Peru closed for cruise ships!

SSCAF001

We’re currently departing out of Guayaquil on the 18th Dec, certainly challenging rearranging flights as we decided to stick with our Machu Picchu trip, we managed to get a direct flight to Guayaquil from Lima as the major worry is losing your baggage and not allowing enough time to recover the situation. Glad to see the email from SS offering to cover the costs (up to $500 per/pax) incurred for airfares if you booked independently though.

We all understand that its a logistical nightmare dealing with the constant changes to each and every country, a bit surprised to see that they stated that Peru was closed to international travellers and this was the reason for the re-routing, I believe it’s closed to cruise ships but not to international travellers from what I have seen on Peruvian government websites, otherwise we've got another challenge to re-route our pre-arranged flight and tours in Peru!

II don’t understand why they cancelled Manta in Ecuador as we didn’t receive an explanation, as we are obviously embarking from Ecuador.

I suppose if you can’t handle the pressure and probable changes then don’t book a cruise in these uncertain times, for us it’s still worth the challenge as the feeling, experience and treatment when you finally get on board makes it all worthwhile.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The prospect of ours doing a similar itinerary as todays departure on the Moon, brings in so many extra complications for the next voyage, I have real concerns and doubts it will go ahead. (It was fun while it lasted in the past month to think it would!) 

Obviously, disembarking will be the same as the 2 Dec sailing (going on the assumption Peru is still closed to cruises, which given the latest crack down, I cant see will change.). However, on the 19th Dec, on departure from Ecuador, and no stop in Peru, after a couple at least sea days, the arrival in Chile and their PCR requirements, make it an almost logistical certainty to be doable, unless things change between now and then.

Rather than countries opening up, I can see things locking down again. Certainly with the WHO stating it doesn't recommend ANY international travel for over 60s, I cant imagine the UK (at least) adopt that as a full on advisory, meaning UK over 60s will be banned from travel. Not happened yet thankfully, but as soon as I heard, I thought it was more likely to follow than not.

Does anyone believe that boarding in Guayaquil/Ecuador will actually happen?  I read today that Ecuador had closed its land border with Peru to try to control the new virus variation.  And the new 'rules' our government has just announced for anyone returning to the US from an international location make the whole idea of leaving just now more nerve-racking.  I wish SS would just alter the itinerary today...  perhaps disembark and embark in Panama City (safer and easier to get to).   Or just stay in the Caribbean.  I doubt anyone would have an issue with that.  Several I have spoken with have shared that they are very afraid of flying to Guayaquil, and getting stuck there if the air access is then cut off, and they can't get back.

21 minutes ago, Island Venturer said:

Does anyone believe that boarding in Guayaquil/Ecuador will actually happen?  I read today that Ecuador had closed its land border with Peru to try to control the new virus variation.  And the new 'rules' our government has just announced for anyone returning to the US from an international location make the whole idea of leaving just now more nerve-racking.  I wish SS would just alter the itinerary today...  perhaps disembark and embark in Panama City (safer and easier to get to).   Or just stay in the Caribbean.  I doubt anyone would have an issue with that.  Several I have spoken with have shared that they are very afraid of flying to Guayaquil, and getting stuck there if the air access is then cut off, and they can't get back.

Very nervous - to the point I expect the out and back departing today will go ahead and fingers crossed there is no lockdown in Ecuador in 2 weeks or so. I just cant see the whole South American Circumnavigation going ahead - and that includes the first leg I'm sailing on.

Certainly the stories that ALL cruise passengers need to test negative to disembark or face quarantine, definitely increases the likelihood  of delays, missed flights and untold stress, which is not what this is all about.

I hadn't heard that Ecuador has shut its land borders with Peru, but that makes it even more likely (IMHO) that things wont be going to go as originally planned or the Guayaquil alternative.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Very nervous - to the point I expect the out and back departing today will go ahead and fingers crossed there is no lockdown in Ecuador in 2 weeks or so. I just cant see the whole South American Circumnavigation going ahead - and that includes the first leg I'm sailing on.

