**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #1 **** PLEASE READ!!!!!

Host Carolyn

It was suggested that one thread for Covid testing discussions would make the topic more manageable. Willing to try this but ALL Covid test related topics will be merged into this thread from now on so please post your comments and questions  re Carnival and testing here instead of creating a new thread

Interested to see how this goes.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Successfully completed the eMed at home Covid test this morning and printed out the results. Sailing onboard Carnival Panorama this Saturday. For those traveling this weekend,  Have a safe trip.

I’ve used Carbon Health at the San Diego Airport, $150.00 for the PCR test and you get the results on their App by 5:30am the next morning. So you test Thursday afternoon and Friday morning you get your results.

This time I went with the eMed at home test kit using my Laptop with a built in webcam. You can use your cellphone or tablet, IPad etc with a working webcam. I paid $107.00 total for 3 test kits. It’s $70.00 for 2 kits on the Optum store. 

This test takes about 30 minutes to complete and you’re done.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Like 5

Here’s a great video posted by ParoDeeJay on how to use this eMed Covid test kit.

Note that some cruiselines are selling these test kits on their website and could be out of stock. There is a 90 Day extension on the expiration date so if you receive one that says expired on Sept 19th, it’s been extended to Dec 19th.

https://youtu.be/felpqrm6lzI

As of today November 11th 2021, Carnival Cruiseline requires a Negative Covid test 2 days prior to boarding. It’s not set to a Time, just 2 days. Bring your Covid card as well, they will want to see that.

In Long Beach, you enter the dome building and you get in line, the first check point is to verify your Covid card and your negative print out of your test. You don’t have these, at this point you don’t continue.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, rlopes said:

Does the negative result have to be a printout or can I have it on my phone?

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing includes laboratory test record, digital certificate and healthcare record.

The results must show first and last name, date of birth, type of test (NAAT or antigen), date and time the sample was taken, test result as either “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED,” laboratory/testing site or healthcare provider details.

If there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the testing facility or healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied.

Highly recommend you have a print out, your phone or iPad/tablet with this information could be lost or a dead battery.  I keep my copy with my boarding documents.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, rlopes said:

Did my test this morning on emed. Very straight forward. I have the results in my navica app but as was suggested I also printed out the lab report results that were emailed to me.

Same with all other apps for tickets, proof of vaccine.... I always carry a printed copy as well.

Just picture Dr. Rick shaking his head at me in a Progressive commercial. 😆

• Haha 3

Anyone have word on what will happen once the Binex / Emed text kit extension expires.  Meaning, will there be some other type of home test kit made available or will a trip to Walgreens/CSV/Quickcare be needed. Next cruise in March 2022. I sure hope another round of home test will be available.  We did that in October and it was super easy.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bigguy24 said:

The are Emergency Use Authorization. They are flawed

Just because they are EAU - does not equate to 'They are Flawed"

On 11/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, Wennfred said:

Note that some cruiselines are selling these test kits on their website and could be out of stock.

Just looked at the site and both eMed and Optum now have product for sale with expiration dates no esrlier than Feb 1, 2022. 

From the eMed site: The test kits you are about to purchase from eMed have been approved for use by the FDA at least through February 1, 2022, after which they will expire. It’s possible the test kits you order from eMed may have an expiration date later in February 2022, but we cannot guarantee that. eMed looks forward to offering COVID-19 test kits with longer expiration dates in the near future.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

• Like 1

To be honest if I had to do it over I would have just used Walgreens. Like many I was a little concerned about getting my test results in a timely manner. After reading all the positive comments about testing at home I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 6 pack from emed. $165 with shipping.

Well the other 3 people in my group decided to use Walgreens as their plan A and the home test as a plan B. They all got their results back from the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) in under an hour. That was from 2 different Walgreens in my area. Their appointments were available 5 days in advance and the time slots were wide open.

If you need to test while traveling and the online test is your only option then emed it is. Otherwise look at other options and save your money.

Good luck and safe travels 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

To be honest if I had to do it over I would have just used Walgreens. Like many I was a little concerned about getting my test results in a timely manner. After reading all the positive comments about testing at home I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 6 pack from emed. $165 with shipping.

Well the other 3 people in my group decided to use Walgreens as their plan A and the home test as a plan B. They all got their results back from the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) in under an hour. That was from 2 different Walgreens in my area. Their appointments were available 5 days in advance and the time slots were wide open.

