Covid 19 testing with Royal Caribbean test kit.

bschmitt

We did this a couple of weeks ago. Of course you have to pay and in our state a test is free but we got invited to a simulated cruise and only had a week to get the test that was to be completed two days prior to the cruise. I ordered the test and we completed it on line. It was easy and we got the results back at once. We had a three day window in August on our regular cruise out of Galvestion and did the test through CVS and it also worked great. If, in your area you can get the rapid test within the window that would be the less expensive choise. If you don't want that hassle or are not able to get a appoitment in your area the RCCL Abbott lab test is also good but has a cost associated with it. 

First, they are not Royal test kits. You can also order directly from Optum or Emed. Royal just has a link to those sellers.

I ordered directly from Optum and used one last month for my Ovation cruise. I will use the other next month for another cruise.

The whole anticipation is worse than the actual testing. I am a senior and had no problem following the directions and working with the proctors. I did the test on my laptop, since I am be myself and thought it was easier than using iPhone and iPad.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bschmitt said:

Has anyone done the covid test with the at home Royal Caribbean test kit and video observation?   Trying to find out how this works before I mess it up.

I did the test about 2 weeks ago, in my hotel room. 

You don't open the box until the online person (on video) tells you to open it. 

They will walk you through every step. 

My lady was speaking with a strong (English is her 2nd language) accent. 

I resolved early in the procedure that I was not going to feel rushed and that if I did not understand what she was saying that I was going to ask her to repeat herself. 

I could tell that she was trained well to repeat her sentences if it appeared that I did not understand what she was saying. 

Also, as she is talking - the words are on the computer screen.  

No worries. 

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bschmitt said:

Has anyone done the covid test with the at home Royal Caribbean test kit and video observation?   Trying to find out how this works before I mess it up.

There are videos on YouTube showing how the emed test process works.

We an early flight 2 days before our cruise, so we plan to do the video monitored emed tests from our hotel.

I also plan to buy the over the counter Binax test from Sam’s Club (2 tests for $14) and do those tests at home the day before our flight.  

IMPORTANT:   The at home test kits from retail stores like Sam’s Club are not valid for cruising.  But it will give us the opportunity to practice with inexpensive tests the day before we fly.  I believe the testing process is the same except that it’s not monitored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife just did it.  Took about 30 minutes end to end, including getting all the info added before joining the live session.  Once she clicked, someone came on in less than 20 seconds.

Person did have an accent, but walked through the steps very clearly.

Wife used a laptop.  Probably easiest as occasionally had to tilt the camera.  And was supposed to leave it still on the desk for the 15 minute timer.

All and all, she said it was super easy and saved time over driving to the store.  She is not a computer expert.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

My wife just did it.  Took about 30 minutes end to end, including getting all the info added before joining the live session.  Once she clicked, someone came on in less than 20 seconds.

Wife used a laptop.  Probably easiest as occasionally had to tilt the camera.  And was supposed to leave it still on the desk for the 15 minute timer.

All and all, she said it was super easy and saved time over driving to the store.  She is not a computer expert.. 

If you take the test on the laptop, is there any reason to download the app, or is email sufficient to get your certified results?

Maybe I'm the only one who got a defective kit but now I'm scrambling to find a testing place.  Will probably end up getting the test at the port for $99.  Better that not going.  After doing the test it appears that the sticky strip that holds the card together was missing so its no good after I did the whole thing.  Not taking a chance on our December cruise, one bad kit may have just ruined my vacation since we are to leave on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bschmitt said:

Maybe I'm the only one who got a defective kit but now I'm scrambling to find a testing place.  Will probably end up getting the test at the port for $99.  Better that not going.  After doing the test it appears that the sticky strip that holds the card together was missing so its no good after I did the whole thing.  Not taking a chance on our December cruise, one bad kit may have just ruined my vacation since we are to leave on Sunday.

Ouch. Sorry to hear. I have an extra if you lived closer. We’re leaving on Sunday on liberty. 

@travelhoundi don’t think she used the phone at all. But I wasn’t really watching. 

11 hours ago, bschmitt said:

This is another good example of why excessive testing is not a practical long-term solution for fully vaccinated passengers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bschmitt said:

Maybe I'm the only one who got a defective kit but now I'm scrambling to find a testing place.  After doing the test it appears that the sticky strip that holds the card together was missing so its no good after I did the whole thing…one bad kit may have just ruined my vacation…

Not taking any chances - I ordered the 3-pack just for myself, in case something goes wrong or there is a faulty kit among them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

I would say your assessment is quite accurate.  We have used the 'at home proctored Covid tests' twice now, and both times was a good experience.  It is difficult where we have been to get local test appointments and these test kits make the 'appointment unnecessary' since you do it from your own home.  

In our second experience, I just asked the proctor to speak slower, because English clearly was not her first language....and then all went well.

2 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

I would say your assessment is quite accurate.  We have used the 'at home proctored Covid tests' twice now, and both times was a good experience.  It is difficult where we have been to get local test appointments and these test kits make the 'appointment unnecessary' since you do it from your own home.  

In our second experience, I just asked the proctor to speak slower, because English clearly was not her first language....and then all went well.

Did you have to use the app to present proof of a negative test?

45 minutes ago, travelhound said:

How did you present your proof of vaccination, was it just a PDF emailed to you?

We got an email almost immediately after the test was completed.  Then about 30 minutes later there was a notification in the Navica app that is part of the process.  My DH does like to print out what comes just in case the internet access at the port is bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

We got an email almost immediately after the test was completed.  Then about 30 minutes later there was a notification in the Navica app that is part of the process.  My DH does like to print out what comes just in case the internet access at the port is bad.

So you have the option to just print the PDF that is emailed to you and not use the app.  Is that correct?

5 minutes ago, travelhound said:

So you have the option to just print the PDF that is emailed to you and not use the app.  Is that correct?

I don't know if you have the 'option', maybe call someone who is at the company for more clarification.  When we did the test prior to our Panama Canal cruise we were not at home, and no ability to print, so needed to rely on internet access to email and app.  For our upcoming Oasis cruise we are home, so able to print, and DH likes that ability.

I would GUESS, but just a guess that the email that is sent is sufficient, but that is just my guess.

Edited by Paulette3028
clarification
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

I don't know if you have the 'option', maybe call someone who is at the company for more clarification.  When we did the test prior to our Panama Canal cruise we were not at home, and no ability to print, so needed to rely on internet access to email and app.  For our upcoming Oasis cruise we are home, so able to print, and DH likes that ability.

I would GUESS, but just a guess that the email that is sent is sufficient, but that is just my guess.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've watched a couple of YouTube videos and it appears that we may need to use the app to present the certificate.  Since we are going to be in Florida 3 days prior to the cruise, it sounds like we will have to bring a laptop along with our cell phones so that we can test from the hotel room.

53 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I've watched a couple of YouTube videos and it appears that we may need to use the app to present the certificate.  Since we are going to be in Florida 3 days prior to the cruise, it sounds like we will have to bring a laptop along with our cell phones so that we can test from the hotel room.

the Navica app never worked on my Android phone nor my husbands iPhone. We did the test on the laptop through the eMed link. Got an email with the results which we printed off. Kept the email in case someone had their knickers in a knot and wanted to see the email.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

the Navica app never worked on my Android phone nor my husbands iPhone. We did the test on the laptop through the eMed link. Got an email with the results which we printed off. Kept the email in case someone had their knickers in a knot and wanted to see the email.

That's good to know that we can just use the email.  There seems to be some conflicting information on the purpose for using the app.

Edited by travelhound