Certainly the stories that ALL cruise passengers need to test negative to disembark or face quarantine, definitely increases the likelihood  of delays, missed flights and untold stress, which is not what this is all about.

I hadn't heard that Ecuador has shut its land borders with Peru, but that makes it even more likely (IMHO) that things wont be going to go as originally planned or the Guayaquil alternative.

The Moon is definitely sailing later today with some in transits onboard. We all got tested yesterday morning to be allowed into the States. No issues. The same testers from the U.K. are on for at least the next 3 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

The Moon is definitely sailing later today with some in transits onboard. We all got tested yesterday morning to be allowed into the States. No issues. The same testers from the U.K. are on for at least the next 3 months.

Your timing was super for your arrival. Had you arrived in the US tomorrow, you need a PCR taken within 24 hours of arrival.

Prices at the airport for within 4 hours are £259 each.

This is a racket. If these types of restrictions can be put in place at such short notice, these non refundable ripoff prices need regulating and stopped.

Even if we wanted to. Our flight is 09.40 on 2 Jan. These fit to fly at the airport are closed on the Bank Holiday 1 Jan.

Edited by les37b

7 hours ago, Island Venturer said:

Tell me more about Guayaquil, as I have not been there and cannot find info about special concerns. Why do people worry more about getting stuck in Guayaquil than getting stuck in Lima?

Asking for a friend 😲

19 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Tell me more about Guayaquil, as I have not been there and cannot find info about special concerns. Why do people worry more about getting stuck in Guayaquil than getting stuck in Lima?

Asking for a friend 😲

I'd guess because there are more flights from the Peruvian Capital available than a City with 25% population in comparison. Certainly when I heard this may happen, my first action was to look up flights to see what was available and there was certainly a lot less to chose from. (I think I only had one 2 stop option)

Don't think its deemed a horrible place, just the flight situation. I can remember being "stranded" in Singapore for a week in 2010. That was a "good" place to be stranded! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

We are also now scheduled to board Silver Moon in Guayaquil but are very scared to fly there.  The more we read about crime there and more and more covid restrictions, the more we think it is most likely too risky to fly there.   On The Guayaquil cruiseport website, Silver Moon is listed as the only ship ship arriving there during the whole month of January.  It is odd.

By any chance, is anyone on the nonstop Jetblue flight from JFK to Guayaquil on Nov. 18?

7 hours ago, les37b said:

If these types of restrictions can be put in place at such short notice, these non refundable ripoff prices need regulating and stopped.

And who do you think should be paying for these expensive tests for leisure travelers? Taxpayers?

And would it be better if governments took a wait-and-see approach to a new variant while scientists determine if it is more transmissible or more virulent? Or if they quickly tightened travel testing rules until it's determined if such travel precautions are needed? 

Of course, no one wants extra tests, tighter deadlines, or higher travel costs. But aren't we better at least trying to limit and slow the spread of a potentially problematic new chapter of this pandemic?

Les37b,

I hope this all works out for you. One bright light is the cost of the PCR test for your return to the UK. It is very reasonable at the Halo area near T5’s Sofitel.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

And who do you think should be paying for these expensive tests for leisure travelers? Taxpayers?

I guess we have a different mindset in the UK, since the taxpayers DO pay for health care which also includes vaccines for travel. But that aside, I am not objecting to pay for a test. I am objecting to being ripped off by unscrupulous companies that are using the pandemic as a money printing machine. Despite what you have said, these tests are NOT expensive to do, only expensive to buy. I can get lateral flow tests by the box free on the NHS and book a PCR via the NHS for free..... But these are not accepted. I expect it wouldn't be too surprising to learn the board of directors on some of these companies are the MPs who gave them the contracts. These tests are also non refundable. More Kerching, since my up to 3 day tests, now needs to be booked and made into a 1 day test. Pay twice and even more! That is just not right or fair. That was my point and you had copied. "It needs to be regulated"

