Warning for Canadian cruisers re covid tests

archer_310

Boarded Apex yesterday with antigen test from SDM.  The tech at SDM had the form on her computer all typed in with our info.  She asked us to review it make sure it was accurate.  After the negative result she completed the form signed it and put the SDM store stamp on it.

We used our drivers licenses as ID for the form.  DW ‘s license only has her middle initial where her passport has her full middle name.  There was no issue using at the pier and we did not have the SDM receipts of payment for the test. 

• Like 2

This experience does not concern cruising but we did have a VERY bad experience with SDM for our trip to Vegas back in Sept.  We went in our Saturday for our antigen tests and we were both very nervous in general.  This was my first Covid test ever, I had never had one before.  My wife did have one back in April when our entire household contracted Covid.  We got tested, the results were negative (we both had ourselves convinced we were positive, but that was all in our head).  We looked over the test results, verified most of the details and off we went.  Well we got home and I looked over them again.  My birthday was wrong on the form.  So off we went back to the SDM to get it fixed.  When I got back the original test taker was not there and they hand corrected the birthdate on the form.  I didn't like that but was given no other option.  

I came home and stewed on it and my wife called SDM back and talked to someone.  They said the original test taker was in on Sunday.  So I went back again.  They reprinted my form and I thought all was good.

Not so much.  We had a LOT going on that Sunday so the results form sat until 6 or 7 that night.  I once again went over the forms in fine detail again.  Uh-oh.  We had our original test booked for 12:30pm.  When I compared my wife's form to mine the time on hers said 12:30am!  Ugh.  I then grabbed my original results form and sure enough it also said 12:30am.  We were so focused on the wrong birthdate on my test we never noticed it.  In fact the font and alignment of the filled out form was totally different.  It was almost as if they used an entirely different document.  By that time we were so frustrated that we considered just walking away from the trip entirely.  My wife once again called and the pharmacist she spoke to said we couldn't get replacement forms or tests at that point but offered to make it right first thing on Monday morning.  My wife decided to just get retested (a risk, but minimal), all went well and this pharmacist was so detail oriented that the form was spot on.

Now I will end this by saying most of this drama is on us.  It was OUR responsibility to go over the results.  100% on us.  However, the fact that the DOB on my form was wrong even though they had my passport to fill it out was bad enough.  Then add to the fact that when I came in the next day to get mine redone the time was wrong which was corrected (the person filling out the form noticed it, and never mentioned it) AND I mentioned twice my wife and I both got tested just annoyed us to no end.  

Needless to say for our next trip into the US we will not use SDM.  Further to that my advice is to be extra cautious and go over every single line on the form.  If you don't like the look of something as to have it changed.  The pharmacist that took care of my wife on Monday morning told us she personally took a call the previous Thursday from a couple at the airport that got refused due to errors on the results form.

Take care all.

5 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Does SDM provide a paper copy or an e-mail copy (pdf) or both?

In our experience and based on what we have heard from others they give you a paper copy only with no option for email.  Some SDM might offer an email option but none that I have personally heard of.

2 minutes ago, edrussell said:

In our experience and based on what we have heard from others they give you a paper copy only with no option for email.  Some SDM might offer an email option but none that I have personally heard of.

I would recommend going to Rexall and forget about SDM!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I would recommend going to Rexall and forget about SDM!

Thanks -- looks like they are $10 less ($30) and offer online booking. I'll check it out for our Dec trip.  Does RCCL require anything special for the form other than being computerized and not handwritten?

Edited by xcell

17 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Others on here have reported that you can book up until March with Rexall.

I booked December 24th no issues at all.

Thanks -- it must have been the first store I selected didn't have the option. Selected another and volia -- booked for the test for me and the family. Thanks!

Very interesting!

Going to check our local pharmacy Jean Coute for a antigen rapid test with proof typed for my carnival cruise in January. My concern is getting off carnival and going on NCL the same day without testing before hand. 

Thanks for the info on Rexall - there is one very close to our home and I was able to make an appointment for January - we are flying out that afternoon for a 2 day stay pre-cruise so will be there first thing in the morning to get our tests done! 🙂

5 hours ago, katiecat said:

Very interesting!

My concern is getting off carnival and going on NCL the same day without testing before hand. 

Do you have a plan for that B2B testing?  Have you checked Carnival’s policy for post-cruise testing when embarking a different cruise line the same day?    I will be so happy when all this testing is not required anymore.

