Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

3 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I am sorry to hear that.  I hope you guys can board soon, it must be stressful waiting around not knowing.  I hope everyone there is taking this in stride given how fluid the situation is.

Its lack of communication thats the issue it seems.  let ppl know whats going on and what time you an ticipate this resolved by , provide snacks and water even.  

• Like 3

Hoping you guys get on and out of there today. 

Was on the 10/31 Breakaway, last out of NYC and boarding was a mess. Did the BS Bermuda test and had to hire a $200 PCR test to get 24 hour results (for both of us) 

Then when we arrived at the pier they diverted us into a completely different pier with two lines that spanned the entire area, took 3 hours+

Finally after our tests were cleared we were allowed to go to the other Pier with the ship and start the process. 

With no breakout cases, we left around 7-8pm. I'm guessing the ship needs a good cleandown and that's why boarding is delayed. Happened once or twice years past when there was norovirus outbreaks on board.

Fingers crossed for y'all  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Nope. Some passengers were feeling unwell and were tested. Close contacts are tested. 10 passengers and crew were positive. Royal had 6 passengers on a couple of cruises and didn’t miss a beat on the next cruises. 

This is why we should do more testing of vaccinated people. They feel “safe” while spreading the virus. Greater than 10 people are walking proof of this. 

I can't speak for all vaccinated people (obviously) only myself ☺️ but I am very aware that there are breakthrough cases of Covid affecting vaccinated people. I don't feel safe from Covid. The only thing I feel safer about is IF I get it, chances are that I won't get a case bad enough to hospitalize me. I'm still very cautious. In fact, just got back from the store and I was masked when I went in. I always test when warranted...for instance, after my cruise in January I will for sure test a few days after my return and will not see anyone until I come up clean. I don't know if other people are this cautious, but I have grandchildren and I could never forgive myself if I made them even slightly ill.

I'm thrilled NCL has a vaccine mandate and it's the only reason I have cruises booked. If there was no mandate, I wouldn't. If there was no mandate, there likely would be far more than 10 people testing positive on any given cruise.

To your point about more testing...I wonder how that would work? Would you want testing every couple days? After each port stop? I'm just curious what you think would work.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

What is NCL's policy for those that test positive on board?

Celebrity has the following provision -- wonder if NCL has something similar

Please refer to the NCL page vs celebrity page. 

If you can prove that you tested negative before check in, you will receive support. Otherwise you’ll be on the curb dealing with the Louisiana Health Department. You are not allowed to take any public transportation until you complete quarantine.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, missnd said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily true.  I had a family member exposed on a Tuesday and was tested daily.  They did not test positive until Saturday.  Someone could have easily been exposed at home or on the plane or any number of places prior to embarkment and could have still tested negative and been allowed to board.

This is very accurate.

• Like 4

I’m on board the Breakaway. Since my husband and I are b2b, we were tested yesterday morning along with about 20 other b2b passengers. We were informed that we would get our red wristbands delivered to our cabin! 

Around 11am yesterday, NCL began testing everyone on board. Apparently required by CDC. 

we are still on the ship with very few passengers…… 

we have not been told what is happening… 

so we are enjoying an empty ship!! 

the crew has been very careful with mask and hand washing! 

will try to report later if I can

i still feel safe! 

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Its lack of communication thats the issue it seems.  let ppl know whats going on and what time you an ticipate this resolved by , provide snacks and water even.  

Seems like everyone got communications. Yes??? Despite being told of the delay, folks are still piling in. There is no “lack of communication”. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cpqq said:

Hoping you guys get on and out of there today. 

Was on the 10/31 Breakaway, last out of NYC and boarding was a mess. Did the BS Bermuda test and had to hire a $200 PCR test to get 24 hour results (for both of us) 

Then when we arrived at the pier they diverted us into a completely different pier with two lines that spanned the entire area, took 3 hours+

Finally after our tests were cleared we were allowed to go to the other Pier with the ship and start the process. 

With no breakout cases, we left around 7-8pm. I'm guessing the ship needs a good cleandown and that's why boarding is delayed. Happened once or twice years past when there was norovirus outbreaks on board.

Fingers crossed for y'all  

this is what i am afraid of on the Gem out of NYC thursday ppl posted insane line and a mess on social media.   NCL needs to get things organized if Carnival can do it so can they. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

this is what i am afraid of on the Gem out of NYC thursday ppl posted insane line and a mess on social media.   NCL needs to get things organized if Carnival can do it so can they. 

If people would listen to what they are told and actually do it, there would be a whole lot less confusion. Get a text saying come two hours late and decide I want to go early and see what happens =  a mess!

Edited by peg013
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, peg013 said:

If people would listen to what they are told and actually do it, there would be a whole lot less confusion. Get a text saying come two hours late and decide I want to go early and see what happens =  a mess!

sometimes rides are booked  and drop off times arranged and changing that time is not possible last min. 

• Like 3

Just now, seaman11 said:

sometimes rides are booked  and drop off times arranged and changing that time is not possible last min. 

Exactly.  There is also hotel check-out times that have to be adhered to.  It's an unfortunate situation. 

