Le Bistro: Fruits de Mer appetizer is now main course. Same portion sizes :( PIC

fstuff1

Old thread about Fruits de Mer:

2021 menu:

IMG_20211124_181647.jpg

IMG_20211124_183623.jpg

2 shrimp, scallops, clams and asparagus.

Instead of puff pastry, there's now mashed potatoes. (And instead of mussels, it's clams. I miss the mussels as appetizer.)

Waiter said the lobster thermidor is +$10 to the platinum dinner even though the voucher said  up to $35. ☹️

I think it should have been 39-35 = $4 more (shrug)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Old thread about Fruits de Mer:

2021 menu:

IMG_20211124_181647.jpg

IMG_20211124_183623.jpg

2 shrimp, scallops, clams and asparagus.

Instead of puff pastry, there's now mashed potatoes. (And instead of mussels, it's clams. I miss the mussels as appetizer.)

Waiter said the lobster thermidor is +$10 to the platinum dinner even though the voucher said  up to $35. ☹️

I think it should have been 39-35 = $4 more (shrug)

Ugh. I enjoyed the mussels and original fruits de mer. How disappointing.

• Like 2

It's not the same. No puff pastry and the sauce is different. The original was one of my favorite NCL dishes I have ever had. Then when it switched to the appetizer, they would let me order it as an entree with a bigger portion. When I saw it back as an entree in August, I was so happy until I read the description. It's still pretty tasty and I will continue to order it, but it's disappointing compared to the original. 

I agree, the original was my favorite NCL dish.  The new one is no where near as good.  They also took away the chocolate fondue and the profiterals (sp?).

Now I need to keep trying things to find a new favorite.  Oh, the tiresome work!  Lol!

22 hours ago, Falckon said:

The Fruits de Mer is really disappointing. I was planning on having the lobster thermidor for my Platinum dinner and assumed it would only be $4 more. Even more dissapointing. 

We dined at Le Bistro twice on a recent cruise.  The first night I used my Platinum Plus dining coupon.  It has a value of up to $35 for the main course, plus one appetizer and one dessert.  I ordered the lobster and there was a $4 surcharge (plus tax and gratuity) for a total of $5.20.  When we went back later that week, my wife thought about ordering it, but by then we were using our FAS dining package.  There would have been a surcharge of $10 plus tax and tip if she had ordered it then.  On the plus side, though, the FAS dining package does not have a limit on the number of appetizers or desserts.  The pricing structure of the two plans and their limitations don't make much sense to me, either, but over time you learn NCL's rules and how to game the system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldmom said:

I agree, the original was my favorite NCL dish.  The new one is no where near as good.  They also took away the chocolate fondue and the profiterals (sp?).

Now I need to keep trying things to find a new favorite.  Oh, the tiresome work!  Lol!

The profiteroles were my second-favorite Le Bistro dessert, ranking just a notch below the Chocolate Napoleon.  Now both of them are gone.  I tried one of the other desserts on a recent visit, but I think we skipped dessert on our second Le Bistro meal on that cruise.

I had the dover sole and it was fresh and excellent.  It was the only delicious fish dish I had on the whole 2 week cruise.  I must have tried 10 times.  Fish was either incorrect (ordered grouper got branzino) not fresh, and/or over cooked.  The scallops were often cut in half, so one would look like 2.  The shrimp were tough.

21 hours ago, robandlil said:

I had the dover sole and it was fresh and excellent.  It was the only delicious fish dish I had on the whole 2 week cruise.  I must have tried 10 times.  Fish was either incorrect (ordered grouper got branzino) not fresh, and/or over cooked.  The scallops were often cut in half, so one would look like 2.  The shrimp were tough.

so you paid the $4 extra for dover sole? or did you use the dining package?

On 11/26/2021 at 1:00 PM, The Traveling Man said:

The first night I used my Platinum Plus dining coupon. 

It has a value of up to $35 for the main course, plus one appetizer and one dessert.  I ordered the lobster and there was a $4 surcharge (plus tax and gratuity) for a total of $5.20. 

yeah, as i thought.

the waiter was wrong.

will try it next cruise