Having sailed on Viking in September for 11 days, the total cost for the 11 PCR tests we had done daily, was zero. The costs some of these rip off companies are charging, would have cost me 3 times what that cruise did if we were paying them ..... and they don't even provide any all inclusive treats. 😅

My personal view on the current hyper reaction is that it may well be with good intent, but I cant help feeling this variant might actually become the dominant strain and lead to the seemingly more deadly Delta strain being replaced. (seems to be the case in South Africa if the reports are to be beleived.) Speculation of course. I'm not a doctor, nor do I claim to be and I've quantified it as such. Maybe it can be a hope than prediction. I did ask a good doctor friend of mine when the pandemic will be over. His reply - "How should I know, I'm not a politician".

4 hours ago, markham said:

Les37b,

I hope this all works out for you. One bright light is the cost of the PCR test for your return to the UK. It is very reasonable at the Halo area near T5’s Sofitel.

Happy and healthy sailing!

The "current" return flight, arrives in London at 18.55. (Obviously that could change.) They are only open from 07.00 to 19.00. All the walk-ins are similar. We are struggling with the now 24hour test. Our outbound is at 09.40 on the 2nd Jan, so impossible to get on the day - and I'm not convinced these labs will be open on a bank holiday. If we have to do the 60 minute (minimum) drive the previous day, pay for parking, test and return, so be it. But its not convenient thats for sure. I already have paid for a Randox pre-fly, which is no longer valid. Of course no refund offered! Kerching.

• Thanks 1

If anyone hears any updates about the Dec.18 Silver Moon sailing from Guayaquil, please share these updates.  My feeling is that it will be cancelled at the last minute or the itinerary changed. We are ready to cancel our flight to Guayaquil.  Not worth taking a chance and get stuck in Ecuador in the middle of a pandemic. The best thing would be to reroute the ship so the boarding takes pace in Fort Lauderdale.

We flew into Guayaquil on our own for a SS cruise a few years ago.  We stayed at the airport Hilton which offered free airport transfers and someone was waiting for us at midnight with a sign with our name on it which was comforting.  We took a taxi the next day to the port which is an industrial port.  Our driver did not speak English but we managed.  It was a little confusing at the port because no one from SS was there until after we went through security and were sitting on a bench waiting to figure out what to do.  So we didn't actually see the city and can't comment on safety issues.  This was pre-Covid.

• Like 1

The US State Department has issued a "reconsider" for travel to Ecuador. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/ecuador-travel-advisory.html  And I read the crime rate in Guayaquil is rather high.  I still wish that Silversea would adjust the itinerary. We are flying in on the 17th and overnighting, boarding on the 18th... and the last thing I want to see is the government of Ecuador not let Silver Moon dock to disembark/embark new passengers... and we are then stranded in Guayaquil.  Not fun.  This pre-trip angst about international safety is not making us look forward to this trip.  We cannot control what a government health department will do.  Again... why can't we board in Panama City, which is safer, and has far more practical air connections.  I guess we'll just have to see how this plays out...

On 11/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, SSCAF001 said:

My return flights have already been amended by SS departing Guayaquil on December 18

Were you offered an option of a refund or a rebook to another SS cruise in the future given that you signed up for a departure from Lima (with a lot to see) and instead are given Guayaquil (with less to see and other issues)?  I know the contract directly or indirectly says they have  a right to change anything and everything when it comes to ports, including embarkation and disembarkation.

If not, (because they figured they would take care of your air changes anyway, and/or that most people are cruising for the ship and not the ports right now), do  you know if people who did not book air through SS were given that option?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

If not, (because they figured they would take care of your air changes anyway, and/or that most people are cruising for the ship and not the ports right now), do  you know if people who did not book air through SS were given that option?

We are on the Dec 18 sailing and made our own air arrangements. There was no refund offer, but instead an offer to reimburse up to USD500 pp for costs associated with the itinerary change. Our airfare ended up being less expensive since business class seats were not available to GYE. 

