Main dining room reservations

emckeeve

2 hours ago, emckeeve said:

Are reservations needed in the main dining room or is it mostly just walk in?

No Reservations!

Not knowing you, let’s explain what that can mean. We always ask for sharing in that we enjoy meeting and conversing with our fellow passengers. Getting seated is never an issue. The hostess seats us promptly.

However, some only want two tops and to eat alone. The number of those tables are set. Currently, with greatly reduced passenger capacities, those tables may be readily available. However, once ( hopefully soon) when capacities again near 100%, that won’t be the case. So if you decide to hit the GDR at 7:30, which is mid way through the early sitting, you will probably have a decision to make. Share, wait maybe 30-60 minutes for a two top, or head to the Terrace.

No Reservations! 

59 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

However, some only want two tops and to eat alone. The number of those tables are set. Currently, with greatly reduced passenger capacities, those tables may be readily available.

Or, as someone theorized in a different thread, the availability of two-tops may be reduced because people who ordinarily choose to dine with others now prefer not to do so -- all due to Covid.  We shall see....

Social distancing? On our recent Marina cruise there was lot of social distancing in the elevators and in the empty Grand Dining Room, but the specialty restaurants were completely full and basically no social distancing. I don't think there were any shared tables (tables put together with random diners) but there were many larger groups and of course lots of couples. I find social distancing is a nice marketing term but is applied however it is convenient for the business.

48 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Social distancing? On our recent Marina cruise there was lot of social distancing in the elevators and in the empty Grand Dining Room, but the specialty restaurants were completely full and basically no social distancing. I don't think there were any shared tables (tables put together with random diners) but there were many larger groups and of course lots of couples. I find social distancing is a nice marketing term but is applied however it is convenient for the business.

I will be eating in the emptier GDR and in my penthouse for Specialities then in March (Covid willing).

1 hour ago, lorimay said:

Ditto on Celebrity Edge's first "post"-pandemic cruise last June. Less than 1/4 of usual guests but stuffed shoulder to shoulder into the smaller restaurants--including the suites-only one. Mind boggling in light of all their safety-at-sea protocols...

Edited by sofietucker

Just now, lorimay said:

We were also on Marina embarking in Trieste and sailing to Miami.....on the first segment of the cruise, the specialty restaurants has removed tables so not too close together and on the second segment when at Sea they added a few tables but still not every table was full....we never felt cheek to jowel in the specialty restaurants.  When we ate in the GDR for dinner, the tables were the same distance apart and mostly full.   On the entire cruise we felt very safe with all of the testing, masking and social distancing...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pinotlover said:

No Reservations!

Not knowing you, let’s explain what that can mean. We always ask for sharing in that we enjoy meeting and conversing with our fellow passengers. Getting seated is never an issue. The hostess seats us promptly.

However, some only want two tops and to eat alone. The number of those tables are set. Currently, with greatly reduced passenger capacities, those tables may be readily available. However, once ( hopefully soon) when capacities again near 100%, that won’t be the case. So if you decide to hit the GDR at 7:30, which is mid way through the early sitting, you will probably have a decision to make. Share, wait maybe 30-60 minutes for a two top, or head to the Terrace.

No Reservations! 

We always like to share and meet new people, but I forgot about the times we live in.  Maybe sharing is NOT a good idea.  Not sure at what capacity our January 4 cruise will be.