will sail north, if conditions allow, to sail past the Statue, then resume their normal course of departure. I don't know if they do that when arriving. Or, obviously, if Cunard will make that effort.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Being in NJ will also certainly make getting into the city a bigger pain during our two overnights on the ship in December.

It sure will. Virtually every option requires a taxi or an Uber (either to the local tram stop (Hudson Bergen light rail) or to Newark airport (for NJ transit trains). The environment on the pier appears to be much like that on the QE2 terminal pier in Southampton. I don't mind walking, if the conditions allow. We're making an exploratory visit next week to see just how bad the pedestrian conditions are.

40 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

A friend who cruised out of Port Liberty stayed at a hotel near Newark Airport (although he doesn't remember the name). That hotel had a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Doing a quick Google search returns a few options. Because Port Liberty was paid for and developed by Royal Caribbean, you could check the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity forums for ideas. Newark International is definitely the closest airport. Although you may find transatlantic options to be scarce there, other than United (as that's one of their hubs).

We're coming from Cleveland, so the flight to Newark (EWR) will not be a problem and we'll probably be doing Heathrow to JFK (to CLE) on the return.

Your thoughts on finding a hotel near EWR are very welcome. It certainly argues in favor of taking a much later-in-the-day flight. We'd planned on stumbling around Brooklyn for an afternoon and evening, but EWR, nice as it is :) doesn't excite much enthusiasm.

In any case, I'll wait until the crystal ball clears a little. Hate to book into EWR and find out they've switched back to Red Hook. 

56 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

It sure will. Virtually every option requires a taxi or an Uber (either to the local tram stop (Hudson Bergen light rail) or to Newark airport (for NJ transit trains).

Maybe Cunard will organize a shuttle bus service back and forth. 

DH booked his flight back to CA out of EWR (smart move as it might turn out) while mine is ex JFK.  Alas no option for me to move and now the schlep to the airport might be considerable. Mid day-early afternoon to JFK might not be so bad as it looks to be 45 min with no traffic.

Perhaps there isn’t another docking option for QM2 ATM and after 7 glorious days on the wintery North Atlantic we won’t care. I am indeed profoundly grateful it looks like the trip will be going.  Still, Bayonne is nowhere near as glamorous, convenient and scenic a docking spot as the West Side or even Red Hook for that matter. 

Sic transit gloria Cunardi. 

It sure will. Virtually every option requires a taxi or an Uber (either to the local tram stop (Hudson Bergen light rail) or to Newark airport (for NJ transit trains). The environment on the pier appears to be much like that on the QE2 terminal pier in Southampton. I don't mind walking, if the conditions allow. We're making an exploratory visit next week to see just how bad the pedestrian conditions are.

Frank,

I may be wrong and apologize but i thought if I am not wrong, don't they take you to a terminal building and then be bused to the ship side? Not sure the way it is currently handled. Should be no walk. Before a cruise a hike to what was once the Military Marine Terminal Building in the past. WOW, how Manhattan and Brooklyn sound like a pleasure now.

Oh, and re: sailing past the Statue of Liberty. I saw a reference somewhere to the detail that Royal will sail north, if conditions allow, to sail past the Statue, then resume their normal course of departure. I don't know if they do that when arriving. Or, obviously, if Cunard will make that effort.

Oh the Good Ole Day of sailing the Hudson and experiencing the History.

When we watch the ships exit the Bridge and into the Narrows, those leaving exit rapidly and we sometime miss they. They zip right out! Those from Manhattan, we always wait, wait, wait for that long sailing from Midtown for them to see the sights. 

Frank,

Living several blocks away from the VZ Bridge and having the pleasure of 12 minutes to Brooklyn Terminal I definitely feel for those traveling. If true, now my DW and I are in the Soup Pot. We even talked about this last night even though it's 10 months away.

Unfortunately another attack of the C-19 causing difficulty to travelers and interfering simple past movements we are use to...

33 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

don't they take you to a terminal building and then be bused to the ship side? Not sure the way it is currently handled.

I haven't sailed out of Port Liberty yet. But, based on conversations with friends who have and YouTube videos, the setup looks very similar to Red Hook. It's an 'industrial, warehouse type' of structure. You get dropped off outside, check in, and use a gangway to board. Parking is immediately adjacent. The terminal was designed with the automobile in mind. Auto access is very good and there's abundant parking. But in all other respects it's fairly inconvenient: it's located in a mostly industrial environment. A shuttle bus to either the local tram stop, or Jersey City (the closest town with good transportation options, 15 minutes away: PATH system, Hudson-Bergen light rail and Ferries) might make it tolerable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a very good video on the embarkation experience at Cape Liberty (note: it IS Cape Liberty. I keep calling PORT Liberty for some reason). As I suspected, there's no shuttle bus involved. It's very similar to Brooklyn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1