MDR Sides

mcoler181

Hi All,

Is it possible to get sides in the MDR.

For example, I was looking at a menu and there was a new york strip served with steamed asparagus, roasted tomatoes and Lyonnaise potatoes, would it be possible to get a side of fries with it?

2 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Hi All,

Is it possible to get sides in the MDR.

For example, I was looking at a menu and there was a new york strip served with steamed asparagus, roasted tomatoes and Lyonnaise potatoes, would it be possible to get a side of fries with it?

Just off Divina and our waiter brought us anything we wanted. 
I’m used to eating a lot of vegetables and the first couple of nights I asked for double veggies because the portion that came with the entree was a little lite. 

After the second night I didn’t have to ask for them to double the veggies.  He just brought me a separate plate with an assortment.
 My husband did order steak fries a couple of times also.  

54 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Good info. Do they have baked potatoes available even if not on menu?

Divina had baked potatoes in the MDR last week.
They’re on the “up charge” side of the menu under “sides” along with steak fries but they didn’t charge us for it or for the NY strip my husband ordered twice. (It’s supposed to be $9.95) 

Heres an example of a menu we had look under Featured Selection

12529E23-A8E1-4CA6-9CD6-B7ACF5E8CE64.png

Edited by styles27
  • Like 3

That’s a feature I haven’t seen before on a menu.

I can’t  remember if they offered baked potatoes with the extra cost T-bone steak (though we’ve had it a couple of times 🙄). 

NY strip used to be on the always available section of the menus for US sailings.  So, they’ve now made it a for charge item.  From YC menus that I’ve seen, it’s not for charge.

I’ll be following this development closely.   I was looking forward to it being an alternative to the main menu, which doesn’t always suit my picky ways. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

That’s a feature I haven’t seen before on a menu.

I can’t  remember if they offered baked potatoes with the extra cost T-bone steak (though we’ve had it a couple of times 🙄). 

NY strip used to be on the always available section of the menus for US sailings.  So, they’ve now made it a for charge item.  From YC menus that I’ve seen, it’s not for charge.

I’ll be following this development closely.   I was looking forward to it being an alternative to the main menu, which doesn’t always suit my picky ways. 

Our waiter didn’t charge us for any of the upcharge items we had throughout the week.  
The first night my husband ordered the sirloin was because he didn’t like the menu choices. When I asked our waiter for the bill so we could sign it he said “how can I charge someone for food in the MDR…it’s supposed to be included” 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, styles27 said:

Our waiter didn’t charge us for any of the upcharge items we had throughout the week.  
The first night my husband ordered the sirloin was because he didn’t like the menu choices. When I asked our waiter for the bill so we could sign it he said “how can I charge someone for food in the MDR…it’s supposed to be included” 

Good on him!  👍

I also notice that salmon is no longer indicated in the Classic section.  It’s now ‘Catch of the day’ - similar to Med menus.    Hopefully it won’t be anything like what I was served last month on Seashore!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Good on him!  👍

I also notice that salmon is no longer indicated in the Classic section.  It’s now ‘Catch of the day’ - similar to Med menus.    Hopefully it won’t be anything like what I was served last month on Seashore!

From that pic of the "Catch of the day" you posted, I sure hope not either!!!🤢

3 hours ago, styles27 said:

When I asked our waiter for the bill so we could sign it he said “how can I charge someone for food in the MDR…it’s supposed to be included” 

That gentleman would have just earned himself a nice gratuity if I heard those words!  

I don't recall seeing a Baked Potato on any YC menu during my cruise.  Their pastas always were of more interest to me than a Baked Potato.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That gentleman would have just earned himself a nice gratuity if I heard those words!  

I don't recall seeing a Baked Potato on any YC menu during my cruise.  Their pastas always were of more interest to me than a Baked Potato.  

That’s exactly what we did and he didn’t want to take it but we made sure he and his assistant were taken care of.
These guys have to be hurting right now with so few passengers on board their paychecks are surely taking a hit. 

• Like 1

The Meraviglia sailed with under 30% capacity so there were loads of staff at MDR and buffet willing to cater to any demand.  My wife preferred the flavored Coffeemate creamer they have in the buffet, so when coffee/cream/sugar was offered with dessert she asked for it and they obviously sent someone scurrying up to the buffet to get some.  It was there every night afterwards.  Our kids didn't love eating the kids menu stuff all the time, so when a 3 year old said "I want grapes", sure enough 10 minutes later there was a plate full from the kitchen or buffet.  So my experience was ask in the MDR and if its on board they probably will get it for you

• Like 2

We've never had a bad meal on MSC and have enjoyed the variety

Each evening there is a veg option, a pasta, meat (pork/beef/veal etc) and a seafood

Am not surprised to see changes in menus since the shutdown/restart

in part--anything that stops food waste I'm all for it. 

We have B2Bs booked in early 2022 and are so looking fwd to being back on the ship.

• Like 1