Federal govt says not to travel internationally for min 4 weeks

bubbadogmom

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

I agree with everything you say. The point I was trying to make is that, in theory, you don't test positive unless you catch it, so if you aren't concerned about catching it, you shouldn't be concerned about testing positive. Conversely, if you are concerned about testing positive, you should definitely be concerned about catching it, even if you are fully vaxxed and boostered.

All early evidence suggests that cases are mild, especially for those who are vaxxed with boosters. I'm not worried about getting a mild case of COVID, and given Omicron's transmissibility many of us likely will. If we could come back home without having to pass a PCR test, we would likely keep our booking. As it is, spending two weeks quarantining in the US (which is much more likely with Omicron) is the deal breaker for us.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, truckswain said:

While Omicron is more transmissible there is no data yet that hospitalizations and deaths will trend upwards as well.  As far as I am concerned hospitalizations and deaths are the key metrics not infections. Time will tell.

We will see the spike in hospitalizations in a few weeks. Simple math coupled with existing data suggests that there will be a spike. The number of new cases in Ontario has doubled in less than a week.  According to health authorities Omicron is dominant. Couple this with the findings that previous natural immunity and  2 shot vaccinations provide much less protection. It all adds up to more hospitalizations even if the rate is substantially lower than delta.

While I don't council panic, I do think it a mistake to presume the new variant is not going to significantly impact lifestyles.

7 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Today’s announcement got rid of the short trips testing exemption.  Glad we popped over to Walmart and Olive Garden in Buffalo last weekend.

Olive Garden?

You skipped Duff's or the Anchor Bar for the Olive Garden? 😵

😇

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Olive Garden?

You skipped Duff's or the Anchor Bar for the Olive Garden? 😵

😇

There’s a Duff’s here in Toronto not too far from us.  When in the States, we specifically go for stuff we can’t get at all at home. 😉  And we were only going just over the Lewiston bridge and back, otherwise we would have driven to the Cracker Barrel near Amherst.

Edited by bookbabe

22 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

There’s a Duff’s here in Toronto not too far from us.  When in the States, we specifically go for stuff we can’t get at all at home. 😉  And we were only going just over the Lewiston bridge and back, otherwise we would have driven to the Cracker Barrel near Amherst.

What? No Olive Garden in the GTA anymore? After reading your post I'm having a craving for bread sticks! 

40 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

What? No Olive Garden in the GTA anymore? After reading your post I'm having a craving for bread sticks! 

Nope.  Think they closed all the Canadian ones if I remember correctly.  Your only option is East Side Mario’s, it’s the closest I’ve found, and it’s loaves instead of sticks.  But we don’t get to them often either, since they closed the Markham location our nearest ones are a bit of a drive (Stouffville or Aurora).

Edit…none in eastern or central Canada, just the Prairies and one in BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_Garden#Locations

Edited by bookbabe

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

Today’s announcement got rid of the short trips testing exemption.  Glad we popped over to Walmart and Olive Garden in Buffalo last weekend.

It's worse that just getting rid of the exemption. The PCR test must be done in the US. A Canadian test before departure is not acceptable. The news conference seemed to indicate that the motivation for the change was mostly to reduce travel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broberts said:

It's worse that just getting rid of the exemption. The PCR test must be done in the US. A Canadian test before departure is not acceptable. The news conference seemed to indicate that the motivation for the change was mostly to reduce travel.

Or more like it encourages people to be in the states longer.

I'm close to Watertown/Syracuse and have a lot of friends who like to go across for the day to shop.

It would be way safer to spend less time shopping but this new rule means they would cross over, get a test, stay overnight, and the come home the next day.

There was an article in today's newspaper that laid out the concern for travellers. It talked about the unpredictable measures government may impose as well as how airlines will adjust their flights should travellers become scarce....they talked about how the Feds would not be chartering planes to bring home stranded Canadians because of cancelled flights....and the possibility of health care becoming overwhelmed wherever we may be.....I talked to our travel medical insurance rep today and I think I have it figured out to be covered insurance wise for health and trip cancellation....but I have no way of knowing what we may be up against logistically should borders become closed, flights become grounded, or we become sick in a town where the hospitals are overrun.....

1 hour ago, powderhorn said:

There was an article in today's newspaper that laid out the concern for travellers. It talked about the unpredictable measures government may impose as well as how airlines will adjust their flights should travellers become scarce....they talked about how the Feds would not be chartering planes to bring home stranded Canadians because of cancelled flights....and the possibility of health care becoming overwhelmed wherever we may be.....I talked to our travel medical insurance rep today and I think I have it figured out to be covered insurance wise for health and trip cancellation....but I have no way of knowing what we may be up against logistically should borders become closed, flights become grounded, or we become sick in a town where the hospitals are overrun.....

For our cruise on the 24th out of New Jersey we are driving to avoid the 'stranded' problem so thats one stress we dont have. 

I get your concerns however and its a tough choice.

• Like 1

We are booked on Holland America for the Jan 9-16 /22 cruise.  

Currently, Canada has issued an 'advisory' against travel, not (yet) an 'order'.

HA will continue to cruise unless ordered to stop. 

