Walking from Cruise Terminal to Zona Romantica Puerta Vallarta

jer_l

I have a massage booked at Acqua Spa in Zona Romantica when we visit in January and wondered about the feasibility of walking from the cruise terminal to there and then returning to the ship by taxi.  I regularly walk 3-4 miles each day and this seems to be just around 4 miles. 

I've also thought about taking a taxi part way and then walking the rest of the way to my destination. If I choose this option, and start at the northern end of the Malecon, where would be the best place to ask the taxi driver to drop me off?

I know Hank walks that stretch daily, so he can give you more information. It will be a long walk, most of the time along a busy road, not all sidewalks are even. Of course you can also make the walk over the beach, you will have to cross Rio Pitillal which sometimes is a problem due to high level and strong current.

In case you want to do the part walk, take a cab or bus to Hotel Rosita.

You can find some food maps on this site: https://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-hotel-zone/

and move down to following maps. 

20 hours ago, Ine said:

I know Hank walks that stretch daily, so he can give you more information. It will be a long walk, most of the time along a busy road, not all sidewalks are even. Of course you can also make the walk over the beach, you will have to cross Rio Pitillal which sometimes is a problem due to high level and strong current.

In case you want to do the part walk, take a cab or bus to Hotel Rosita.

You can find some food maps on this site: https://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-hotel-zone/

and move down to following maps. 

Thanks Ine. The maps were especially helpful. 

• Like 1

In addition to distance, heat may be a factor as well.  I like @Ine's suggestion of taking a cab or bus.  My preference would be to take the bus.  The driver will tell you if the bus is heading to the "zona romantica" as I believe some of the buses may bypass that area and head east.  The PV experts woul;d know for sure.

14 hours ago, SelectSys said:

In addition to distance, heat may be a factor as well.  I like @Ine's suggestion of taking a cab or bus.  My preference would be to take the bus.  The driver will tell you if the bus is heading to the "zona romantica" as I believe some of the buses may bypass that area and head east.  The PV experts woul;d know for sure.

I will probably take a cab although the heat wouldn’t bother me. I often go hiking when it’s in the 90s. I just keep hydrated and keep going. 

Not all buses are able to go to Zona Romantica because of the hurricane and damage to some of the bridges in centre town.    You may see a bus at the cruise terminal that has "Tunel" in the window and that bus can go downtown.  I think you would be better to take a taxi there and back because of issues with bridges not being rebuilt and Covid.  Not everyone is wearing masks and the buses can get packed.   I would leave them for the people who live there and be safe and take a taxi.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so slow to respond as we were actually out of the country (cruising).  But Ine is correct that I often walk between the Zona Romantica and the Marina (port) on a daily basis.  A fast walker can do that walk in about 1 to 1:15 minutes assuming they continue to walk at a fast pace and do not stop for good food, drink, etc.  There are sidewalks although construction projects might necessitate crossing the road at one or two places (not always easy if there is a lot of traffic).  The actual distance depends on your docking location (there are three piers) but is approximately 4 miles,

Given the situation with COVID and the limited time folks have on a port day I would suggest that using a taxi (or Uber) is a more reasonable alternative.  I am also now reticent to recommend using the public buses (we often use the buses when living in PV) because of the increased risk of COVID.  While we continue to routinely travel/cruise we also think it makes sense to minimize COVID risk when possible.

Hank

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Sorry to be so slow to respond as we were actually out of the country (cruising).  But Ine is correct that I often walk between the Zona Romantica and the Marina (port) on a daily basis.  A fast walker can do that walk in about 1 to 1:15 minutes assuming they continue to walk at a fast pace and do not stop for good food, drink, etc.  There are sidewalks although construction projects might necessitate crossing the road at one or two places (not always easy if there is a lot of traffic).  The actual distance depends on your docking location (there are three piers) but is approximately 4 miles,

Given the situation with COVID and the limited time folks have on a port day I would suggest that using a taxi (or Uber) is a more reasonable alternative.  I am also now reticent to recommend using the public buses (we often use the buses when living in PV) because of the increased risk of COVID.  While we continue to routinely travel/cruise we also think it makes sense to minimize COVID risk when possible.

Hank

We'll be there on a port stop mid January and just want to go from the ship to the Malecon and back.

We usually take the bus. So are you suggesting we not...if so how do we get there and back?

21 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We'll be there on a port stop mid January and just want to go from the ship to the Malecon and back.

We usually take the bus. So are you suggesting we not...if so how do we get there and back?

