Live from the Legend!! December 19-26, 2021 with Kmom.

KmomChicago

I just gotta say it. Internet on this ship is NOT GOOD. Timing out, death spinning, slow loading, uploading errors, in spite of showing decent arcs. 

Between Cruise Critic and this Wi-Fi, posting is difficult and at times impossible for stretches of several hours.

The only thing I can compare it to are the old days of dial-up using AOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I just gotta say it. Internet on this ship is NOT GOOD. Timing out, death spinning, slow loading, uploading errors, in spite of showing decent arcs. 

Between Cruise Critic and this Wi-Fi, posting is difficult and at times impossible for stretches of several hours.

I had the same problem on the MG a couple weeks ago...can't believe I paid for premium internet and had SO much trouble.  Was trying to keep in touch with DH back home.  Could text and facetime him, couldn't get photos through 90% of the time.  Apps worked sorta.  All frustrating.  Don't let it frustrate you and dampen your cruise enjoyment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balcony bound said:

I had the same problem on the MG a couple weeks ago...can't believe I paid for premium internet and had SO much trouble.  Was trying to keep in touch with DH back home.  Could text and facetime him, couldn't get photos through 90% of the time.  Apps worked sorta.  All frustrating.  Don't let it frustrate you and dampen your cruise enjoyment.

Sorry to hear that. I didn’t have trouble on the Mardi Gras and wasn’t prepared to be this disappointed. 

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Which version did you purchase?

1 hour ago, balcony bound said:

I thought the wifi on MG to be on par with every other cruise we have taken, we always get premium.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

On The Pride we had no internet for ~ 50% of day 2 and day 5.  When I went to Guest Services to request a partial refund they happily refunded 50% of the total price while I was still describing the question, before I could even get to the ask.

• Like 2

We have premium. It’s just not working well. There are some other issues. The sea had been rough and there’s constant movement on the ship and even the creaking noises in places. It’s been mostly cold and cloudy so far, which of course I realize we left the (almost north) east coast 2 days before the end of fall. Today must be the first day of winter and it’s warmer but not warm, raining and very overcast, none of which is distracting me as the tropical sunshine might have and hopefully will starting later today. 

I don’t want to wallow publicly but I’m having both digestive and maybe a little moody thing going on as well. I may have set myself up to unrealistic expectations, coming off the Mardi Gras like it was one of the the happiest experiences of my traveling life and assuming this would pick up precisely where that left off. 

The crew is wonderful and this is by far the largest and nicest room I’ve ever had on a cruise and the food is fine and the Motor City show last night was probably the best playlist productions show I’ve seen, with lots of background and costume changes and vocal performance pretty true to the original beloved tunes. 

I’ve mentioned in other reviews that I battle my issues and demons and that’s exactly what’s going on. I need to channel my dear lost friend Carol who passed 15 years ago from cancer leaving behind her three children all under 5 years old. She is usually instrumental in reminding me that my attitude is largely in my control and giving me the strength and motivation to shift my perspective and cheer myself up.

I also don’t want to portray myself as one of these fake-perfect influencers. I can barely influence my own screwed up mind half the time. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Serenity deck this morning.4F0C3D23-AC47-4A9B-BB19-7040B3BD5B7C.thumb.jpeg.7b9e9b9484d9f12fc1565d3e0740a5f1.jpeg

I thought they would have some sort of a drainage system or something in between the wood piles. I mean, it doesnt look right. Unless there was a huge wave that hit the ship. In all other cases, it should be dry, like super dry 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I thought they would have some sort of a drainage system or something in between the wood piles. I mean, it doesnt look right. Unless there was a huge wave that hit the ship. In all other cases, it should be dry, like super dry 

Nope. A guy was squeegeeing to little effect.

I did conjure up my old friend deep in my mind, or so I convinced myself, or maybe she arrived on her own for a moment, and she told me she was glad to see me and to see the reflections and ripples in the moving puddles on the deck and to feel the mist and the breeze on the arms and face.

And she reminded me that motion is life and it’s lovely and amazing. And when all else fails, to try to relax and really look at, and enjoy, the view constantly changing in front of me. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I skipped breakfast and lunch because my digestion is all screwy today which is not all that unusual for me, particularly when I’ve been overeating. I did have 2 little coffees with cream from the buffet and no appetite at the moment.  They’re all off at brunch so I’m chilling on the now pleasantly warm balcony. 

We are in one of the Grand Suites, something I cannot imagine choosing for myself because I’m way too thrifty but it’s what mom wanted so we split it. It is about a foot deeper and about double the length of a typical balcony as the room itself seems to be the size of two standard balcony rooms.

0C7EF364-C98C-40C9-805A-410BC04DD094.thumb.jpeg.40848f726da8dc83cf3b747799592757.jpeg

8C82E346-6A51-4823-982B-6D893B179637.thumb.jpeg.0a38e3e1cfcd6fcc03d80898bf67fb2c.jpeg

• Like 5

Earlier this morning. I don’t know if the video will upload or not. At the moment internet is just working. 

