Europe 2022 - how do we get to the ship? when do they book Flights?

bethtex

we sailed Silversea only once before - to Antarctica, so not like their regular cruises

we haven't booked a cruise before where the cruise line included the airfare, so unsure how it all works

we have a European sailing in Summer 2022 where airfare is included.  But booked before the new program where transfers specifically included.

So are we responsible for getting from flight to cruise ship and to airport after the cruise?  

With an August 2022 cruise, when would Silversea contact us about booking the flights?  Or do we contact them?  I don't see anything online about it.

if we come in the day before departure, do they offer hotels (presume at additional cost)?  or do we need to find our own accomodations?

thanks for any help

Do contact either Silversea or your TA whoever booked it. I booked onboard in September for next June, sailing from Scotland and flying back from Iceland. I have all the details of transfers, flights etc and am booked into hotels before and after the cruise; details to be released nearer the time, but I have my flight and transfer schedule.

4 hours ago, bethtex said:

we sailed Silversea only once before - to Antarctica, so not like their regular cruises

we haven't booked a cruise before where the cruise line included the airfare, so unsure how it all works

we have a European sailing in Summer 2022 where airfare is included.  But booked before the new program where transfers specifically included.

So are we responsible for getting from flight to cruise ship and to airport after the cruise?  

With an August 2022 cruise, when would Silversea contact us about booking the flights?  Or do we contact them?  I don't see anything online about it.

if we come in the day before departure, do they offer hotels (presume at additional cost)?  or do we need to find our own accomodations?

thanks for any help

When you book with air included, it should come with transfers from airport to ship or to hotel then to ship. This would apply where you are using their allotted flights and hotels. That said, offers are probably different for the US than the UK. The "new" transfers I think you must be referring to are from home to airport? 

If you are choosing to use your own hotel and arrival / departure dates, then that will be a deviation to the program and the hotel will be at your cost as well as the transfers. There may be different pre and post cruise available to you already, so SS or your TA will be the only ones who can tell you that. There can be a choice of hotels, but if you don't pick theirs then you miss out and pay a deviation supplement (which seems odd as you are losing transfers - but if you are also catching a different flight, its all extra work I guess.)

Flights, will generally be what you are given, which often might not be the best available, but you certainly can request routes and airlines you might want (if they use them) and if they can, will accommodate. Generally speaking, they will be looking at the cheapest option for them.

8 hours ago, bethtex said:

SS usually book flights 300 days before cruise departure. What I usually do is that I make my own search for flights and send a detailed proposal with dates and flight numbers to SS. Usually they book exactly what I want and in most cases they even cancel deviation fees if flying 1 or 2 days before cruise departure which I usually request.

Good morning, as others have suggested, depending on who you booked through, that is who I would speak to about all these logistical questions.  

I can say, yes, SS does offer transfers and hotels.  Whoever you booked through should have all this pertinent information.  IF you book the hotel SS offers, you can also be part of the transfer process. They have drivers who pick folks up at the airport and take them to the hotel....they also have transfers from the hotel to the ship and the ship back to the airport at the end of the cruise.

Again, speak with your contact (TA or SS).

13 hours ago, bethtex said:

thanks for any help

I agree with the others who stated you should check with the TA or SS whichever you booked with; however, I also recommend you log into your MySilversea account on the SS website to see your booking.  SS included one night at a pre and post-cruise hotel for all my cruises -- the name of the hotel is not listed but it is showing that I will get that. I can also see what transfers I am scheduled for.    (And even the Door-To-Door service which SS kindly added for the one trip I had booked before that program was introduced.)

5 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

SS usually book flights 300 days before cruise departure. What I usually do is that I make my own search for flights and send a detailed proposal with dates and flight numbers to SS. Usually they book exactly what I want and in most cases they even cancel deviation fees if flying 1 or 2 days before cruise departure which I usually request.

Thanks, that is helpful to know. My booking for next June is the first time that I've used Silversea air and I noticed that they have already put a flight itinerary in my booking - but I have concerns about the layovers. I'll find some time before final payment is due to look at alternative flights. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

2 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Thanks, that is helpful to know. My booking for next June is the first time that I've used Silversea air and I noticed that they have already put a flight itinerary in my booking - but the schedule is terrible, with extremely long layovers.  I'll find some time before final payment is due to look at alternative flights. 

