Culinary Arts Class

boblerm

We've never done one, and we are considering it for our next cruise.  The problem is that the only ones that are available are at 4PM.

Given the fact that we do not want to spoil our appetites for dinner, heaven forbid, which we generally do at 7PM, we are wondering how much food do you actually eat at these events?  Hors d'oeuvre portions?  Appetizer portions?  Entree portions?

And most importantly, will we be drinking cocktails as we are participating?  I ask because the class may be infringing on cocktail hour, which would be a deal breaker.🥂

Anything else that I should know?

Bob

Hi Bob

We have done the culinary class at 4pm….. it was lots of fun and are doing it again on our upcoming cruise. Last time we made small pieces of steak, lamb chop and scallops. We noshed on it around 5:45pm. 

Yes, we did have wine and yes our appetites were satisfied. We went back to our suite and started getting hungry about 7pm. We ordered dinner and was served by our butler. We enjoyed it, but  really could have had dinner in one of the restaurants. 
If you haven’t done it, try it… it’s was very enjoyable and we learned how to use a cast iron frying pan. 
And, you do not have to drink the wine.    
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hi Bob

We have done the culinary class at 4pm….. it was lots of fun and are doing it again on our upcoming cruise. Last time we made small pieces of steak, lamb chop and scallops. We noshed on it around 5:45pm. 

Yes, we did have wine and yes our appetites were satisfied. We went back to our suite and started getting hungry about 7pm. We ordered dinner and was served by our butler. We enjoyed it, but  really could have had dinner in one of the restaurants. 
If you haven’t done it, try it… it’s was very enjoyable and we learned how to use a cast iron frying pan. 
And, you do not have to drink the wine.    
sheila

Thanks Sheila, looks like something that we would enjoy!

• Like 1

Interestingly, currently on Explorer, the Culinary Arts classes have been suspended due to some new CDC regulation interpretation. They are doing “classes” but they are live demonstrations only—no hands-on cooking. Disappointing. Hopefully this will get sorted in the near future. 

The last time we did one of these classes we were pretty full afterwards. You don’t have to eat all the food. But I believe the wine is mandatory. 😝🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

Interestingly, currently on Explorer, the Culinary Arts classes have been suspended due to some new CDC regulation interpretation. They are doing “classes” but they are live demonstrations only—no hands-on cooking. Disappointing. Hopefully this will get sorted in the near future. 

The last time we did one of these classes we were pretty full afterwards. You don’t have to eat all the food. But I believe the wine is mandatory. 😝🍷

I would hope that the cost of the class was refunded.  We sign up for these (have 3 booked on Splendor in March) for the hands-on.  We can watch cooking demos anytime we want on-line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puppyluv1 said:

Hi. Has anyone done the knife skills class?  Wondering if food is served at that class. I didn’t realize the class was at 4 pm when I booked my dinner reservation at Pacific Rim for 6:30. 

I think food and wine is always involved.  You have to cut something with the knives!

2 hours ago, puppyluv1 said:

Hi. Has anyone done the knife skills class?  Wondering if food is served at that class. I didn’t realize the class was at 4 pm when I booked my dinner reservation at Pacific Rim for 6:30. 

I think that you need to arrive at Pacific Rim hungry!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, puppyluv1 said:

Yes, I did the class on the Explorer a couple of weeks ago. Excellent class. No food is made - different than the menu classes.  You'll be able to go to your 6:30 Pacific Rim dinner - it will be a little tight but you'll be OK.

I've taken a couple of the classes on Splendor this 2021 Mediterranean cruise.  I didn't care for the wine the chef provided and picked up a beer before class started.  Chef Kelly only has a Rose available and it didn't "rock my boat". 

1 hour ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Ha Ha . .

Seriously,  we did cut lots of things - onions, carrots etc. here is a photo of what we were going to do - and did. We did not cook or eat anything.

IMG_7515.JPG

Great info....thanks. Taking this class on Splendor in March.

23 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

So are these classes demo only and no food samples passed out to class participants?

If so, did they still charge you the original class fee, or was there some sort of a refund offered?

I’d like to know this also. If it is observation only I would cancel the few I booked in Feb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrvlcruiser said:

The knife skills class was not demonstration.

The classes at the moment on the Explorer - I don't know about Splendor - are demonstration and as I understand, there is no charge.

Hopefully this changes by February. These classes are so much fun, whatever your cooking skill level