Skipping the Muster Drill

Cinebrat

Now I know most of the seasoned cruisers have either done this or have contemplated doing it. I have been on a lot of cruises and after about the first dozen muster drills that I have been on, I started to make a game out of trying to find places to hide. Where are some of your secret places to hide during the drill.

Now I know most of the seasoned cruisers have either done this or have contemplated doing it. I have been on a lot of cruises and after about the first dozen muster drills that I have been on, I started to make a game out of trying to find places to hide. Where are some of your secret places to hide during the drill.

Same sort of folks who ignore the instructions at the beginning of airplane rides, and then sue the airline when an accident occurs because they couldn't get off the plane. Oh well, takes all kinds to run the world, keep playing silly troll games, and the rest of us will continue to wait while they track you down. Too bad they don't announce the name and stateroom number of the people they have to track down, wouldn't it be fun to pay them back a little? :rolleyes:

Wraithe

we have been on several cruises. not particularly one of the things you want to do. my advice: like removing a bandaid, just do it & get it over with.

i have seen people who have been rounded up late (while everyone waits) walk past like it's a joke). until people start in on them. while name calling is not an adult reaction, some people just can't help themselves. (hey, it's a vacation, lighten up & relax!

As mentioned above, the crew members at each life boat station have listings of cabin assignments, and check off attendees. When the muster is complete they notify the bridge, and the muster drill proceeds. Late arrivals and stragglers only make it more uncomfortable for those that comply with the rules. Safety at sea is no joke, and NO ONE appreciates those that intentionally flount the rules.

If you have a problem with the stairs, you can take the elevator a few minutes prior to the start of the drill, or any crew member will be happy to assist you.

Petert

I agree. Just grin and bear it since it holds up the whole process for the rest of the passengers. I can relate to feeling not so kindly thoughts on my last cruise when we had to wait for a group of 4 to come to our muster station. Our wait was made longer by that group , and while they thought it was funny...I didn't appreciate it too much since I was able to make it on time with my family (2 kids). The kids were fine, it was just the inconvenience of it all that could have been avoided with a little courtesy towards their fellow passengers.

I have to agree that the Muster Drill is very important. To me being a Firefighter this drill is important not only to my safety but to the safety of girlfriend and the other passengers. If there were to be an emergency at sea that's mot the time to fine where your muster station and boat is.

Also that little floor plan on the back of your cabin door is as equally important and I always suggest you count the cabin doors from yours to the nearest exit that's on your cabin door in case of fire and visibility may be low and smoke forces you to the floor.

Now saying all this YES unfortunetly I have skipped the Drill ONCE over at Carnival about 10 years ago and have not since. We were with a large group and got caught up in the group in not attending the drill and yes We were part of the hold-up and no excuses it ws just wrong and we all knew that and felt bad.

Stay Safe, it's only 20-30 minutes out of a long planned relaxing vacation.

After flying in to one of our cruises I became air sick and was still ill when we boarded the ship. I still attended the muster drill ( puking in a paper bag the whole time). I felt better after being out on the deck for the drill, took a short nap during the supper hour and then felt great for the rest of the trip.

Instead of trying to get out of it (like First-Due says, it's only 20-30 minutes) you could arrive on time with you life vest on and meet some new friends. Here's a thought, maybe even help someone who is having problems with the vest or is a first time cruiser and might have questions.

It takes such a short time to attend and there is really nothing else to do at that time. (the bars are closed). We've even met a few new friends at the drill.

Of course - the safety factor is the reason everyone should attend.

Maybe the OP was joking.

Marci

I'm heartily agreeing with all who have supported compliance with the drill. While you may feel that you know everything you need to know in case of an emergency the fact is that the whole thing isn't about you. Unless you're 6 years old, which would be a good excuse for such a lack of concern for others' saftey and comfort, I would hope you'd at least respect the crew members who are responsible for you.

Do yourself and your fellow passengers a favor, and don't play silly games during the muster drill.

I sailed the AOS a few weeks ago and the whole process was held up because a few passengers thought they were "above" what 3500 passengers took part in. Pretty pathetic don't you think?

On my cruise last month, not only did they not check us in when we arrived, but 2 out of our 5 life jackets had the wrong muster station on them.

When they tried to direct us to different stations, I quickly pointed out that we were all in the same cabin, and I was not leaving 2 out of my 3 kids to go to another station.

I told my stateroom attendant about it and the fact that I needed a child's vest. (There were only adult vests in my room.) They were never replaced as I checked them again later on in the week.

I actually forgot about that until now and I should have done something about it at the time. Thank goodness there wasn't a problem or it might have been an issue.

Sharonna

I hide in the most obvious place, on deck at our muster station with my life jacket on. I blend right in with the rest of the crowd.

As mentioned, there is a safety officer at each muster station checking your cabin number off their list. No show, no check. What they do to those that don't show I have no idea and don't really care to find out.

Really, it's not all the big a deal and it's just part of cruising that you have to put up with. After the Titanic, it's just good sense to practice this short 10 to 15 minute drill and keeps the crew prepared. Make it easy on yourself and everyone else who has to wait for you to show up. Just go to the drill, stand there looking stupid with the rest of us and get it over with. If you want a to live a little dangerously, blow the whistle and hope the person who wrapped their lips around it before you didn't have a bunch of mouth sores to pass on. ;)

On our last cruise in December of 05 on the Jewel OTS, as we were at our muster stations the Captain came over the PA and stated in a slightly Pissed off voice, " This ship will not sail until everyone has reported to their muster station." Shortly thereafter stragglers were seen coming out the door with a sheepish look on their faces. I certainly wouldnt want to start my cruise by being embarrassed in front of all. Just go to the muster for goodness sake.

I absolutely agree with those who said "Just GO!". It's important, it's a requirement: COMPLY.

I have to report, though, that not every ship is very careful about the whole process. On the Sovereign, in December, we were on a B2B. We dutifully went to our muster station on December 27, in our life jackets, and asked every SOS crew member we saw, "Are you checking us in?" Not one took our cabin numbers. The next day, we got a paper under our cabin door, "signed by the Captain", *yelling* at us for missing muster drill. I went down to the Purser's Desk, and told them my brief tale. They just shrugged it off.

My point is, the drill was NOT held up "looking for us." They just completed the muster drill, we THOUGHT we were in compliance, no one waited for us, it just all happened.

The next cruise, December 30, they STILL didn't "check us in." But we didn't get a letter that time.

I don't know why, but they just WEREN'T checking off the cabin numbers of those in attendance. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'll chime in on the side of those suggesting that everyone show up for the muster on time.

I am a captain for a large international airline that routinely gets trashed (sometimes rightfully so :eek: ) on these boards. Everytime I sit in the back of the airplane in (or out of) uniform I always take a few minutes to put down what I am doing, review the emergency exits and doors on the emergency briefing card and politely pay attention to the flight attendants.

I enjoy seeing the reaction of fellow passengers when they see the captain review the safety briefing cards. Most pick up the card and look at it also. I guess they figure if I'm doing it, they should also. Others remain oblivious.

Please show up for muster on time and pay attention. It may save your life.

After muster, resume partying and have a great cruise!

Dr. Evil :)

i can not think why we a discussing the fire muster issue......GO TO IT...if it's important to the cruise line it's important to all of us...even if you have been to 12 or 13 or 14 before the next one...end of discussion...what else would you do for 15-20 minuets...

Archived