Tipping for drinks and food

54 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I have never had a restaurant charge me a set amount of gratuity before I even sat down for dinner and received service. 

Royal doesn’t either.  You only pay it at the end of the cruise when they settle your account.  So technically you haven’t paid for anything on your onboard account until the end of the cruise.  You are free to request not to be billed for tips at any point before the last night and they will oblige that request with no questions asked.  So respectfully, they aren’t charging you ahead of time at all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Good on you, not.  The folks that do the sheets, towels, prep the food, stock the wine/beverages, clean the staircase rails, elevators, screw them.  Nice…

Exactly.  And all just to show Royal apparently. So screw the little guy to make a point to the fat corporate cats (Royal Corp).  As if that makes any sense.  

And if he had them follow his logic they would pay more and raise base cruise fare by about the amount of the tips.  So he would then pay what he should’ve paid before, essentially costing himself more money.  

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

Royal doesn’t either.  You only pay it at the end of the cruise when they settle your account.  So technically you haven’t paid for anything on your onboard account until the end of the cruise.  You are free to request not to be billed for tips at any point before the last night and they will oblige that request with no questions asked.  So respectfully, they aren’t charging you ahead of time at all.  

Well he said that’s the first thing he does is go to CS and have those charges removed.     

31 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

There are quite a few restaurants that add a REQUIRED tip to every bill.  Whether you see it before or after you eat, it is still REQUIRED.

And clubs.  My country club charges 20% on every food and drink bill.  Always. And you can’t elect to remove it. 

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Well he said that’s the first thing he does is go to CS and have those charges removed.     

Sad isn’t it.  But my recollection is they add the gratuity to the account by the day.   So doing this on day one isn’t really removing a charge for days 2-7 because they haven’t even been added yet.  Not to mention they don’t run it (process payment on each account) until the end of the cruise.  That is technically when you are paying for what you charged on your account.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

I have never had a restaurant charge me a set amount of gratuity before I even sat down for dinner and received service. 

This is a very common practice today. Non-removable gratuity. Which is totally o.k. with me. 

Edited by BirdTravels

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

Sad isn’t it.  But my recollection is they add the gratuity to the account by the day.   So doing this on day one isn’t really removing a charge for days 2-7 because they haven’t even been added yet.  Not to mention they don’t run it (process payment on each account) until the end of the cruise.  That is technically when you are paying for what you charged on your account.  

We prepaid gratuity. How is this shown by k your portfolio?

I don’t mind the automatic daily gratuity for the waitstaff/Stewart at all. In fact it seems like a great deal when you consider what we would leave for a tip at a regular restaurant, twice a day for week.

I have to admit, I really hate that they automatically add 18% to all drinks. 
Let’s be honest, one of the biggest reasons to tip the waitress walking around the pool  well Is to make sure she comes around often. The advantage we have in everyday life from tipping 18+% is gone because everyone is forced into it. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

That’s different.  But prepayment of gratuity is a choice, not automatically done or required.   Since it is a choice one has to elect to do, it seems clear the other guy doesn’t do it this way (given he requests tips not be charged on day one).  If you don’t prepay tips, it is added on to the portfolio balance daily.  

5 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

It doesn't show on your portfolio. Prepaid charges show on your reservation. The charges not showing on your portfolio tells you that the ship knows the gratuities were prepaid.

6 hours ago, topnole said:

When you buy a drink package on cruise planner, gratuity is added automatically and it shouldn’t be. 

6 hours ago, topnole said:

Exactly.  And all just to show Royal apparently. So screw the little guy to make a point to the fat corporate cats (Royal Corp).  As if that makes any sense.  

And if he had them follow his logic they would pay more and raise base cruise fare by about the amount of the tips.  So he would then pay what he should’ve paid before, essentially costing himself more money.  

Yes.. correct. I would rather the cruise lines stop the gratuity practice and pay their crew a higher base rate. You should want the same for the crew by your logic as well. 

By going along with the gratuity practice you enable Royal to get away with no paying their crew livable wages and exploiting certain people groups

7 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Good on you, not.  The folks that do the sheets, towels, prep the food, stock the wine/beverages, clean the staircase rails, elevators, screw them.  Nice…

Why is your anger not directed at the cruise lines for not paying their crew properly? Why is it the consumers responsibility? 

