**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #1 **** PLEASE READ!!!!!

Host Carolyn

17 hours ago, desiree741 said:

So after getting the email that we can schedule an appointment at the pier and take one  there I made two appointments. I found out that my drs office does the rapid test and my Insurance  covers it. My girlfriend rather just keep the pier appointments, I on the other hand would like to save $100. I really don’t want to cancel my appointment but I also don’t want to get there and they tell me since I didn’t cancel I have to still pay. But then I saw someone say that they will need to call the drs office to verify? We leave thanksgiving and there will be no want to call them

Hi, if you have been keeping up every day with how these Covid testing procedures change in an instance, It’s best to know way ahead of time then to deal with a false positive at the terminal, then it’s too late.

Fred

31 minutes ago, Gingersnaps35 said:

Do we need to take a test to come back to port if we are going to Mexico ( Ensenada). Because we go through customs 

If you are returning back to the US then no, customs is a joke today in Long Beach. You show your passport and keep walking. They have 3 agents to process 2300 paxs.

Canadians have to do their Covid test before returning into Canada 🍁 

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, poison7fl said:

Has anyone tried the at home test iHealth? Has an app that creates a QR code and time since tested.

https://ihealthlabs.com/pages/ihealth-covid-19-antigen-rapid-test-details

Thanks for posting this one, never heard of it and each kit is 6.99 with a 15 minute test. I don’t know about the one, it’s like one of them to good to be true. If anyone has tried iHealth please post about it.

Thanks

Fred

6 hours ago, poison7fl said:

Has anyone tried the at home test iHealth? Has an app that creates a QR code and time since tested.

https://ihealthlabs.com/pages/ihealth-covid-19-antigen-rapid-test-details

Their website FAQ's states it cannot be accepted as proof of negative test for travel.

From what I can tell, it does not appear that the testing process is monitored by an agent.  The Abbott emed tests used for travel are monitored via internet while the test is being performed.

• Thanks 2

Walgreens in Maple Grove has the Binex ID diagnostic test that they do in the drive through, the only other test is the one that gets sent to lab and takes days to get a result!!  DOES CARNIVAL ACCEPT THE BINEX ID DIAGNOSTIC TEST FOR VACCINATED PASSENGERS?  Simple question, asked by someone on page 1 of this thread and never answered.  I'm sorry, but I've looked at Carnival's covid FAQ's until I'm blind, but I have no idea if the BinexID test fits any of the descriptions of accepted tests.

I've checked with my Doctor's office, same deal, it's sent to a lab, and they won't guarantee WHEN it comes back.  There's no place close to me that does a rapid antigen test - Virginia is LITERALLY the closest Walgreens to have the rapid antigen test.

We fly into Miami on December 10th and sail, hopefully, on the 11th.  I'm assuming an icicle's chance in Hell of obtaining a test once in Miami, unless we book port tests with Carnival.  Change my mind.  We have insurance and we have an HSA that will reimburse us.

I'm getting so frustrated that this is turning into epic stress for me.  This cruise is a rebook from the May 15th Mardi Gras cancellation of 2021.  Now we are on the Horizon, not the Mardi Gras, because rebooking Mardi Gras within the brief timeframe we were given was so much more money than the cruise fare we originally paid.  I'm starting to feel that $600 OBC is vastly insufficient for my inconvenience.

• Like 1

Well like I stated above, the Abbott BinaxNOW Covid Ag Card home test with eMed telehealth service is approved and when you go into the NAVICA app to conduct your test with a person, you get to select which cruiseline you will be on. So there’s no stress there and it’s what I used and currently onboard Panorama right now, when I do my back 2 back I will use a 2nd test kit for that cruise. Link to this test is right here.

https://store.optum.com/shop/category/tests-and-devices/covid-19-home-tests/

Post #5 has a link of Perodeejay’s video on how to do this eMed test.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

The reason why his question wasn’t answered was that there’s no BINEX ID DIAGNOSTIC  test that I could find so there’s a chance he or she may of wrote down the wrong name of the test, there’s only one BinaxNow test that I know of and posted above. If you find the one he/she mentioned then link it here because I couldn’t find it myself.

There is also a BinaxNOW OTC that you can buy at Walgreens for $23.00 and test at home on your own, this is NOT the Proctor eMed test and it will say OTC on the package.