They are good about helping with different flights. (Well, my rep is always helpful anyway😀).  I had to change flights for a cruise I have booked in April and it was easy peasy!

• Thanks 1

@Dolcevita Diva I'd suggest you pursue your flight schedule now, and not wait until final payment is due. By that time, the cruise line may have access to only a small number of remaining seats on the airlines they have contracts with, and you may be stuck with what they already have booked for you. But doing it now, 7-8 month in advance, they have much more flexibility to change your flight booking. Do your research now on flights you would like, and then reach out to your travel agent or SS rep to see if they can give you any of the flight options you want. 

1 minute ago, cruiseej said:

@Dolcevita Diva I'd suggest you pursue your flight schedule now, and not wait until final payment is due. By that time, the cruise line may have access to only a small number of remaining seats on the airlines they have contracts with, and you may be stuck with what they already have booked for you. But doing it now, 7-8 month in advance, they have much more flexibility to change your flight booking. Do your research now on flights you would like, and then reach out to your travel agent or SS rep to see if they can give you any of the flight options you want. 

Final payment is due in 2 weeks to receive the advance booking credit, so yes, I will be looking into this very soon!

On 11/16/2021 at 4:42 AM, les37b said:

When you book with air included, it should come with transfers from airport to ship or to hotel then to ship. This would apply where you are using their allotted flights and hotels. That said, offers are probably different for the US than the UK. The "new" transfers I think you must be referring to are from home to airport? 

If you are choosing to use your own hotel and arrival / departure dates, then that will be a deviation to the program and the hotel will be at your cost as well as the transfers. There may be different pre and post cruise available to you already, so SS or your TA will be the only ones who can tell you that. There can be a choice of hotels, but if you don't pick theirs then you miss out and pay a deviation supplement (which seems odd as you are losing transfers - but if you are also catching a different flight, its all extra work I guess.)

Flights, will generally be what you are given, which often might not be the best available, but you certainly can request routes and airlines you might want (if they use them) and if they can, will accommodate. Generally speaking, they will be looking at the cheapest option for them.

I almost always use SS's pre cruise hotel and transfers.  It makes things so much simpler.  There is someone waiting for you at the hotel, someone to get your luggage to the ship and vice a versa.  This costs nothing and is included in the cruise price.  The hotels are generally very good,  the Conrad in Dublin was excellent that only real clunker I has was the Costa in Madrid.  I usually scout out what hotel SS is using and go over a couple of days early which has been no problem other than paying for the extra days,  Doing it this way avoids a lot of hassle.  

I also request specific flights from their travel department.  You don't really save any money, but they always, book me on the flights I want (8 flights in a row).  The seat assignments may be horrible but you can go to the airline's site and change them.  I never, never again, will fly. eomonmy.  Sometimes SS has discounts. Take it. Changing seats is usually not a problem. (If you are going to the Galapagos and they have you booked on LANTAM see if you can get off of it.  Worse airline in the Eastern hemisphere) This all sounds good but starting on Monday I have to juggle the air on the Reykjavik  to Dublin August 15 cruise which is going to be a mess, because I arranged my own air, not that any cares about this but at the time Bradley Field in Hartford had just one, international flight round trip Hartford to Dublin on Aer Lingus wasn't in SS's air program so now I have to go back and do it all myself. Aer Lingus is not going to make a decision to service Hartford again until August).    Damn.  

One more thing and I may be wrong here, someone above said the SS's air department starts booking 300 days out and I though it was 270.  Cheers

6 hours ago, chrism23 said:

This costs nothing and is included in the cruise price.  

If you truly believe this, you are kidding yourself.  With that said, I understand the peace of mind it brings to many who use the service.  But, I guarantee you, it costs you more than making your own arrangements.  In every single instance I’ve ever investigated, the costs is at least double.

I'd say that transfers are more or less "free" if you use their air; it's the pre- or post-cruise hotel which is almost always offered at a very inflated price. So if you're flying in and going straight to the ship -- not what most people chose to do -- and book air through the cruise line, by all means take advantage of the included transfer (even though you are paying for it in the price). If you're flying in one or more days early, then it pays to do your own research to compare the price through the cruise line versus booking on your own.