Easter Island in 2022 .?

WEBCAN

Maybe not next year but keep an eye on Ponant.  There have been cruises that have ended and started at Hanga Roa (certainly in 2019).

Be aware that there is no protected harbour (for anything larger than a very small trawler) and all landings will have to be by tender or inflatables, and landing at all may not be guaranteed on a stop.

If you want to make sure to visit, fly as suggested.  The flight from Santiago to Hanga Roa (SCL - IPC) is probably the longest overwater flight w/o any diversions in the world.  If the aircraft can't land in Hanga Roa, the closest alternative airport is... Santiago where it may well have/probably did come from.  My wife and I visited after getting off the Zaandam 7 years ago.  Didn't meet any pax from our cruise there.

Edited by cruising cockroach

5 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

The flight from Santiago to Hanga Roa (SCL - IPC) is probably the longest overwater flight w/o any diversions in the world.

Not even close.  That flight is 5 hours and 10 minutes.  Sydney to LA is 14 hours and 50 minutes.  Seattle to Tokyo is 10 hours, 45 minutes.  Just a few examples.

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not even close.  That flight is 5 hours and 10 minutes.  Sydney to LA is 14 hours and 50 minutes.  Seattle to Tokyo is 10 hours, 45 minutes.  Just a few examples.

Chief, I believe that the poster is talking about the longest overwater flight without a possible diversion to another airport, not the longest flight in total. The examples you gave have airports en route to which an aircraft could be diverted if necessary.

I'm no expert in aviation and great circle routes but I have seen sources that cite the Santiago to Hanga Roa route as being the longest without a possible diversion.

45 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Chief, I believe that the poster is talking about the longest overwater flight without a possible diversion to another airport, not the longest flight in total. The examples you gave have airports en route to which an aircraft could be diverted if necessary.

I'm no expert in aviation and great circle routes but I have seen sources that cite the Santiago to Hanga Roa route as being the longest without a possible diversion.

Okay, going that route, it may have been at one time.  Quantas operates a Sydney to Santiago flight.  This does stop in Auckland, so let's look at Auckland to Santiago, which is 6011 miles.  The only diversion airport is Tahiti, which is 2542 miles away, so even though there is a diversion available, it is further away than the Santiago/Easter Island flight, and that is not considering the second half of the flight, 3006 miles.