I take this Abbott BinaxNOW OTC test with me on travel and onboard just Incase I start to see any symptoms of Covid, I can pull it out of my luggage and test. This OTC box comes with 2 kits inside it.

Fred

There is a Carbon Health Covid testing site in 
Miami, I’ve used Carbon Health in Seattle back in November for my Hawaii test and this past September for my Panorama cruise, this testing site was at the San Diego Airport. Here’s the Miami info and you can call them.

I use their App to book the appointment and the test results will also be sent to the app.

611AE894-5CC9-4D96-B642-FC417FA87727.jpeg

Edited by Wennfred

I am seeing people say they booked a Covid Test at the terminal.  I can not locate to do that at all.  We sail out the Sat after Thanksgiving from Port Canaveral so wanted to do that to take the stress away.  Anyone have this information?

18 hours ago, alexmom said:

Walgreens in Maple Grove has the Binex ID diagnostic test that they do in the drive through, the only other test is the one that gets sent to lab and takes days to get a result!!  DOES CARNIVAL ACCEPT THE BINEX ID DIAGNOSTIC TEST FOR VACCINATED PASSENGERS?  Simple question, asked by someone on page 1 of this thread and never answered.  I'm sorry, but I've looked at Carnival's covid FAQ's until I'm blind, but I have no idea if the BinexID test fits any of the descriptions of accepted tests.

I've checked with my Doctor's office, same deal, it's sent to a lab, and they won't guarantee WHEN it comes back.  There's no place close to me that does a rapid antigen test - Virginia is LITERALLY the closest Walgreens to have the rapid antigen test.

We fly into Miami on December 10th and sail, hopefully, on the 11th.  I'm assuming an icicle's chance in Hell of obtaining a test once in Miami, unless we book port tests with Carnival.  Change my mind.  We have insurance and we have an HSA that will reimburse us.

I'm getting so frustrated that this is turning into epic stress for me.  This cruise is a rebook from the May 15th Mardi Gras cancellation of 2021.  Now we are on the Horizon, not the Mardi Gras, because rebooking Mardi Gras within the brief timeframe we were given was so much more money than the cruise fare we originally paid.  I'm starting to feel that $600 OBC is vastly insufficient for my inconvenience.

We cancelled our Walgreens test since I am pretty sure it is not pcr or antigen, it is molecular i think?  and are going to pay $60 pp instead for a rapid antigen at the urgent care near us.  I am interested to see what happened to the other person who suggested the test earlier in the thread...

Any Brits cruised yet?  We have Xpresstest by Cignpost booked for next Thursday morning for our flights on Friday.  These are rapid antigen tests so should be OK to board with as well.  To be safe, we have rapid antigen tests booked at LAX ($80 each) on Friday evening for a slot 1.5 hours after our expected arrival time.  We're taking no risks.

3 hours ago, racheyyy1129 said:

We cancelled our Walgreens test since I am pretty sure it is not pcr or antigen, it is molecular i think?  and are going to pay $60 pp instead for a rapid antigen at the urgent care near us.  I am interested to see what happened to the other person who suggested the test earlier in the thread...

A 'molecular' test will be PCR.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, racheyyy1129 said:

The Walgreens PCR tests is 100% acceptable for travel.  They have a fast one that they do in certain stores. That takes from 15 minutes to 24 hours to get back.  We've done them bunches of times and longest was 14 hours (overnight), shortest was 16 minutes.  Didnt even make it home before the negative result came in.  

The other PCR test is sent out and can take 24-72 hours. DO NOT DO that one.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, imapilotaz said:

The Walgreens PCR tests is 100% acceptable for travel.  They have a fast one that they do in certain stores. That takes from 15 minutes to 24 hours to get back.  We've done them bunches of times and longest was 14 hours (overnight), shortest was 16 minutes.  Didnt even make it home before the negative result came in.  

The other PCR test is sent out and can take 24-72 hours. DO NOT DO that one.  

Our Walgreens locally only offer the top 2 (see pic) Is the Rapid Diagnostic (ID NOW) the one you have been using?

Thanks

Walgreens.jpg

We are leaving on the Monday after Thanksgiving. My understanding is that we have to have our test done on Saturday to meet the 48 hour window. What is everyone doing for this one? We are going nuts trying to figure out which test to get and where to get it done. 