You enable unfair labor practices by the cruise lines. Shame on you 

13 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you cannot afford the gratuities, you can’t afford the cruise. Whether you like it or not, staff on most major cruise lines depend on gratuities. Crew members bust their butts to make sure passengers enjoy their cruise. Anyone who would remove gratuities is a POS in my book. If you don’t like the policy, you shouldn’t cruise. 

Your opinion matters not at all to me.

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

Yes.. correct. I would rather the cruise lines stop the gratuity practice and pay their crew a higher base rate. You should want the same for the crew by your logic as well. 

By going along with the gratuity practice you enable Royal to get away with no paying their crew livable wages and exploiting certain people groups

Im sure most of us want them to be paid what they make now which is why we tip them.  You, on the other hand,

take it out on them to try to change a societal system you don’t like.  Bravo.  Instead of protesting in way that could hurt the company (like not cruising until they change their system), you stiff staff who take the job knowing that tips account for the lion’s share of the compensation.  You also know when booking your cruise the exact tipping structure.  That, quite frankly, is heartless and cheap.   No matter how hard you to try to disguise that you are cheap and stiff people with some nonsensical altruistic argument, normal people see through this quite easily.  Please stop with the ridiculous argument here.  We aren’t buying it and you shouldn’t be selling it.  

If you were interested in changing the tipping system in cruises you would be doing something that might actually make a difference.  Stuffing staff isn’t gonna change anything other than screw them over here and there.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you cannot afford the gratuities, you can’t afford the cruise. Whether you like it or not, staff on most major cruise lines depend on gratuities. Crew members bust their butts to make sure passengers enjoy their cruise. Anyone who would remove gratuities is a POS in my book. If you don’t like the policy, you shouldn’t cruise. 

I'm sorry I may have missed it scrolling through the thread, who said anything about this being an affordability issue?🤔

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Why is your anger not directed at the cruise lines for not paying their crew properly? Why is it the consumers responsibility? 

You enable unfair labor practices by the cruise lines. Shame on you 

This is a ridiculous argument.  Consumers essentially always pay the wages of employees.  You think when you buy a piece of furniture you aren’t in part paying the wage of the sales person or the delivery person?  

So it is either baked in the price up front or you tip in service industry type of products.  But it is no secret tips are the main wage in the service industry for those working and it is no secret to customers that tips are the norm.  Royal certainly doesn’t hide (as you say forces you) that tips are on top of the base fare.  

So what’s the issue here?  It isn’t like they are hiding it?   Your basically saying you would rather have them charge you 100 more for a week and auto give that to the various employees as part of their base pay.  To that I would say go visit Europe and see how service compares overall.  Sure, I’ve had plenty of good service experiences in Europe, but I’ve had so many horrible experiences as well.  And they obviously know Americans might still tip.  Overall, the system motivates and creates better service.  I’ve seen the stark differences all too often.  I’ll gladly remain in a tipping society where good service is encouraged and rewarded on customer at a time.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm sorry I may have missed it scrolling through the thread, who said anything about this being an affordability issue?🤔

Because experience has taught me people who remove gratuities are usually people trying to save money because they are already stretching themselves just to afford the cruise. I realize that doesn’t apply to everyone, some people are just plain cheap no matter how much money they have. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, topnole said:

Im sure most of us want them to be paid what they make now which is why we tip them.  You, on the other hand,

take it out on them to try to change a societal system you don’t like.  Bravo.  Instead of protesting in way that could hurt the company (like not cruising until they change their system), you stiff staff who take the job knowing that tips account for the lion’s share of the compensation.  You also know when booking your cruise the exact tipping structure.  That, quite frankly, is heartless and cheap.   No matter how hard you to try to disguise that you are cheap and stiff people with some nonsensical altruistic argument, normal people see through this quite easily.  Please stop with the ridiculous argument here.  We aren’t buying it and you shouldn’t be selling it.  

If you were interested in changing the tipping system in cruises you would be doing something that might actually make a difference.  Stuffing staff isn’t gonna change anything other than screw them over here and there.  

Again, I am not the one responsible for:

a. The cruise lines exploiting poor foreign communities for cheap labor

b. Crew willingly taking jobs. The word "slave" has no place in this discussion.