• Like 1

We are booked on the Jan 3rd cruise on the Moon FLL to Lima. The itinerary has been amended similarly to the current cruise to end in Guayaquil and our Macchu Picchu post-cruise trip was canceled. The email with the new itinerary:

Dear Esteemed Guest,

Your voyage on the beautiful Silver Moon is fast approaching and we look forward to welcoming you aboard. 

We are writing today with some important information regarding your cruise. Due to the on-going global situation and the evolving restrictions and regulations that are impacting travel to previously scheduled destinations, we have had to make necessary adjustments to this itinerary with your comfort and convenience top of mind. 

At this time, Peru remains closed to international travellers and we have therefore had to cancel our call in Salaverry. This voyage will now conclude in Guayaquil, Ecuador, and not in Lima (Callao), Peru. 

For guests with flights booked through Silversea, we will handle the re-routing and communicate the new flight itinerary once the change is made.

For guests with independent travel arrangements, we will reimburse additional costs related to the change of itinerary up to USD 500 per person upon receiving a copy of the original charges as well as the new charges indicating the fare increase. The applicable adjustment will be made to the credit card or payment method on file. Please note, the changes made cannot constitute a change in the cabin class, date, or airline.

In adjusting this itinerary to arrive in Guayaquil, we have also had to make additional operational amendments; Silver Moon will now visit Puntarenas, Puerto Quepos, and Golfito, Costa Rica, in lieu of port calls in Machala, Ecuador, as well as the in-transit stop in Guayaquil. A visit to Manta, Ecuador has also been added.

Please note, all shore excursion reservations impacted by this itinerary change will be automatically cancelled by our team in the coming days. Please visit your My Silversea account to review shore excursions available in Puntarenas, Puerto Quepos, Golfito, and Manta.

Also, the mid-cruise World of Galapagos Islands and post-cruise Machu Picchu Grande Explorer land programs have been cancelled. These will be removed from all applicable bookings, and all penalties will be waived. 

For your ease of reference, the new itinerary details are included below:

Date

Port

Country

Arrival

Departure

3-Jan-22

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida

United States of America

7:00

19:00

4-Jan-22

Day at Sea

At sea

5-Jan-22

Cozumel, Quintana Roo

Mexico

6-Jan-22

Belize City

Belize

10:00

7-Jan-22

Roatan Island

Honduras

13:00

8-Jan-22

Day at Sea

At sea

9-Jan-22

Puerto Limón

Costa Rica

15:30

10-Jan-22

Panama Canal Transit

Panama

5:30

19:30

10-Jan-22

Fuerte Amador (Panama City)

Panama

20:30

11-Jan-22

Fuerte Amador (Panama City)

Panama

18:00

12-Jan-22

Day At Sea

At sea

13-Jan-22

Puntarenas

Costa Rica

8:00

23:00

14-Jan-22

Puerto Quepos

Costa Rica

18:00

15-Jan-22

Golfito

Costa Rica

23:00

16-Jan-22

Day At Sea

At sea

17-Jan-22

Day at Sea

At sea

18-Jan-22

Manta

Ecuador

17:00

19-Jan-22

GUAYAQUIL

Ecuador

We thank you for your understanding of these circumstances that are beyond our control, and look forward to welcoming you aboard for an enriching and memorable cruise.

Best personal regards,

Barbara Muckermann

Chief Commercial Officer

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Re post #44, why does SS feel it is necessary to say Peru is closed to international travelers?  It is not. It is closed to cruisers.

Elbows and other body parts spring to mind! At the end of the day, our cruise isn't going to Lima and and anyone booked on Land excursions to Machu Picchu won't be doing that either (from Ecuador). I had read (I think on here) that Peru has shut down from travellers from Ecuador, so maybe that's what they were alluding to. (Trying to be charitable here! lol)

Anyway - popped in to post the details that was just posted above, so it's happened as expected and Peru is no more for this cruise. What I still don't know, is what is happening to the next one after ours which was Lima to Buenos Aires. As posted previously, I did expect not to be going to Lima, knew if the cruise happened, it was likely to be Guayaquil, but I really can't figure what they will do going forward because of the conditions set in Chile, which I'm assuming won't have changed, would involve probably 4 sea days from Ecuador, which I'm sure from what a friend who is one Explorer a week later, basically said their acceptance into Chile meant they arrive, hotel, port and all subject to PCRs which that extra long sea days added, may make it impossible. I've just emailed to find out the lowdown.