10 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Do you have a plan for that B2B testing?  Have you checked Carnival’s policy for post-cruise testing when embarking a different cruise line the same day?    I will be so happy when all this testing is not required anymore.

No can't seem to find it listed anywhere but I did find a carnival guest care email. I have read NCL wants you to test before you board to save money before getting there and end up being positive but I'm already there and they are testing everyone free anyways. 

59 minutes ago, katiecat said:

No can't seem to find it listed anywhere but I did find a carnival guest care email. I have read NCL wants you to test before you board to save money before getting there and end up being positive but I'm already there and they are testing everyone free anyways. 

Just keep checking, policies change so quickly and hopefully you are grandfathered for today’s policies.  

10 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

As far as I can see the only Rexall in Kingston that does the antigen tests is the one on Montreal…is that where you booked? They’re charging $30

In fact, although the website indicates the Rexall on Montreal Street does the Antigen Tests; when I went to this store to 'confirm' and to book a test, the Pharmacist stated that they did NOT do the Antigen Tests at their store!  I didn't bother to ask why the website for his store indicated otherwise!

I've since discovered that the 'Guardian Medix Pharmacy', located at 2392 Princess Street, on the north side, just west of 'Bennett's Furniture', offers Antigen Testing!

I went to the store, spoke directly with the Pharmacist, confirmed that she does the Antigen Tests and I made an appointment immediately! 🤩

Were you aware that the WalMart Superstore on Midland Avenue has signage posted at their Pharmacy advertising Antigen Testing for $19.97?

As well, both SDM locations at Bayridge and Kingslake Plaza also can be booked for Antigen Testing? 😊

I was considering Walmart before our cruise, but had a hard time locating a spot that actually did the tests, even though their website had a list saying that they did.  Called one and asked about the tests and yes, they did them.  Called back closer to our sail date and the person I got said no, we don't do them - maybe in a few weeks.  Needless to say there was no way I was going to trust Walmart as the left hand didn't seem to know what the right hand was doing.  Maybe things are better now, but I don't know if I'd trust them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, darkblueerin said:

Has anyone done the Switch Health at home PCR test? I'm thinking it's my best option for my MSC cruise in a few weeks, but I haven't heard anyone's personal experience with the timeline of it. 

Just to let you know this test is on backorder now/wait list so not sure you might even get it in time!

Hello. Apologies if this question has already been asked/answered elsewhere.

Celebrity Cruises indicate on their website that an Antigen test is required for fully vaccinated guests at the time of boarding, and must be conducted within 2 days of boarding. So for our Friday Dec 11th sailing on Celebrity Silhouette, I am planning on taking the test on Wednesday Dec 9th. I am trying to book an appointment for testing on that day. Does it matter what time I take the test, or can it be anytime on Wednesday?

Thank you

1 minute ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Hello. Apologies if this question has already been asked/answered elsewhere.

Celebrity Cruises indicate on their website that an Antigen test is required for fully vaccinated guests at the time of boarding, and must be conducted within 2 days of boarding. So for our Friday Dec 11th sailing on Celebrity Silhouette, I am planning on taking the test on Wednesday Dec 9th. I am trying to book an appointment for testing on that day. Does it matter what time I take the test, or can it be anytime on Wednesday?

Thank you

You can take the test at any time on Wednesday. They switched to calendar days instead of hours before embarkation due to the confusion over what was considered to be the time of embarkation. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Just to let you know this test is on backorder now/wait list so not sure you might even get it in time!

As of checking right now - all three are in stock.

I need the legit PCR test to board my cruise - the LAMP test I don't think is accepted?

6 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

In fact, although the website indicates the Rexall on Montreal Street does the Antigen Tests; when I went to this store to 'confirm' and to book a test, the Pharmacist stated that they did NOT do the Antigen Tests at their store!  I didn't bother to ask why the website for his store indicated otherwise!

I've since discovered that the 'Guardian Medix Pharmacy', located at 2392 Princess Street, on the north side, just west of 'Bennett's Furniture', offers Antigen Testing!

I went to the store, spoke directly with the Pharmacist, confirmed that she does the Antigen Tests and I made an appointment immediately! 🤩

Were you aware that the WalMart Superstore on Midland Avenue has signage posted at their Pharmacy advertising Antigen Testing for $19.97?

As well, both SDM locations at Bayridge and Kingslake Plaza also can be booked for Antigen Testing? 😊

Great information, thank you! We are in the Bayridge area so all those locations are very convenient. Next time I’m on Princess I’ll pop into that Guardian…how much are they charging?