And its amazing that this line of thinking from people like you doesnt extend to your daily life and purchase of products made from people in poor countries making below a living standard and working in abusive work conditions. Do you send extra money to "tip" the workers that make the products you buy in Walmart..Target...online from Amazon? DO you feel like you need to supplement their wages? If not, I guess by your own logic that makes you cheap and heartless. Welcome to my club. 

And also, how do you know that the cruise line is actually paying the staff 100% of the gratuities that they collect from charging $14.50/per day/per person? SO you are going to trust the same company that pays workers sub standard wages to actually ensure that 100% of gratuities filter down to the staff? Especially in a time where the cruise lines are bleeding cash. 

My cruise fare goes toward the money to employ the crew. Plain and simple. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

This is a ridiculous argument.  Consumers essentially always pay the wages of employees.  You think when you buy a piece of furniture you aren’t in part paying the wage of the sales person or the delivery person?  

So it is either baked in the price up front or you tip in service industry type of products.  But it is no secret tips are the main wage in the service industry for those working and it is no secret to customers that tips are the norm.  Royal certainly doesn’t hide (as you say forces you) that tips are on top of the base fare.  

So what’s the issue here?  It isn’t like they are hiding it?   Your basically saying you would rather have them charge you 100 more for a week and auto give that to the various employees as part of their base pay.  To that I would say go visit Europe and see how service compares overall.  Sure, I’ve had plenty of good service experiences in Europe, but I’ve had so many horrible experiences as well.  And they obviously know Americans might still tip.  Overall, the system motivates and creates better service.  I’ve seen the stark differences all too often.  I’ll gladly remain in a tipping society where good service is encouraged and rewarded on customer at a time.  

If i order a sofa online, the furniture company doesnt add an 18% service charge on top of the price of the sofa. There is the difference. Yes, wages are baked into the cost of goods and by your own argument, you shouldnt be expected to pay extra on top of the goods you buy to go towards employee wages that should already baked into cost of goods. 

Conversely, read these articles about tipping culture in the US and how it affects workers:

https://emorywheel.com/american-tipping-culture-is-harming-the-food-service-industry-sophias-smorgasbord/

https://www.eater.com/a/case-against-tipping

3 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Again, I am not the one responsible for:

a. The cruise lines exploiting poor foreign communities for cheap labor

b. Crew willingly taking jobs. The word "slave" has no place in this discussion.

And its amazing that this line of thinking from people like you doesnt extend to your daily life and purchase of products made from people in poor countries making below a living standard and working in abusive work conditions. Do you send extra money to "tip" the workers that make the products you buy in Walmart..Target...online from Amazon? DO you feel like you need to supplement their wages? If not, I guess by your own logic that makes you cheap and heartless. Welcome to my club. 

And also, how do you know that the cruise line is actually paying the staff 100% of the gratuities that they collect from charging $14.50/per day/per person? SO you are going to trust the same company that pays workers sub standard wages to actually ensure that 100% of gratuities filter down to the staff? Especially in a time where the cruise lines are bleeding cash. 

My cruise fare goes toward the money to employ the crew. Plain and simple. 

Not sure I used the term slave, so I don’t know where that part of your comment comes from.  

I tip people that serve me, whether I’m a ship or at home.   That is our system.  Factory workers aren’t paid on the same wage scales as service workers and they don’t provide you a service.  You are convoluting the argument.  Tips go to someone providing a service to someone (like serving your food or cleaning your room).  

If I didn’t trust that those tips go to the workers, I wouldn’t cruise on Royal.  So yes, I trust they do.  I can’t imagine someone still cruising with Royal if they think they aren’t distributing tip money to the workers that they specifically tell you it goes to.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

If i order a sofa online, the furniture company doesnt add an 18% service charge on top of the price of the sofa. There is the difference. Yes, wages are baked into the cost of goods and by your own argument, you shouldnt be expected to pay extra on top of the goods you buy to go towards employee wages that should already baked into cost of goods. 

Conversely, read these articles about tipping culture in the US and how it affects workers:

https://emorywheel.com/american-tipping-culture-is-harming-the-food-service-industry-sophias-smorgasbord/

https://www.eater.com/a/case-against-tipping

Yeah.  That furniture company charges you a $100 or 200 delivery charge.  And they sneak that one with zero transparency.  Plus, they still charged you more because they pay higher wages.  In the end, it matters little.  Most pay it

one way or the other.  In our system you don’t because you stiff the service worker in an effort to help them. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️  Your choice, but wow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1