On 11/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, Ilovesailaway said:

To be honest if I had to do it over I would have just used Walgreens. Like many I was a little concerned about getting my test results in a timely manner. After reading all the positive comments about testing at home I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 6 pack from emed. $165 with shipping.

Well the other 3 people in my group decided to use Walgreens as their plan A and the home test as a plan B. They all got their results back from the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) in under an hour. That was from 2 different Walgreens in my area. Their appointments were available 5 days in advance and the time slots were wide open.

If you need to test while traveling and the online test is your only option then emed it is. Otherwise look at other options and save your money.

Good luck and safe travels 

Thanks for the info.  This reassures my decision to have testing done a Walgreens (or CVS as a back up).  I wasn't sure the Rapid Diagnostic test (ID NOW) was the right one.  It seems everyone has slightly different terminology.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 5:16 PM, Wennfred said:

The reason why his question wasn’t answered was that there’s no BINEX ID DIAGNOSTIC  test that I could find so there’s a chance he or she may of wrote down the wrong name of the test, there’s only one BinaxNow test that I know of and posted above. If you find the one he/she mentioned then link it here because I couldn’t find it myself.

There is also a BinaxNOW OTC that you can buy at Walgreens for $23.00 and test at home on your own, this is NOT the Proctor eMed test and it will say OTC on the package.

I take this Abbott BinaxNOW OTC test with me on travel and onboard just Incase I start to see any symptoms of Covid, I can pull it out of my luggage and test. This OTC box comes with 2 kits inside it.

Fred

Thank you Fred, for such a thorough reply !  The information  you posted will help a lot of people.  

Frank12 posted a screenshot of the  Walgreen's tests and the middle one, with the red dot, was the one I was talking about and it's called BinexID Now.  I tried ordering from Optumkits but was told that I didn't qualify, no reason was given, but I finally found out why from another cruiser on CC.  I forget what her explanation was, because I've read way too many posts about kits arriving with no fluid in them and have zero interest for dealing with that.  I'm going to go with Walgreen's because I simply don't want to deal with this anymore.  I have a photo on my phone of Carnival's test requirements, the pharmacist should be able to figure it out.  I'm also going to urgent care and see what they have to fulfill the requirements.

CVS wanted $159 per person, so I really want to avoid that one!  I have a tiny SS check that pays for the cruises and other travel I arrange for my family, and by the time I tithe, pay my phone bill, and my Ulta CC bill, I have roughly $280-250 a month.  And even then, many times I donate large portions of that remainder to various cat rescues and animal shelters, Go-fund-me (mostly for other people's medical bills), and sometimes I go nuts and buy myself a cute shirt or sweater at TJ Maxx or Marhall's.  Dropping $477 for covid tests is an onerous burden.  Especially since this is a rebook of my son's may birthday cruise, and there's no roller coaster or Shaq's Chicken on Horizon !  Sorry, I know I'm venting, I'm very grateful that my husband's salary covers our bills and that I can spend my SS the way I want to, this covid crap has me stressed out, put out, and seems to be sucking out all the joy I have in blessing my family.  Thanks for listening.  warm regards, kristine

• Thanks 1

I have used the Nomi test site here in FL 3 times now and it is so easy. They are open 7 days a week 7 am to 4 pm every day at my local St. Augustine location, believe it is similar at all their test sites. Easy in and out, can preregister for super fast service. They have been offering both the PCR and Antigen tests the last two times I went. Antigen test results were back via email 20 minutes after test, PCR results back barely more than 24 hours later. No cancellations to worry about and no charge. 

https://nomihealth.com/fl/

We cruise on Monday, January 10th, which would mean we would test on Saturday.  We'll be flying on Saturday, so can't test at home.  I guess I can see if we can get a test appt in Long Beach on the Saturday afternoon with Walgreens or CVS.  I noticed it said unvaccinated passengers could test 3 days ahead, then I could do it on the Friday before I left.  Does anyone know if Carnival will accept a Covid test for vaccinated passengers from 3 days in advance?

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone traveling with someone unvaccinated (ie kids)....do NOT go to Walgreens for a PCR test.  Told me after the test approx 3-5 days turnaround....uh, nope.  Fortunately, I found an Urgent Care in my area that just started PCR tests with 2 hour results (and they take insurance). Nonetheless, it's been a stressful few days.  Also, no issues with CVS and their antigen tests and turnaround time so that was a positive.