Plus, I imagine that boarding is also delayed while the crew is also tested, as well as extra deep cleaning protocols instituted.  Most likely the ship and public health officials are working out a new/updated plan to make sure this 12/5/2021 cruise doesn't have an outbreak (think mandatory masks, limiting the number of passengers in restaurants, bars, dining rooms, etc).  No one wants a repeat of the Crown Princess.

• Like 3

It is different when you are driving in or live close to the port.  When you are flying in with pre arranged transfers you have no option but to stick with the plan.  It is not easy to change your pre booked pre paid ride the day of.  If you are coming in via Uber then perhaps you can wait in the lobby of the hotel / arrival area but even that can be difficult.  Need a good attitude and remain calm and non confrontational and remember that it is not something that NCL want to happen, it happened and they are dealing with it good bad and ugly.

• Like 5

3 hours and still nothing. I don't feel like they're communicating at all. They keep announcing that they're in the process of testing everyone before they leave the boat, we know that's not what's happening because they tested everyone in this terminal and the results came in 15 minutes or less.

Also people doing b2b are on right now saying the boat is empty. There doesn't appear to be some mass of people still waiting to get off.

It's so hot now and there's no where to go cool off. 

Would be nice to know how long whatever they're doing is expected to take, are we here 15 minutes, hours, days. No one knows.

It's 3 hours past when they said to get here, and no sign of boarding anytime soon

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Juncti said:

3 hours and still nothing. I don't feel like they're communicating at all. They keep announcing that they're in the process of testing everyone before they leave the boat, we know that's not what's happening because they tested everyone in this terminal and the results came in 15 minutes or less.

Also people doing b2b are on right now saying the boat is empty. There doesn't appear to be some mass of people still waiting to get off.

It's so hot now and there's no where to go cool off. 

Would be nice to know how long whatever they're doing is expected to take, are we here 15 minutes, hours, days. No one knows.

It's 3 hours past when they said to get here, and no sign of boarding anytime soon

Thank you for the update!  I am so sorry to hear that this is happening to you guys!!!  It’s terrible that you can leave the terminal.  I would be so tempted to grab some beignets from Cafe DuMonde at the outlet.

• Like 1

They are no longer letting folks into the cruise terminal due to capacity restrictions.

We've made it through our CV testing at the Marriott and are sitting on the Riverwalk enjoying a cocktail and waiting for some sign they are letting folks on.

Much rather be here than packed inside the terminal!

Edited by ShowMeCruise
  • Like 10

Just now, Summerstravel said:

I feel so bad for everyone I will be taking this cruise in April. I hope this clears up quickly for all involved. Please keep us updated. 

I am on in April as well. Flying in is our biggest issue. We will not be able to self isolate if the small chance we test positive for covid. We would have to be able to rent a car to make the 13 hour drive home.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Is it possible that NCL and CDC can not agree on a health and safety protocol for the voyage? 

Or they are trying to figure how to implement them.  There are probably crew / teams meetings happening.  I think this is the first time during the start-up 2021 season that we (the US) have had to deal with this situation - and the wildcard is whether it might be the Omicron variant - and what would that mean for all of us collectively (from a public health perspective). 

• Like 1

If this goes on unresolved much longer, then there could be changes to the existing plan ....

The Temporary Extension & Modification of the CSO shall remain in effect until the earliest of

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency;
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or
  • January 15, 2022 at 12:01 am EDT.

After the expiration of the Temporary Extension & Modification of the CSO, CDC intends to transition to a voluntary program, in coordination with cruise ship operators and other stakeholders, to assist the cruise ship industry to detect, mitigate, and control the spread of COVID-19 onboard cruise ships.

• Like 1

Just now, Ferry_Watcher said:

Or they are trying to figure how to implement them.  There are probably crew / teams meetings happening.  I think this is the first time during the start-up 2021 season that we (the US) have had to deal with this situation - and the wildcard is whether it might be the Omicron variant - and what would that mean for all of us collectively (from a public health perspective). 

It's not the first time. I think cdc reported over 450 positive cases. Carnival vista had more than 10 cases, and because some were crew and stayed on the next cruise in isolation I think that added to the hysteria. You could google carnival vista was it 21 total? 

Deep cleaning, the isolation area set up for the b2b, could be any reason for a extra hour delay boarding. I was on the breeze 4 hours late because we did a rescue the night before we returned. Still time to board. Try and not stir things up. Just gives fodder to the news. Most of want cruises to co tune, this isnt the first time, just maybe ncl biggest number of cases. Jewel ots had cases a few weeks ago. The important thing is protocols and keeping it under control. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I am on in April as well. Flying in is our biggest issue. We will not be able to self isolate if the small chance we test positive for covid. We would have to be able to rent a car to make the 13 hour drive home.

I thought you could only travel with a personal vehicle. Yes flying is a big issue for me as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paf910 said:

Just curious Sheila77. Did NCL keep the B2B passengers on the ship? Or did they have you walk off and then back onboard? Hubby and I doing B2B January 23

The b2b's are still on board.

You can see a few of them occasionally walking on the ship from the Riverwalk.

The luggage is still sitting on the pier and not being onboarded so obviously we won't be leaving for a while still.

• Like 3