Issue using curling irons/hair straighteners on Mardi Gras

cruisegirl1976

14 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Hello..

I read a review that stated a woman had issues using her curling iron in the cabin, that there wasn't enough power to use it?..the curling iron never warmed up for her, and it wasn't broken cause it worked fine when she got home.  Anyone else have this issue?

I had no problem at all with mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Hello..

I read a review that stated a woman had issues using her curling iron in the cabin, that there wasn't enough power to use it?..the curling iron never warmed up for her, and it wasn't broken cause it worked fine when she got home.  Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, I had that problem. My straightener worked but my wand did not. I did read some had luck turning it down to a lower setting, but that was after I returned home. 

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Hello..

Yes, happened to me.  I was very upset on formal night.  May have overreacted, but there were tears 😂. This was on the Vista.

Edited by hayesktrm
Added
  • Like 3

I never ran into any issues either, but I was considering booking the special where they style your hair 3 times.   Have you, or anyone you know paid for the one where they wash, style dry and add the celebrity look or the package of 3 shampoo and styles?   

I was part of another thread that discussed this problem, and it appears that the newer ceramic curling irons/straighteners are the culprit.  The semi-conductors that generate the heat in these ceramic irons require the neutral and ground to be at the same potential, which they are not on ships.  I've heard of problems with Dyson hair care products as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I was part of another thread that discussed this problem, and it appears that the newer ceramic curling irons/straighteners are the culprit.  The semi-conductors that generate the heat in these ceramic irons require the neutral and ground to be at the same potential, which they are not on ships.  I've heard of problems with Dyson hair care products as well.

oh wow..ok.. good to know.  I use a hair straightener everyday , so thinking how I can get around this..

7 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

oh wow..ok.. good to know.  I use a hair straightener everyday , so thinking how I can get around this..

Being an old, balding guy, I don't have much experience with hair straighteners, and I don't know if they make the old wire heating element type straighteners anymore, but I think the "titanium" products use a metallic heating element, not the semi-conductor ceramic that causes the problems with ship's wiring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Being an old, balding guy, I don't have much experience with hair straighteners, and I don't know if they make the old wire heating element type straighteners anymore, but I think the "titanium" products use a metallic heating element, not the semi-conductor ceramic that causes the problems with ship's wiring.

I'm sure I will figure something out.. hats always work..lol

On 12/1/2021 at 7:28 AM, cruisegirl1976 said:

Hello..

I have heard of this, but haven't received a clear answer to why.  I use a hair straightener because my hair gets downright scary in humidity! 😨  We just came off the Mardi Gras and I took four (count them 4!) different hair irons onboard.  My preferred one worked all week.  I don't know why, but happy about it.  Just beware that this could be a problem and bring a different type as a backup.   

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 6:02 PM, RoperDK said:

I have heard of this, but haven't received a clear answer to why.  I use a hair straightener because my hair gets downright scary in humidity! 😨  We just came off the Mardi Gras and I took four (count them 4!) different hair irons onboard.  My preferred one worked all week.  I don't know why, but happy about it.  Just beware that this could be a problem and bring a different type as a backup.   

May I ask what your preferred one is that worked?

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

May I ask what your preferred one is that worked?

It was a Revlon Ceramic straightener.  I bought it at Walmart for around $35.  I bought it because it has a regular plug, not one of the wide ones with the reset buttons.  I figured it would plug in easier on the ship at the desk.  It was dual voltage.  My other was an expensive Chi which I never used.  I had heard that there had been problems with the more expensive ones.  The other 2 were very small travel types, that would have been hard to use to style my longer hair.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RoperDK said:

It was a Revlon Ceramic straightener.  I bought it at Walmart for around $35.  I bought it because it has a regular plug, not one of the wide ones with the reset buttons.  I figured it would plug in easier on the ship at the desk.  It was dual voltage.  My other was an expensive Chi which I never used.  I had heard that there had been problems with the more expensive ones.  The other 2 were very small travel types, that would have been hard to use to style my longer hair.   

Great to know.. thank you !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCBarker said:

Anybody know the difference in the bathroom and desk outlet? The bathroom outlet always specifies use for just electric razors. Is it lower amperage or something?

Yes, it is limited to 0.02 amps (20 milliamps), or 2.5 watts.  Razors, electric toothbrushes only.  Most also are only powered when the bathroom light is on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if this problem occurs on the older ships more frequently.

I had this issue with my mid-price straightener on another cruise line.  It worked fine at home. Booked on Liberty in February (and Apex in January) need to find a solution.  

🙄🗺😎

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, true45 said:

I wonder if this problem occurs on the older ships more frequently.

I had this issue with my mid-price straightener on another cruise line.  It worked fine at home. Booked on Liberty in February (and Apex in January) need to find a solution.  

🙄🗺😎

The electrical systems on ships does not vary with older or newer, and it is a factor of the design of maritime electrical systems that causes the problems.

• Thanks 1