We have had our 3rd vaccine/booster, we have insurance, and feel naked without a mask ...hopefully all will be fine and we'll have a healthy holiday.

• Like 2

We’re from BC leaving next week. Because of the travel advisory, it seems like many insurance companies (specifically Allianz for me) will not be covering cruise ships and or level 3 advisories for MEdical Emergency.

Anyone know if any insurance company will cover cruise ships in BC? Only really looking for the medical emergency coverage.

56 minutes ago, james_cruise said:

We’re from BC leaving next week. Because of the travel advisory, it seems like many insurance companies (specifically Allianz for me) will not be covering cruise ships and or level 3 advisories for MEdical Emergency.

Anyone know if any insurance company will cover cruise ships in BC? Only really looking for the medical emergency coverage.

you’re flying out of BC or cruising out of BC?  Just curious, I didn’t think there were winter cruises from Vic or Van.

anyway, check out Costco’s ‘COVID 19 pandemic travel plan’, here is a blurb pasted from the website.  Link is at the bottom of the Costcotravel.ca site.

Covid-19 Pandemic Travel Plan 

Planning on taking a trip outside of Canada? This plan can help protect you from unexpected emergency medical expenses and includes COVID-19 expenses. Trip interruption expenses are also available.  The COVID-19 Pandemic Plan offers up to $5,000,000 for non-COVID-19 related expenses and up to $1,000,000 for COVID-19 related expenses. Plus, if you have received the full course of immunization for Coronavirus (COVID-19) that is authorized by Health Canada before your effective date, you are eligible for $5M in expenses related to COVID-19.

Exclusive for Costco members: Flight & Travel Accidental Death and Dismemberment

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

For our cruise on the 24th out of New Jersey we are driving to avoid the 'stranded' problem so thats one stress we dont have. 

I get your concerns however and its a tough choice.

Don’t you need a negative test now prior to crossing the border?  Wouldn’t you still have to remain in the US if you test positive?

7 hours ago, james_cruise said:

You can look at the Johnson Insurance policy (I'm in Alberta and got it and I don't have a group of any sort) or the Manulife Pandemic Policy.

19 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

Don’t you need a negative test now prior to crossing the border?  Wouldn’t you still have to remain in the US if you test positive?

You need a valid test. Not a negative one.

You will have to quarantine at home for 14days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scuppersisontheboat said:

you’re flying out of BC or cruising out of BC?  Just curious, I didn’t think there were winter cruises from Vic or Van.

anyway, check out Costco’s ‘COVID 19 pandemic travel plan’, here is a blurb pasted from the website.  Link is at the bottom of the Costcotravel.ca site.

Covid-19 Pandemic Travel Plan 

Planning on taking a trip outside of Canada? This plan can help protect you from unexpected emergency medical expenses and includes COVID-19 expenses. Trip interruption expenses are also available.  The COVID-19 Pandemic Plan offers up to $5,000,000 for non-COVID-19 related expenses and up to $1,000,000 for COVID-19 related expenses. Plus, if you have received the full course of immunization for Coronavirus (COVID-19) that is authorized by Health Canada before your effective date, you are eligible for $5M in expenses related to COVID-19.

Exclusive for Costco members: Flight & Travel Accidental Death and Dismemberment

thank you so much, I think this is perfect. Does this also covers non covid related emergencies too? The policy wording is a bit confusing in their document, but I think it does.

1 hour ago, waiting2retire said:

Nope. If you go to the government website below and put in that you have covid symptoms you are allowed back in the country, but need to quarantine at home.

As others have mentioned in here already, the ArriveCan app requires you to have a quarantine plan in place no matter what. You have to have a place to go, away from those that work in health care, with food, water, medication, etc.

If you are a Canadian citizen with a valid passport they can not deny you entry into the country. They CAN require quarantines though..

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

• Like 1

9 hours ago, james_cruise said:

We used Blue Cross for our cruise holiday medical emergency coverage (last week). We're Ontario but I would expect BC residents would be eligible.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We used Blue Cross for our cruise holiday medical emergency coverage (last week). We're Ontario but I would expect BC residents would be eligible.

Maybe, but they don’t cover every province which is strange to me but there must be a reason.  I used Johnson/medoc.  You do have to call.  It looks like you need to be in a group but you don’t.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Nope. If you go to the government website below and put in that you have covid symptoms you are allowed back in the country, but need to quarantine at home.

As others have mentioned in here already, the ArriveCan app requires you to have a quarantine plan in place no matter what. You have to have a place to go, away from those that work in health care, with food, water, medication, etc.

If you are a Canadian citizen with a valid passport they can not deny you entry into the country. They CAN require quarantines though..

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start

Permanent residents, among others are also permitted entry regardless of covid status.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

That i was not aware of. Thank you for sharing.

I’m assuming you are all referring to “ land crossings”. If your flying and tested positive prior to your flight home, the airline will refuse your boarding pass and therefore, you need to be quarantine in that Country. 

10 hours ago, james_cruise said:

Yes, Medipac will cover them and regardless of any advisory they also have Covid coverage included.  That's what we had bought for our Dec. 21 sailing which we've now cancelled.  We have lost the entirety of our fare though as Oceania won't issue a FCC.