Tipping for drinks and food

49 minutes ago, joge107 said:

So, quick question.  Let's pretend that you're having dinner at a decent restaurant anywhere in (the formally) United States, do you prefer to use a $2.00 bill or 2 singles?

Formally OR formerly 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think the the point being made has less to do with final cost but more that, in the first case, service is being rewarded that has not been provided. At least that is my interpretation but I could be wrong. However, that certainly seems better to me than signing receipts on the ship and having gratuities then charged to a seapass account.

Thanks Ocean Boy.  I guess that makes sense.  I still think it's splitting hairs a bit but that's just me.  

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

BTW I should have added a laughing emoji as I was totally joking.

No problem.  Actually, using incorrect spelling changed the meaning of my attempt at humor.  Now, to the point; I believe that our United States are not so United at the present time.  I just felt that the poster who I responded to was trying to justify being a stiff with a socioeconomic argument about corporate greed.  Doesn't work for me,but probably, many think I'm jerk.  About 1/2 the people I interact with must have the same thoughts.  Thus, formerly United, at least in demeanor and disposition.  So,  I'm going to tip extra and often; and will not be using either $2.00 bills or singles when I do so.

My son worked one summer as an attendant at a private country club. He would take drink orders and return them to members, along with a receipt for the order, that included an 18% service charge. He did not get one dime from the charge. Sometimes he would get an additional tip. From that experience, he and I tip extra when a service charge is added to the bill,  including our recent Thanksgiving cruise on the Indy.

For drink orders, we just added an additional tip to the bill. Near the end of the cruise, we were provided with envelopes in our staterooms for optional monetary recognition. We bypassed the "recognition" box at the service desk and handed the cash-filled envelopes to our room attendants and three other workers who we go to know that provided us with stellar service, which made our cruise more enjoyable.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:34 PM, brillohead said:

All I know is that even during The Before Times, people with a drink package were still often brought a "zero bill" receipt to sign (so they could add an additional tip).  

I have NEVER gotten a zero bill receipt with a drink package. Just hand them the cards to swipe, get cards and drinks back.

And for soda and water, no swipe, they just look and see the DX on the SeaPass and give it to you.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:03 PM, UNCFanatik said:

strawman 

it’s not a matter of affording gratuities, it’s a matter of adding them before service is even rendered.

AND the crew members are paid to do a job that they have agreed to. Cruise lines should pay staff more. That’s who you should be upset with instead of calling ppl names who have a different opinion 

And as a consumer, I am well within my rights to decide how i tip and do not need the cruise lines to charge me upfront 

Then the line will increase the fare.  They are NOT going to give money away.  

TANSTAAFL

On 12/9/2021 at 10:28 PM, UNCFanatik said:

The employer is responsible for paying employees not me as a consumer 

Hmm, it seems you have never been in business.  The consumer pays ALL the costs of the employer, plus profit.  Otherwise, the employer goes out of business.

So how do you feel about "resort fees?"  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:49 PM, Ptroxx said:

What would be nice if RC could actually tell cruisers where our gratuities go.   So who gets a cut?    

let’s say 2000 people on a cruise.(Covid#)

If everyone paid their gratuities thats 250,000.  give or take.  
who gets a piece of that?   What %.  
so secretive.  Lol 

either way I still tip on top of what I pay.    

It used to be on the RCI site.  You can still find screen captures of it here on CC.

It is divided between the servers and the room attendants and the behind the scenes (bus persons, laundry, etc.).  

It all goes to the employees.

Current FAQ - "As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience."

Here is the one from before:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/uploads/monthly_2019_09/1933110898_ScreenShot2019-09-20at9_45_49AM.thumb.png.c56edc9012649506d439d171af5f8bba.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

Hmm, it seems you have never been in business.  The consumer pays ALL the costs of the employer, plus profit.  Otherwise, the employer goes out of business.

So how do you feel about "resort fees?"  

Only in the Service Industry is the customer implicitly asked to supplement workers below minimum wage jobs. The service industry shouldnt be allowed to pay below minimum wage in the US. I agree. Raise prices and the net effect in cost to consumer will be the same. Its called the cost of doing business. Other non-service companies cannot get away with paying employees below minimum wage. They bake the cost of their labor and materials into the cost of the product. 

In the US, we have people that believe that even if they receive bad service at a restaurant that they are obligated to tip 15-20%. Notice that the % of tipping keeps rising. This is wrong. Just like its wrong to advertise a drink on the ship as $13 and then automatically add a 18% gratuity. Why not just charge $15.34 for the drink and be done with it without the games on gratuities. If I walk up and order a beer and the bartender just has to reach in cooler and hand me a beer, does that REALLY warrant an automatic 18% gratuity? 

I feel the same way about resort fees. I feel they should be included in advertised price of hotels. I think they are a deceptive practice. 

And its not clear to first time cruisers that they will be automatically charged gratuities on their account daily nor do they realize that they can remove these. Also, its deceptive to leave enveloped in Cabins last night soliciting even more gratuity beyond the standard gratuity that is charged daily

• Like 1

Just now, UNCFanatik said:

Only in the Service Industry is the customer implicitly asked to supplement workers below minimum wage jobs. The service industry shouldnt be allowed to pay below minimum wage in the US. I agree. Raise prices and the net effect in cost to consumer will be the same. Its called the cost of doing business. Other non-service companies cannot get away with paying employees below minimum wage. They bake the cost of their labor and materials into the cost of the product. 

