Changing guarantee cabin assignment?

MisterBill99

Does Holland allow you to request a change to your guarantee cabin after it's been assigned? We just got 11055 on Rotterdam, which is a VB. There's a review in a thread from Koningsdam in 2017 which says that it's a terrible cabin, despite the higher class.  I know that Celebrity allows you to switch within the same category. Does HAL? There is no other deck for VB, but maybe we could be moved from the end, where apparently the poster heard people jogging every morning, plus being right near the movie screen. Of course, I could also hope that HAL added more insulation between Kdam and Rdam, but I'm not betting on that.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2420790-help-with-choosing-cabins-on-konigsdam/?do=findComment&comment=52060821

Edited by MisterBill99

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Does Holland allow you to request a change to your guarantee cabin after it's been assigned? We just got 11055 on Rotterdam, which is a VB. There's a review in a thread from Koningsdam in 2017 which says that it's a terrible cabin, despite the higher class.  I know that Celebrity allows you to switch within the same category. Does HAL? There is no other deck for VB, but maybe we could be moved from the end, where apparently the poster heard people jogging every morning, plus being right near the movie screen. Of course, I could also hope that HAL added more insulation between Kdam and Rdam, but I'm not betting on that.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2420790-help-with-choosing-cabins-on-konigsdam/?do=findComment&comment=52060821

I was under the impression that the reason for the discount is that you agree to accept the room they assigned when booking a guarantee.

If you wanted to choose your cabin, you should have done that to begin with because now they are all picked over.  Guarantee means they Guarantee you a cabin of their choice.  And they did.

Good luck

You should always ask.  I don't buy guarantees any more, haven't in many years but I always ask if there is anything available for an upsell.  I have always gotten fairly good offers.  Considering that many ships are sailing well below capacity you may be pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Deck 4 has VB rooms.

L.

Does Holland allow you to request a change to your guarantee cabin after it's been assigned?

Don't know if HAL still allows it, but we did it on the old Rotterdam several years ago, after getting assigned one of the inside "spa" cabins up in the bow of the ship, that are size of a broom closet.  Switched to a nice outside cabin on the promenade deck for not a lot of money.  This was done through our travel agent, not direct with HAL.  Good luck to you. 🙂

2 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

I can’t answer your question but what is terrible about it?  Just curious. 

Click on the link I included. It's the last cabin in the aisle and the jogging track and movie screen are on the other side of the wall. The person also complained about hearing the horn because it was foggy, but I am not as concerned about that on a Caribbean sailing.

In theory this should be a better cabin since it's VB, but as many have found, better category doesn't always equate to better cabin

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, richwmn said:

In the past if you didn't like your guarantee assignment you could roll the dice again by going back into the guarantee pool but you couldn't select a cabin from among those remaining.

I know that Royal offers that. But I'm not sure what they would do nine days from sailing.

53 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You should always ask.  I don't buy guarantees any more, haven't in many years but I always ask if there is anything available for an upsell.  I have always gotten fairly good offers.  Considering that many ships are sailing well below capacity you may be pleasantly surprised.

I was offered an upsell to a Vista Suite for $349pp last week and did not take it because it wasn't worth it. 

39 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Deck 4 has VB rooms.

Thanks. But I checked a TA site that allows you to easily view by category and only 11009 is available in the VB category. It's at least at the front of the aisle, so would not have the jogging track and movie screen issues.

3 hours ago, leerathje said:

Deck 4 has VB rooms.

Thanks. But I checked a TA site that allows you to easily view by category and only 11009 is available in the VB category. It's at least at the front of the aisle, so would not have the jogging track and movie screen issues.

Update -- I checked available cabins again and more had opened up, including 4158, which seems to have a double-deep balcony I guess all the VB's on deck 4 do, some are even double side (but not this one). Called my TA's customer service (I had emailed but had not heard back) and they called HAL, and they agreed to move me. So the answer to my original question is yes, it can be done. Much happier with my new cabin location.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

4158 sounds perfect!  Good for you!

Yes, I got lucky. I'm guessing that they're processing upsells to Vista suites, which is why more cabins had opened up from when I had looked earlier in the day. 

There are plenty of V and VA cabins available, but none have the bigger balcony, just a more center ship location (and they did not give me one of those categories). We've actually been in VC cabins right around this one on deck 5 on Koningsdam, so the location is fine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yes, I got lucky. I'm guessing that they're processing upsells to Vista suites, which is why more cabins had opened up from when I had looked earlier in the day. 

There are plenty of V and VA cabins available, but none have the bigger balcony, just a more center ship location (and they did not give me one of those categories). We've actually been in VC cabins right around this one on deck 5 on Koningsdam, so the location is fine.

HUGE balcony. This is 4191 on the Koningsdam.  We had the divider open between our and my brother's room next door.

L.

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8834.JPG

11.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leerathje said:

HUGE balcony. This is 4191 on the Koningsdam.  We had the divider open between our and my brother's room next door.

L.

Thanks for the picture. I found a write-up of a similar cabin on some website, and the person said it was excellent, even worth paying for a VB to get it as opposed to a Vista suite. I lucked out on this one, because if the TA's customer service had responded to my email and I hadn't needed to call later in the day, I would have been switched to another cabin on deck 11, just not right next to the jogging track and movie screen!

There are actually a couple of cabins that have double wide AND double deep balconies! And the cabin numbers have changed between Kdam and Rdam (off by two) so you need to look at the deck plan to verify for the specific ship.

Edited by MisterBill99