Booking a B2B, questions and advice

ChiefMateJRK

I've booked my first NCL back-to-back in 2024 (Boston-Quebec-Boston).  For purposes of this thread, let's assume Covid is all in the rearview mirror at that point.  I've booked the same stateroom on both legs.  Am I able to just leave my luggage in the room?  Do I need to coordinate with the room attendant?  Do I need to get off the ship or can I just loiter in the public areas?  Any other pointers or advice?  Thanks.

What happens on a B2B depends more on the port than anything else. For example, your question as to whether you can stay onboard is depends on the port.

In the US they want to clear the ship, so everyone has to leave. In Europe that isn’t a requirement so you don’t have to. I don’t know what is the case in Canada.

You should be able to leave your stuff in your room.

During the first leg they will contact you with the details. If there are a few people on B2B (which I assume there will be) then there will probably be a meeting somewhere to go through things.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

What happens on a B2B depends more on the port than anything else. For example, your question as to whether you can stay onboard is depends on the port.

In the US they want to clear the ship, so everyone has to leave. In Europe that isn’t a requirement so you don’t have to. I don’t know what is the case in Canada.

You should be able to leave your stuff in your room.

During the first leg they will contact you with the details. If there are a few people on B2B (which I assume there will be) then there will probably be a meeting somewhere to go through things.

Thanks Keith.  Helpful as always.  I realize that, at a minimum, we would need to be issued new key cards for the second leg of the cruise. 

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks Keith.  Helpful as always.  I realize that, at a minimum, we would need to be issued new key cards for the second leg of the cruise. 

Probably, but not necessarily. We have had new cards but also once we’re issued with cards at the start which lasted the whole time. 

I think it is most usual to get new cards for each leg.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@ChiefMateJRK,  I am so happy for you.  I always wanted to do a Back to Back.  Enjoy and congrats.

Thanks Gary.  This Boston-Quebec-Boston B2B is not really a typical B2B, but more like just a 14 day round trip cruise.  We're doing the Boston-Boston 7 day next fall, which will be our first New England cruise.  I'm looking forward to both (which is stating the obvious, because who the heck doesn't look forward to a cruise? 🤣 )

• Haha 1

@ChiefMateJRK

We did Quebec-Boston-Quebec a few years ago. as you say not really a B2B but a 14 day cruise.

As you are in the same cabin it is likely that you won't need to get a new key card; just check the debark date on the first one and that will tell you.

As you are spending the day (or is it an overnight?) in Quebec I would certainly want to get off the ship to do a look round.   We were there for an overnight and did an excellent ship shorex.  The other thing is to go up to the Heights/Plains of Abraham, wonderful history there.   Go into the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac for a meal or just a coffee and pastry!!!

When we were there we were very lucky as La Citadelle de Québec was open for free visiting (the annual open day) so we got to see inside the GG's official residence.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, casofilia said:

As you are spending the day (or is it an overnight?) in Quebec I would certainly want to get off the ship to do a look round.   

No, it's just a sail in Friday morning and leave Friday afternoon.  My inclination would be to just stay on the ship, if possible, to avoid the hustle and bustle of folks disembarking and embarking.

@ChiefMateJRK

Remember you will have an "IN TRANSIT" sticker and that will make re-boarding so much easier.   You will be able to bypass everything other than the usual customs/bag-check to get back on.

I can't help with the actual situation with "staying on board" in a Canadian port but all ports are different in the way you are treated.   Certainly in the USA the ship has to be cleared of pax but what happens can be so different.   We have been off and on again in 10 minute but at other times it has been 2 hours.   No logic at all.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Remember you will have an "IN TRANSIT" sticker and that will make re-boarding so much easier.   You will be able to bypass everything other than the usual customs/bag-check to get back on.

This is the type of information that I was not aware of.  Thanks.  I would probably prefer to just stay on the ship.

They will usually post something in the Freestyle Daily a few days into the cruise, asking you to bring your boarding documents and register with Guest Services.

Whether or not you have to leave the ship depends - sometimes people have to physically leave, sometimes you meet/stay in a designated area on the ship until it is cleared for boarding.  You also might have to do something with respect to clearing customs/immigration (passport check) since you are entering Canada.

As long as you keep your stateroom, you can leave your stuff.  Otherwise, you pack your suitcases and your steward will take them, plus anything hanging in the closet, to your new cabin.

I encourage you to visit guest services on the 2nd or 3rd day to make sure they have you on the list B2B passengers.   This will ensure you get a notification letter with instructions on the process for that particular ship.  It usually shows up in your cabin about 2 days prior to the end of the first cruise. 

And do discuss it with your cabin steward.  He may have something he needs you to do.  In pre-Covid days, you didn’t need to do anything to your cabin or belongings.  But, they may be required to do something now for sanitation purposes.  

41 minutes ago, M4RK said:

Has anyone sailed NCL on a B2B since the restart? Was there another covid test administered prior to the second week?

Very good question. We are on the Joy 11/20 and stay on for 11/27. We will let you know. 

We  had to schedule C19 port tests for both cruises. 

Our last cruise(s) was a Breakaway B2B out of Port Canaveral.  It was Nov/Dec of 2019, so before the Covid mess.  We let our cabin steward know that we were staying in the same stateroom for both cruises.  We did not have to pack up anything.  NCL provided us with plenty of documentation regarding meetings, card keys (we had to go to the main desk before the end of the first cruise to get new card keys), and customs.  To our surprise, we did not have to disembark.  All passport checks and facial recognition were done by agents who came on the ship.  The bad news is, it took forever to get this completed.....we are from FL, so we were not interested in any NCL excursions...but in hindsight, I wish that we had Ubered to one of the local restaurants and just "embarked" with the new passengers....our In Transit stickers would have made that very easy.  

We have done many B2B before C19. Even before, each time was different depending on the port and ship.

Until someone actually experiences what is happening today during C19, no one really knows how B2B will proceed. The ship will provide a letter to give you info days before debarkation. 

21 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've booked my first NCL back-to-back in 2024 (Boston-Quebec-Boston).  For purposes of this thread, let's assume Covid is all in the rearview mirror at that point.  I've booked the same stateroom on both legs.  Am I able to just leave my luggage in the room?  Do I need to coordinate with the room attendant?  Do I need to get off the ship or can I just loiter in the public areas?  Any other pointers or advice?  Thanks.

You will get a new key card and in ( In Transit ) sticker , to bypass the long line of new passengers.