If you need to test while traveling and the online test is your only option then emed it is. Otherwise look at other options and save your money.

Good luck and safe travels 

How much is the Walgreens test? At Carbon Health it’s 150.00 for the over night PCR test. Their rapid test which is the NAAT test was $165.00 so I went with the PCR test.

So 165.00 for 6 test is a way better deal which comes out to $27.50 per test especially if you have a family or will be cruising more often.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) is free at Walgreens. Just check their website. Navigate the site to schedule a test near you to check availability. It will say results for that test within 24 hours but as I said the results for our group were under an hour. Most people online are reporting a similar experience. I have not heard of anyone having an issue with Walgreens. 

CVS also offers a free test if you want to schedule a backup to your Walgreens appointment. Schedule Walgreens in the morning and CVS in the late afternoon. Most likely you will get your Walgreens results quickly and end up canceling your CVS appointment.

I did not research CVS as much but I did hear of a couple people reporting a late cancelation from CVS. That is why I would make Walgreens plan A. If all else fails get a last minute rapid PCR and pay for it but that is nearly an impossibility.

Spend your test money on fun stuff. 🤙

• Like 2

Last year I waited 11 days for CVS to get my results, also a few people said that CVS changed their testing time to East Coast time and they did’t make the 72 hour time frame flying into Hawaii, but that was the beginning of testing and it was all new. so for that reason I don’t trust them, also there has been issues with the Walgreens here as well, we don’t have a rapid testing Walgreens center nearby but will check again when I get back  But free is always good for sure. Free or not, I rather just test at home and not have to travel somewhere. If I mess up the test, then it’s on me but I will have results in 30 minutes with the eMed route.

Currently at the cruise terminal in Long Beach, about to board at noon.checking in went very fast.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, rlopes said:

I would recommend you bring a printout.  I just got back from a cruise.  Had problems with the abbot embed tests. 3 in our group one neg , my kit didn’t have any liquid in bottle used what was left in someone else’s kit. Third person test inconclusive.  Mine was negative but counted on using app  couldn’t pull up app at terminal —luckily I’m a nervous Nellie and had tested at cvs test (free) was able to pull up those results.

2 hours ago, Izena said:

I would recommend you bring a printout.  I just got back from a cruise.  Had problems with the abbot embed tests. 3 in our group one neg , my kit didn’t have any liquid in bottle used what was left in someone else’s kit. Third person test inconclusive.  Mine was negative but counted on using app  couldn’t pull up app at terminal —luckily I’m a nervous Nellie and had tested at cvs test (free) was able to pull up those results.

This is good information on the eMed kit and you’re not allowed to open it to look inside until test time. Good to have a location as a back up for that afternoon. I will make an appointment with Carbon Health like I had this past Thursday. Once the eMed test was good I just canceled my Carbon Health test.

Fred

Just booked Covid testings at CVS (west coast of Florida) for November 28 cruise on Pride out of Tampa. We did same in October (did our first river cruise) and it worked perfectly. Hoping for another seamless experience. But after reading most recently about people having their appointments cancelled, I booked ours for Friday morning and two more for Saturday morning. Such drama!

We have booked the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW through Walgreens tor Thursday afternoon. Scheduled to sail Saturday. 
has anyone else done this same test?
  Just want to make sure it’s ok since it’s not word for word matching carnivals website 

Another empty vial with the test liquid.  My cruise buddy  had Covid soon after Halloween, and he took the emed at home test to see if he would test negative for the cruise.  The first package he opened, the vial was empty.  (The second package had liquid, and he tested negative.)

Edited by naxer

2 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

It appears that one should purchase two kits per person to be on the safe side. Is this what others have done? 

I got three.  From the comments here and from what I've seen around, people have at least two per person.

Edited by naxer

So after getting the email that we can schedule an appointment at the pier and take one  there I made two appointments. I found out that my drs office does the rapid test and my Insurance  covers it. My girlfriend rather just keep the pier appointments, I on the other hand would like to save $100. I really don’t want to cancel my appointment but I also don’t want to get there and they tell me since I didn’t cancel I have to still pay. But then I saw someone say that they will need to call the drs office to verify? We leave thanksgiving and there will be no want to call them