Puerto Rico Bag Storage

Punnymaker

I'm sailing on the Epic next week, ending in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  My flight home isn't until 5:30pm, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with my luggage while I explore Puerto Rico for the day (the NCL excursions in PR are sold out and I wouldn't really be interested in them even if they weren't).  Does anyone know of any place (either near the port or in Old San Juan) that stores bags?

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Take the NCL shuttle to the airport, check your bags with your airline, then go and explore as desired.  We did this in Hawaii years ago when we had all day to visit Pearl Harbor.

Not all airports are set up to store luggage for a day and won't accept luggage more than about 4 hours prior to your flight.  So definitely need to check with the air line.

Barrachina restaurant has offered free luggage storage for many years. It's still listed on their website at https://www.barrachina.com/index.html#servicios but I'd suggest calling them in advance to ask if they're still doing it. I believe it's customary to offer a gratuity when you retrieve your bags, but I've never actually stored anything there so I'm not 100% certain.

1 hour ago, jkneern said:

There used to be a place directly across from the port.  We used it last time we were there.

It was well known by the porters who directed us when we got off the ship.

Yes, it was a hotel. We used it when we were in the same situation. Of course, that was pre-covid, so who knows now.

Leave the ship. Cross the street, and it was a few steps to the left.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, it was a hotel. We used it when we were in the same situation. Of course, that was pre-covid, so who knows now.

Leave the ship. Cross the street, and it was a few steps to the left.

If it was right across the street from the Old San Juan cruise piers it must nave been the Sheraton Old San Juan.

But if the OP is on the Epic, doesn't that ship use the Pan American cruise terminal on the other side of the harbor, not in Old San Juan? The Sheraton Puerto Rico is in that general area, but not directly across the street from the cruise terminal. 

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If it was right across the street from the Old San Juan cruise piers it must nave been the Sheraton Old San Juan.

But if the OP is on the Epic, doesn't that ship use the Pan American cruise terminal on the other side of the harbor, not in Old San Juan? The Sheraton Puerto Rico is in that general area, but not directly across the street from the cruise terminal. 

I don't know; our cruise was on a Carnival ship. And that is where the hotel that let you store your luggate for a  fee was. I did not realize there was more than one port in San Juan.

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I don't know; our cruise was on a Carnival ship. And that is where the hotel that let you store your luggate for a  fee was. I did not realize there was more than one port in San Juan.

Carnival would have docked in Old San Juan, so it had to be the Sheraton because that's the hotel directly across the street from the Old San Juan cruise piers.

While NCL port calls are normally made in Old San Juan, they typically use the Pan American cruise terminal for their San Juan cruise home port, so the OP's cruise will likely not be docking near the hotel where you stored your luggage.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Carnival would have docked in Old San Juan, so it had to be the Sheraton because that's the hotel directly across the street from the Old San Juan cruise piers.

While NCL port calls are normally made in Old San Juan, they typically use the Pan American cruise terminal for their San Juan cruise home port, so the OP's cruise will likely not be docking near the hotel where you stored your luggage.

Yes, having sailed on the Epic in the Western Mediterranean, I should have realized the dock we sailed from on Carnival in San Juan was much too small for the Epic.