Final Boarding Time?

Calnev1

Cruising on the Panorama out of Long Beach in December.  I think one of our party is cutting their airport arrival a bit too close, with a scheduled flight arrival in LGB at 1:30 PM.  

The ship is scheduled to depart at 4:30.  Can anyone tell me what the final boarding time is likely to be?  Particularly interested in the observations of those who have sailed out of Long Beach recently.

Sailing time may be 4:30 PM, but remember that once the gangway is pulled, no one gets on after that.

In the packet of info that is emailed out before departure day, there should be a page that has the terminal/pier address.  There should also be a phone number for shoreside contact.  If your friend is running late, I would encourage them to call the number and let the shoreside staff know what their ETA, or how close they are to the pier.  It could make all the difference if they are running late.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

Wow.  That is cutting it close for me especially for a CA port.  If there is any delay then it will be a nail bitter because even if your flight is on time you have to factor in getting off the flight, retrieve luggage and then try to predict the unpredictable CA traffic.  Definitely have the shoreside staff number handy and be ready to call.  You can also monitor the progress and let guest service know if you are already onboard.  I had a traveling party who got mixed up with the time once in Alaska and I was on the gang way begging them to wait for an extra few minutes while she is running back.  Luckily she made it but she was late!

5 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

Wow.  That is cutting it close for me especially for a CA port.  If there is any delay then it will be a nail bitter because even if your flight is on time you have to factor in getting off the flight, retrieve luggage and then try to predict the unpredictable CA traffic. 

2 hours ago, Pyxie said:

I would not recommend this, especially with the possibility of delayed flights and those are happening more often these days.

You all are preaching to the choir!   🙂

• Like 1

Due to federal government regulations one has to be in the terminal by 1 hour before sail away time.  They have to submit a complete manifest of the pax aboard to the government before they can leave the port and get approval to sail.  They will lock the terminal doors not allowing anyone to enter during that time.  OP's friend may well have to press the beads tightly as they sweat making it on time.  

• Like 1

This could easily morph into a 'fly the day before' thread.  It's always what we do.  I certainly understand folks that fly the morning of, but only if that flight is absolute first thing, doesn't involve a connection, has viable 'options' if something happens to the original flight, and arrives at the destination as many hours as possible before Final Boarding.

We only know one factor in this for the OP's traveling companion.  It could be much worse and a fool's errand.  Good luck!