This reply was to the question how to walk from the cruise terminal to old town. Yes you can still take the bus, but due to construction on the collapsed bridge in old town most buses stop/turn around before getting to old town, some more or less just past the Sheraton Hotel. Check with the driver. . Only those (few) buses with Tunel in the window take a different route and go to old town. I am not sure of those buses leave from near the cruise terminal. 

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

As Ine said, the collapsed bridge does make taking a bus to the Zona Romantica (Old Town)  more difficult.  But my concern about bus use just reflects my own opinion on the situation vis-a-vis COVID.  The local buses are the primary means of transportation for locals, many of whom are not vaccinated.  While I am normally a big fan (and user) of the local buses we have been following a more cautious approach by using taxis and Uber.  Keep in mind that the local buses can often be crowded (standing room only) with folks not able to practice any kind of social distancing.  On the plus side the protocols do require everyone on buses to wear a mask.

Hank

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As Ine said, the collapsed bridge does make taking a bus to the Zona Romantica (Old Town)  more difficult.  But my concern about bus use just reflects my own opinion on the situation vis-a-vis COVID.  The local buses are the primary means of transportation for locals, many of whom are not vaccinated.  While I am normally a big fan (and user) of the local buses we have been following a more cautious approach by using taxis and Uber.  Keep in mind that the local buses can often be crowded (standing room only) with folks not able to practice any kind of social distancing.  On the plus side the protocols do require everyone on buses to wear a mask.

Hank

So I'll be able to get a taxi easily there (Malacon) and back..our ship docks across from the big Walmart.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

So I'll be able to get a taxi easily there (Malacon) and back..our ship docks across from the big Walmart.

So we need to explain the situation since going and coming are different.  To get from your ship to the Malecon by taxi you have two choices.  You can simply use one of the taxis inside the port which have a federal franchise and charge by the person.  These taxis cannot pick up return fares so they tend to charge a little more but are convenient.  You can also walk out of the port area and simply find a local taxi (they are either yellow or white) which charge by the taxi (not by the person).  If using a local taxi always ask and agree to the fare before you get in since some will try to rip off cruisers.  There are actually fixed zone fares but many taxis do not follow the guidelines.  I am not sure of the current fare from the Marina area but it should be less than $10 (US).  Taxi drivers will accept US dollars but paying in Pesos should get you a better deal.  Depending on your actually docking position, there are various places to find taxis outside the port but it is usually easy.  You can always find a taxi across the road at Walmart/Sams but normally you would not need to go that far.

From town it is much easier since you can only use the local taxis or you could also try to summon an Uber car (using the app).  There are actually many taxi stands in town and you will see taxis parked at these locations.  Sometimes you can simply get one off the street but the taxi stands are best.  If you do not see a nearby taxi stand just ask any gringo or person working in a shop.  Just tell the taxi driver you want to go to the cruise port ("Porto") and agree on a price.  

While the port (locals often call it the Marina although there are actually other marinas that have boats) is across the road from a shopping center/mall (Sams, Walmart, Liverpool, etc) there are actually 3 different docking locations with their own exits from the port.  So while the three piers are adjacent to each other and within the same port facility, where you would walk out of the port will put you in various positions vis-a-vis Walmart.   This is a very populated area so there are always taxis and local buses nearby...not to mention Walmart and Sams which are popular with some cruisers (and many crew) for shopping.

There are a few simple things to know about Puerto Vallarta.  It is a friendly tourist town and quite safe but some vendors (especially taxis) have their own pricing :(.  There are the prices charged to Mexicans and very knowledgeable local gringos, gringo pricing, and prices charged if they think you came off a cruise ship.  As you can imagine, some taxi drivers will try to overcharge cruisers but at worst you are talking about a few dollars.   Your English will usually work fine with taxis and most folks who work in shops/restaurants.  A taxi to "Centro" should be less money then going a little further to the Zona Romantica (Old Town).  If you really like walking just have a taxi drop you by the Rosita Hotel (at the Northern end of the Malecon) and then you can walk along the Malecon and eventually reach the Old Town.  If you prefer a location closer to the center of the Malecon ask them to drop you by the Cathedral ( a nice place to visit) from where it is a short walk to the Malecon.

As Ine posted, one of the two bridges that connect Centro to the Zona Romantica was destroyed by a recent flood.  With only one vehicle bridge now connecting the two sides of town there is bound to be traffic delays.  So the idea of being dropped in Centro and then walking to the Zona Romantica will not only save you a few dollars but will also save you some time.