Looked in my.silversea and can see they have been busy and we are now booked on flights via Amsterdam on KLM. The flight times are actually better that Lima, so that's one positive. Luckily not later as that would have messed with my car park booking!  It also means we can hopefully be back in time to do the "2 day" PCR as soon as we arrive. (The Lima flights had us arriving after the test centre had closed.)

Still so much can happen between now and them. Netherlands appear to be getting close to locking down, which I suspect could mean that flight joy is short lived!

I've pretty much mostly elected to do our own flights, but fortunately the bookings to go are all silversea air booked. The thought of coughing up several times because of changes to this cruise and the next one out to Tokyo and back from Anchorage would probably bring tears to my eyes!

I don't think id even risk  "local" DIY air right now.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, les37b said:

Elbows and other body parts spring to mind! At the end of the day, our cruise isn't going to Lima and and anyone booked on Land excursions to Machu Picchu won't be doing that either (from Ecuador). I had read (I think on here) that Peru has shut down from travellers from Ecuador, so maybe that's what they were alluding to. (Trying to be charitable here! lol)

Anyway - popped in to post the details that was just posted above, so it's happened as expected and Peru is no more for this cruise. What I still don't know, is what is happening to the next one after ours which was Lima to Buenos Aires. As posted previously, I did expect not to be going to Lima, knew if the cruise happened, it was likely to be Guayaquil, but I really can't figure what they will do going forward because of the conditions set in Chile, which I'm assuming won't have changed, would involve probably 4 sea days from Ecuador, which I'm sure from what a friend who is one Explorer a week later, basically said their acceptance into Chile meant they arrive, hotel, port and all subject to PCRs which that extra long sea days added, may make it impossible. I've just emailed to find out the lowdown.

Looked in my.silversea and can see they have been busy and we are now booked on flights via Amsterdam on KLM. The flight times are actually better that Lima, so that's one positive. Luckily not later as that would have messed with my car park booking!  It also means we can hopefully be back in time to do the "2 day" PCR as soon as we arrive. (The Lima flights had us arriving after the test centre had closed.)

Still so much can happen between now and them. Netherlands appear to be getting close to locking down, which I suspect could mean that flight joy is short lived!

I've pretty much mostly elected to do our own flights, but fortunately the bookings to go are all silversea air booked. The thought of coughing up several times because of changes to this cruise and the next one out to Tokyo and back from Anchorage would probably bring tears to my eyes!

I don't think id even risk  "local" DIY air right now.

Were you just booked on FLL-Lima, with a January 19 disembarkation planned, or going beyond?  It would seem that some passengers would have booked this cruise primarily to get to Lima, and then on to Machu Picchu or other touring, rather than just getting off in unremarkable industrial Guayaquil.  And yet there is no offer for cancellation with a cruise credit. It is one thing to change ports on a voyage, quite another to have a  disembarkation change that eliminates a key tourist area.  

This is one of those unfortunate grey areas in Covid era cruising -- arguably not  enough for a line to cancel a cruise and give a refund or cruise credit, (since it's a "Panama Canal" cruise and it is still going to the Panama Canal), but not enough to allow trip insurance to cover it, because not liking your disembarkation options is not a coverable reason for most insurance like illness is, but it is enough to change the cruising experience (for some), including some having to fly home in coach instead of business.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, Doolz said:

We’re currently departing out of Guayaquil on the 18th Dec, certainly challenging rearranging flights as we decided to stick with our Machu Picchu trip, we managed to get a direct flight to Guayaquil from Lima as the major worry is losing your baggage and not allowing enough time to recover the situation. Glad to see the email from SS offering to cover the costs (up to $500 per/pax) incurred for airfares if you booked independently though.