In the US, we have people that believe that even if they receive bad service at a restaurant that they are obligated to tip 15-20%. Notice that the % of tipping keeps rising. This is wrong. Just like its wrong to advertise a drink on the ship as $13 and then automatically add a 18% gratuity. Why not just charge $15.34 for the drink and be done with it without the games on gratuities. If I walk up and order a beer and the bartender just has to reach in cooler and hand me a beer, does that REALLY warrant an automatic 18% gratuity? 

I feel the same way about resort fees. I feel they should be included in advertised price of hotels. I think they are a deceptive practice. 

And its not clear to first time cruisers that they will be automatically charged gratuities on their account daily nor do they realize that they can remove these. Also, its deceptive to leave enveloped in Cabins last night soliciting even more gratuity beyond the standard gratuity that is charged daily

Then sail on other lines.  They have no tipping.

Of course, their fares are higher.

It doesn't matter, you still pay the cost of paying the people the full amount they earn.

Also, you need to move to Denmark where if you tip you may get yelled at by the server.  They pay their servers a full wage.  Of course, lunch can cost $60 for one person.  But no tip accepted.

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

Then sail on other lines.  They have no tipping.

Of course, their fares are higher.

It doesn't matter, you still pay the cost of paying the people the full amount they earn.

Also, you need to move to Denmark where if you tip you may get yelled at by the server.  They pay their servers a full wage.  Of course, lunch can cost $60 for one person.  But no tip accepted.

I have sailed on other lines. 

And I have the right to remove the daily gratuities as well and tip as I please. I dont trust the cruise lines to distribute these add on fees to their crew because of their already poor labor practices. I was recently on a 7 night cruise on Oasis with roughly 4000 passengers. I know suite guests are charged more for daily gratuity but if you just use the $14.50 baseline, thats mounts to over $400k of "gratuities" that Royal is trying to collect from passengers not to mention the auto gratuity on drinks . Thats called another stream of revenue coming out of the shutdown where the cruise lines are still bleeding cash. Excuse me if I do not trust Royal to make sure their crew gets a cut of over $400k when they are already exploitative with their crew members to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 3:32 AM, UNCFanatik said:

Why is your anger not directed at the cruise lines for not paying their crew properly? Why is it the consumers responsibility? 

You enable unfair labor practices by the cruise lines. Shame on you 

Oh, I have zero anger about tipping, zip, zilch, nada.  I very happily and willingly pay the gratuities and additional cash to many.  Removing the gratuities has never entered my mind.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Oh, I have zero anger about tipping, zip, zilch, nada.  I very happily and willingly pay the gratuities and additional cash to many.  Removing the gratuities has never entered my mind.  

Well your not cheap and think you can change the world by screwing someone out of their hard earned money. Lolol. 

so nice to see CC back to normal.      

just picked up a stack of 2.00 bills for my cruise in 47 days.  I’ll be making it rain on that ship.  Lolol.  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

And I have the right to remove the daily gratuities as well and tip as I please. I dont trust the cruise lines to distribute these add on fees to their crew because of their already poor labor practices. I was recently on a 7 night cruise on Oasis with roughly 4000 passengers. I know suite guests are charged more for daily gratuity but if you just use the $14.50 baseline, thats mounts to over $400k of "gratuities" that Royal is trying to collect from passengers not to mention the auto gratuity on drinks . Thats called another stream of revenue coming out of the shutdown where the cruise lines are still bleeding cash. Excuse me if I do not trust Royal to make sure their crew gets a cut of over $400k when they are already exploitative with their crew members to begin with. 

Have you heard of any reports of them not distributing all the grat money?

They EXPLICITLY state that ALL the money for grats goes to the crew.  And that there is NO administrative fee or hold back.

23 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

And you have no issue with patronizing, and supporting, a company that is engaging in this type of practice?

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

Have you heard of any reports of them not distributing all the grat money?

They EXPLICITLY state that ALL the money for grats goes to the crew.  And that there is NO administrative fee or hold back.

How would anyone know? How would the crew know? 

They can state all they want but there is no assurance other than the word of the company who exploits workers to begin with. They have ZERO accountability in this area. 

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And you have no issue with patronizing, and supporting, a company that is engaging in this type of practice?

As much issue as anyone does in every area of life when purchasing goods from any company. 

Its a mixed bag. I can recognize that Royal hires crew and provides them with employment opportunities that they might not have otherwise in their home countries while ALSO recognize that Royal hiring from these countries is because they can pay lower wages. Which leads to exploitation and unfair wages to the crew. 

But its the same with any company I buy goods and services from. AND my role as a consumer is not to be expected to supplement workers wages through gratuities, especially gratuities that I cannot remove and prepay for service yet to be rendered. 

AND to all the people that would criticize my position and feel that because the crew is underpaid that it is somehow the passengers responsibility to fix it, I would say that I bet that you could care less about the goods you buy from China who engages in a whole litany of Human Rights abuses to their workers and feel no such obligation to them