I actually just came up to the forward pool because it’s finally nice enough though it’s very windy. I had specially promised myself to spend at least 30 midday minutes in the sun each day feasible for some Vitamin D production. Did you know science says it’s likely impossible to make Vitamin D in the north after October and until about March. 

I have sunscreen but it’s not going on unless I exceed the 30 minutes. 1FE86F80-9B3B-442A-967C-82F073898180.thumb.jpeg.207e60df3094ab9ccd694686178a42f6.jpeg

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Serenity deck this morning.4F0C3D23-AC47-4A9B-BB19-7040B3BD5B7C.thumb.jpeg.7b9e9b9484d9f12fc1565d3e0740a5f1.jpeg

😴 Wind whippin' down the neck of my shirt
Like I ain't got nothin' on
But I'd rather fight, the wind and rain
Than what I've been fightin' at home 👍

Have Fun, great review!

7 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

@KmomChicago....I can so relate to the digestive issues....hope it passes....keep my Pepto handy as it helps.

That balcony looks wonderful, two loungers!

Hope the seas calm for you and the sun comes out to warm it all. 

Enjoying your review for sure.

Yes we are improving on all fronts at the moment, thanks very much. The kids in the pool are all hollering about how cold it is, but it’s great to see kids on a cruise at all and splashing around in there once they jump in. 

A lot of wind but we are now at partly sunny  conditions and well into the 70’s (20’s for you internationals, I believe) which is good enough for me. Feels like we are out of winter finally, thankfully.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

Have they updated the Carnival trivia yet? Two weeks ago it was prefaced with the fact that it hadn't been updated since 2019 and we should account for the four Fantasy class ships still sailing and no Mardi Gras. Despite the outdated questions, I won the coveted ship on a stick! My knowledge is likely from too much time on CC!

Seems updated to us. And kinda hard!

41 minutes ago, tytanbri said:

Kmom,

Can you see if they offer Diet Mountain Dew or Diet Root Beer on the ship. We are going in March and I have read that, while those are listed on the carnival site as available, they are not really. 

I appreciate it!

I’ll try to find out. Diet Mountain Dew was an option for our cabana form. Where do I ask? At a bar or my room steward?

20 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Earlier this morning. I don’t know if the video will upload or not. At the moment internet is just working. 

I actually just came up to the forward pool because it’s finally nice enough though it’s very windy. I had specially promised myself to spend at least 30 midday minutes in the sun each day feasible for some Vitamin D production. Did you know science says it’s likely impossible to make Vitamin D in the north after October and until about March. 

I have sunscreen but it’s not going on unless I exceed the 30 minutes. 1FE86F80-9B3B-442A-967C-82F073898180.thumb.jpeg.207e60df3094ab9ccd694686178a42f6.jpeg

IMG_9319.MOV  

IMG_9319.MOV  

IMG_9319.MOV

Great news!

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 7:15 AM, KmomChicago said:

Medieval castle motif. A569AFD9-160A-422A-9660-7AAF05F18417.thumb.jpeg.31d22d7e816ec8cbaaae0b718d3942f6.jpeg

By way of the 1990’s courtesy of one Joe Farcas, often imitated-but only by himself. Seriously no other cruise designer ever had the freedom and nerve to do stuff like this.556DCF77-81F9-4BD7-B651-A47038972945.thumb.jpeg.cff1652ada99cbe3498e7ea125d1b738.jpeg

Honestly you either love, hate or just tolerate these designs because you want a cruise so bad. 0C6EB26E-A11A-4340-AD90-B5D9A81B19D4.thumb.jpeg.393665534eefec1a81a064274155b00a.jpeg

My take is: you could only get away with this if you catered to working and middle class families, even 20-30 years ago. So that gives you the 3 big lines plus Disney that ever had a prayer of so much over the top themery. Little kids have gotta love this craziness. It’s also why Vegas has Excalibur and the Luxor, a brief era of fantasy-inspired getaways beyond almost any imagining. 

I get why the garishness annoys people, plus it’s all showing age in other ways, dinged up furniture and mismatched lightbulb colors being just a couple of examples. But I also miss this what-will-they-dream-up-next creativity. Also the one of a kind nature of it. Ya ain’t a-gonna ever see another boat that looks like this one, folks. (Boat-ship police cringe now on cue). Just go with it. You WILL miss it later.

4290E05B-678C-4892-8B2C-0C8D19FC9C26.thumb.jpeg.bf1b3c47eba2d5fcb29f2a3832bc40ec.jpeg

Loving your review and all of the pictures. We sailed on Miracle once when it was sailing out of Tampa. The next time you’re in the Lido dining room at the back drink station, look up over your head. I never noticed the decorations there until our last day. I tried o find a picture to post, but can’t locate it. 

• Like 2