We all understand that its a logistical nightmare dealing with the constant changes to each and every country, a bit surprised to see that they stated that Peru was closed to international travellers and this was the reason for the re-routing, I believe it’s closed to cruise ships but not to international travellers from what I have seen on Peruvian government websites, otherwise we've got another challenge to re-route our pre-arranged flight and tours in Peru!

II don’t understand why they cancelled Manta in Ecuador as we didn’t receive an explanation, as we are obviously embarking from Ecuador.

I suppose if you can’t handle the pressure and probable changes then don’t book a cruise in these uncertain times, for us it’s still worth the challenge as the feeling, experience and treatment when you finally get on board makes it all worthwhile.

You are so right on all fronts Doolz

We had the 4 night excursion to Machu Picchu before boarding the Moon on December 18th.  A real disappointment.

Like you we just want to get on the darn ship and enjoy this cruise.🦐🍷🍸🍹🥂🍾

Our nice long business class that we had to book ourselves is now a bunch of short flights.

We wanted to book through SS but they would not let us upgrade to Business Class. Still have not figured that one out. 

The good news is we will be in your country in November 2022. Another cancelation we  rebooked. Athens ending in Dubai. I cannot wait to see Dubai.

We will see you in  beautiful Guayaquil on the 18th of December. 🙏

Elaine😎

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Were you just booked on FLL-Lima, with a January 19 disembarkation planned, or going beyond?  It would seem that some passengers would have booked this cruise primarily to get to Lima, and then on to Machu Picchu or other touring, rather than just getting off in unremarkable industrial Guayaquil.  And yet there is no offer for cancellation with a cruise credit. It is one thing to change ports on a voyage, quite another to have a  disembarkation change that eliminates a key tourist area.  

This is one of those unfortunate grey areas in Covid era cruising -- arguably not  enough for a line to cancel a cruise and give a refund or cruise credit, (since it's a "Panama Canal" cruise and it is still going to the Panama Canal), but not enough to allow trip insurance to cover it, because not liking your disembarkation options is not a coverable reason for most insurance like illness is, but it is enough to change the cruising experience (for some), including some having to fly home in coach instead of business.

No, there certainly was no offer of a refund in the email. The changes made on this cruise are certainly significant enough to challenge that SS has amended the itinerary and longer matches the sales pitch of visiting Peru and Maccu Picchu. I am absolutely sure for UK guests if this was put to SS a cancellation request would be honoured. 

For me personally, its a big change and I probably would not have booked had this itinerary been put to me in the beginning. As it stands, the on off status, I would prefer to just take what's on the table (there is a lot behind my booking which you would need to appreciate if it gets cancelled it will take a huge hit - and not just because the same cruise one year on is 70% more at the time of booking than this was. And there is more than just that! I wont bore with the details, but lets say having the booking cancelled 4 times (3 of which were pre covid) I got an unbelievably fabulous deal which I'm certain would be crushed if its cancelled yet again.

As mentioned previously that the forward cruise was a bit of a mystery, but is now online and I cant see how its possible unless even more Chilean dispensation has been granted.

To gain entry a PCR test is required and results from departure less than 72 hours from arrival. Under normal circumstances, "easily" doable. This voyage has 3 full seadays! Which it leaves Ecuador the day before that and arrives in Chile the day after. Have SS purchased a PCR lab or further dispensation? Of course, that's on the supposition that further Omicron restrictions are not added to the woe.

If its a no go for the cruise from 19 Jan, then I am as certain as can be, mine on 3 Jan will also be cancelled (shortly!)

image.thumb.png.f45b295f9c3935aa8770fe062073402c.png

• Thanks 1

Just learned that the Whisper is changing from Callao to Guayaquil for January 18. Not sure how many of us were embarking in Lima on January 18, but what a hassle now we have to change our flights. Hopefully Silversea will make the "official" announcement and itinerary change sooner than later. Guess Peru just doesn't trust cruise ships yet which is really sad!