By the way, perhaps I should explain that the Zona Romantica (which means Romantic Zone) is also known as Viejo Vallarta (Old Town) and also referred to as the "Southside" by some expats.  It is separated from "Centro" by a small river called the Rio Cujale.  If you walk along the Malecon the two parts of town are connected by a pedestrian bridge that spans the small river.  In the middle of the river there is a narrow island which has some restaurants and shopping.

Hank

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all your info. We have cruised the Mexican Riviera to these ports many times starting in the early 1990's. Just want to make sure things haven't changed that much since our last cruise there. Again thank you.

On 12/21/2021 at 6:50 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Thanks for your reply. Although I regularly walk 3-4 miles several times a week, I have decided to take a taxi to the Malecon and then walk from there. Several years ago I walked from the cruise terminal to the Malecon, but I didn’t continue to Zona Romantica.  Returning I rode the bus.  If this was pre-Covid I would use the bus system, but I think I will be more at ease with a taxi. 

• 2 weeks later...

The spend our winters in Puerto Vallarta.   There is  a taxi driver that we find particularly good and would recommend him if you need a Toyota Avanza (an SUV) with room for  at least 4 people and luggage or mobility scooter etc.   His name is Bernardo and he speaks English very well.  His cell phone # is 322-157-4661.  He could pick you up at the port and drive you around or just  bring you to Romanic Zone etc.

Yesterday we were in Puerto Vallarta.  Although my plan was to take a taxi to the Malecon , I got up early, had breakfast, and then decided to walk because it was such a beautiful day. I’m glad I made that decision because I really enjoyed the walk and the nice weather. 

I actually arrived early for my spa appointment at Acqua Spa, and sat on a bench outside until they opened.  After the massage I felt so invigorated that I decided to walk part of the way back and ended up walking the entire way. 

I walk almost every day, but usually 3-4 miles. Having turned 70 on this cruise, it was good to know that I can still do 8 miles without wearing myself out. However, after returning to the ship, I took the elevator rather than the stairs!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Now that we are again comfy in our winter home I thought it appropriate to give an update to our cruising compadres.  The good news is that nearly a mile of road and sidewalk construction, which is part of the route between the port and town (Centro), has been completed.  What this means is that those who walk between the port and town will find pretty decent sidewalks nearly the entire way (there is one short (perhaps 50 feet) dirt path exception on the town side of the Sheraton.  When exiting the port to the main road (you will  see a shopping mall, Walmart and Sams across this road) you only need to turn right and start walking along the walkway on the west side (seaside) of the road.

As to taxis and Uber (this exists here) the prices are somewhat higher then last year.  If you get a regular yellow taxi (which might be white) from outside the port you should be able to negotiate a fare in the 130-150 peso range ($6.50 - $7.50) into town.  That is the cost for the entire taxi which will usually carry 3-4.  Tipping is up to you but when a driver is nice to us we like to be nice to the driver :).  Uber is also an option (you need the app) and in Mexico you can change the settings to either use your usual credit card or cash.

As to town, things are surprisingly normal with very few COVID restrictions other then mask requirements when indoors (until you are seated).  In the past week we have heard little talk about COVID as folks are too busy relaxing, drinking, eating, sitting on the beach, etc.  Los Muertos Beach (this is what is in the Old Town/Romantic Zone is nicer this year then we have seen in several years.  The storms and flooding have been good to the beach which seems wider and cleaner.   As a long time fan of this city we hope folks come here and enjoy the community.   We first came here on a cruise over thirty years ago and the result is we call this place our home for part of the year.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, klfhngr said:

I'll keep it simple: Too far to walk!

We must agree...too far for us also. We're leaving on Monday for our Mexican Riviera cruise and even though we've been there many times even when we were younger we always used transportation in Puerto Vallarta.

• Like 1

Thx to all the “locals” who posted above. We walked yesterday from the cruise port to Old Town in ~1.5 hrs, with a couple stops on the way (Starbucks for restroom & bank for pesos). It’s a pretty easy, flat walk and a well traveled route, full of gringos & felt quite safe. The ambiance gets better with entry into Centro & even better after crossing the bridge into Old Town. Old Town is a great place to just walk around, grab a meal or sit under a beach umbrella with a cold drink. We flagged a taxi for the return trip, easy to do at taxi stand (there are signs); agreed on 200 Pesos and off we went. I suggest you say “puerto de cruceros” so you’re not mistakenly taken to the “aero Puerto” which sounds very much like “puerto” and is just beyond the cruise port. 

Edited by CorgiCruzr
  • Like 2