Pre-cruise testing requirement seems likely for U.S. cruises departing in December 2021

Turtles06

Right now, according to Celebrity's web site, Celebrity's pre-cruise testing policy for U.S. sailings applies only to cruises departing through Nov. 30, 2021.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

When Celebrity recently extended the policy through November, I thought it was odd that they didn't just extend it at least through this calendar year.  It was hard to believe anything would change enough so quickly as to warrant eliminating the testing requirement.  We are on the December 3 sailing of the Silhouette, and we have certainly been planning our schedule as though the pre-cruise test will be required.  I think many others have assumed the same about their December sailings. 

On another thread started today (link below), I noticed that a cruiser embarking on the Summit on December 2 mentioned that they've received a letter from Celebrity entitled "Your health and safety checklist to be ready for your cruise," stating that, "Vaccinated guests 12 and older will be required to present a negative Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of boarding the ship."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812227-pre-arrival-covid-19-test/

I think that letter is a very good indication that Celebrity will be extending the pre-cruise testing requirements for U.S. cruises through the end of this year (at least).  

• Like 1

I had expected the testing when I originally booked December Summit cruise as there was no end date to my knowledge.  Now there is an end date so I am not convinced that the 11/30/21 is an "extension". However, I will continue to proceed with expectation that we will have to test and plan to go into deep bubble/double masking prior to Thanksgiving.  Sorry friends and family, we must go on this cruise. We will see them during December holidays.  Signed, Vaxxed and boostered and in serious need of a cruise

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

They recently extended the Covid-19 Assistance through 4/30/22 so I think the testing requirement will be around until then.

I had that same thought when they did so, which is why I found it so odd that they didn’t go past November when they extended the testing requirement. 

2 minutes ago, donna1009 said:

Now there is an end date so I am not convinced that the 11/30/21 is an "extension".

There’s always been an end date. Celebrity has extended it thru November (from October). And they will likely do so again. 

Edited by Turtles06

4 minutes ago, donna1009 said:

What was it previously?  When I booked I fully assumed we would have to test.

I believe it was the end of October. It was never open ended; it has never applied to our December 2021 cruise, and still doesn’t, but I’m sure it will soon. 

• Like 1

My unofficial guess is the cruise lines will continue to maintain the pre-cruise antigen testing policy through at least Jan 15, 2022 when the CDC CSO is now set to expire, maybe. After all, it was the CDC that “suggested” the cruise lines implement the policy in the first place.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cdc-extends-conditional-sailing-order-until-early-2022/58543

55 minutes ago, jelayne said:

They recently extended the Covid-19 Assistance through 4/30/22 so I think the testing requirement will be around until then.

Totally agree!

Celebrity is not going to put themselves on the hook for paying for anything unless they know you were covid free before boarding.

Just what I would do if it was my business.

cheers

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, donna1009 said:

Deep deep bubble starting just before Thanksgiving.  I refuse to catch that nasty virus. Anyone else plan to skip Thanksgiving this year? Thanks for input.

Nope. We're all vaccinated, and many of us have had boosters. I have suggested that we all pick up the inexpensive home tests (not the monitored ones), just in case, but holidays are on. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donna1009 said:

Deep deep bubble starting just before Thanksgiving.  I refuse to catch that nasty virus. Anyone else plan to skip Thanksgiving this year? Thanks for input.

No, we are vaxed, family is vaxed so Thanksgiving is on.  We mask if in a crowded indoor store, movie, airport, etc but other than that living life almost as normal 

We are sailing on Reflection on December 4th and are still being told that proof of being fully vaccinated and having a negative test for COVID withing two days of sailing.  I see no indication these requirements will be going away prior to the CDC relaxing their conditional sailing order.   

My personal thoughts are if that is what is required for me to get back to sailing vacations, then I am happy to do it. 

Update: we are sailing on Dec. 3 and just received an email telling us that we need to have a negative PCR or antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing, and essentially imposing the other requirements now in effect on the web site for sailings departing through November 30.  It's great that X is sending emails directly to pax, and they should always do so, but I don't know why they also haven't updated their web site (specifically, the answer to the FAQ "Am I required to take a COVID-19 Test prior to embarking on my cruise?").  I can't imagine there will be different rules in place for other U.S. sailings in December. . . 

On 11/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, jelayne said:

Hummm, our cruise isn't until May but looking ahead....

We are leaving out of Rome and plan to fly out from the West coast Wednesday morning to arrive Thursday morning before our Saturday cruise.  How the heck would we test within the 2 day window??? Not sure how we could teleconference from Rome- would that be covered on my phone plan?  Uggg.

This could get interesting.

Thanks for any input.

Mimbecky