Federal govt says not to travel internationally for min 4 weeks

bubbadogmom

For land crossings (we are driving to our sailing in Baltimore) should we test positive are we able to cross back into Canada via a land crossing with a positive test within the 14 day period or are we required to quarantine in the US?  

10 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I’m assuming you are all referring to “ land crossings”. If your flying and tested positive prior to your flight home, the airline will refuse your boarding pass and therefore, you need to be quarantine in that Country. 

Yes. Sorry. I had responded to numerous posts on numerous websites.

Right now if you test positive while coming off a cruise in the Unites States you CAN NOT fly home.

So the solution is to drive across the border and quarantine at home.

If you are a 3 day's drive home from your port, like me (Orlando to Ottawa) that is very doable and is one of my plans depending on what happens when I get off the cruise ship.

Others had said you would be stuck in the United States, which is untrue.

Adding in the conversation about health insurance, if you are feeling well enough to drive home then no need to worry about health insurance.

Oh and my plan involves renting a car since I'm flying to Orlando so no car there.

1 minute ago, edrussell said:

For land crossings (we are driving to our sailing in Baltimore) should we test positive are we able to cross back into Canada via a land crossing with a positive test within the 14 day period or are we required to quarantine in the US?  

Click on the government website link that I posted in one of my previous posts.

All the correct, up to date information is listed.

And the answer is yes. You can drive back across the border.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Right now if you test positive while coming off a cruise in the Unites States you CAN NOT fly home.

While you can't fly home on a commercial, public flight, it's my understanding that private flights home, as offered by Celebrity to passengers testing positive during the cruise, including pre-disembarkation testing for those requiring it, are permitted.

You will not be able to board a public flight to come to Canada until:

• 14 days have passed or
  • you present a medical certificate confirming that your symptoms are not related to COVID-19

When you are able to enter, you will need to follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep Canadians safe, particularly given the new COVID-19 variants in Canada and around the world.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/citizen-symptoms-air

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, james_cruise said:

We’re from BC leaving next week. Because of the travel advisory, it seems like many insurance companies (specifically Allianz for me) will not be covering cruise ships and or level 3 advisories for MEdical Emergency.

Anyone know if any insurance company will cover cruise ships in BC? Only really looking for the medical emergency coverage.

Try Manulife's- Covid 19 Pandemic Travel plan, or TUGO cover BC folks !

December 15, 2021Collapse

With the Canadian government’s reinstatement of the level 3 "avoid non-essential travel" advisory, we’d like to reassure you that this announcement won’t impact TuGo’s COVID-19 coverage. As of November 30, 2021:

Emergency Medical Insurance for Canadians: TuGo provides COVID-19 coverage under our Emergency Medical Insurance plans for vaccinated Canadians, up to the policy limit. We now provide coverage to travellers regardless of travel advisory levels issued by the Canadian government. Our COVID-19 - Unvaccinated plan for unvaccinated Canadians (and those wanting extra quarantine benefits) also remains unchanged.

Am I covered for COVID-19 during my upcoming cruise?Collapse

Yes, TuGo’s Emergency Medical Insurance policy will cover travellers regardless of travel advisory levels issued by the Canadian government.

Edited by 3JCruiser

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

While you can't fly home on a commercial, public flight, it's my understanding that private flights home, as offered by Celebrity to passengers testing positive during the cruise, including pre-disembarkation testing for those requiring it, are permitted.

You will not be able to board a public flight to come to Canada until:

• 14 days have passed or
  • you present a medical certificate confirming that your symptoms are not related to COVID-19

When you are able to enter, you will need to follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep Canadians safe, particularly given the new COVID-19 variants in Canada and around the world.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/citizen-symptoms-air

You need a blog or YouTube chanel. People would pay money for all the detailed important information you give out 🙂

Yes. Private flights are good.

Although I am not rich and fancy and thus have never booked on Princess or Celebrity that offers flights home on private planes 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, edrussell said:

You are required at the land border to provide a covid 19 test result. Not a negative test result. You'll just have to quarantine once you get home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean163 said:

We have lost the entirety of our fare though as Oceania won't issue a FCC.

Jean163, as Oceania is owned by NCL, they are playing ‘hard ball’ and refusing an FCC. NCL says partial refunds are available if the passenger has NCL insurance. We are booked on NCL and are having serious second thoughts about making our final payment. Have read elsewhere on CC that one individual did manage to ‘talk’ NCL into providing a FCC. Worth a try to escalate your problem.

BTW, we cancelled an early December cruise and Air Canada provided a future, open ended, credit voucher for the full flight amount paid.

Good luck!

10 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Jean163, as Oceania is owned by NCL, they are playing ‘hard ball’ and refusing an FCC. NCL says partial refunds are available if the passenger has NCL insurance. We are booked on NCL and are having serious second thoughts about making our final payment. Have read elsewhere on CC that one individual did manage to ‘talk’ NCL into providing a FCC. Worth a try to escalate your problem.

BTW, we cancelled an early December cruise and Air Canada provided a future, open ended, credit voucher for the full flight amount paid.

Good luck!

Not even an option on the insurance as Oceania only sells theirs to US passengers.  We've got all our flights refunded (Westjet and Air Canada) to our credit card so it's only O that is holding back.  This would have been our 14th cruise on Oceania (and we have another one on deposit) so even loyalty doesn't count...

Edited by jean163

8 minutes ago, jean163 said:

Not even an option on the insurance as Oceania only sells theirs to US passengers.  We've got all our flights refunded (Westjet and Air Canada) to our credit card so it's only O that is holding back.  This would have been our 14th cruise on Oceania (and we have another one on deposit) so even loyalty doesn't count...

Does leave a rather poor taste in one’s mouth. Still, escalating to Robert Binder, CEO, or Frank del Rio, CEO, NCL Holdings may help. Ya never know.

Loyalty should account for something.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Yes. Sorry. I had responded to numerous posts on numerous websites.

So the solution is to drive across the border and quarantine at home.

If you are a 3 day's drive home from your port, like me (Orlando to Ottawa) that is very doable and is one of my plans depending on what happens when I get off the cruise ship.

Others had said you would be stuck in the United States, which is untrue.

Adding in the conversation about health insurance, if you are feeling well enough to drive home then no need to worry about health insurance.

Oh and my plan involves renting a car since I'm flying to Orlando so no car there.

I actually had the same thoughts prior to our cruise last month. Fortunately, we tested negative before our flight back to YUL, but I had researched the basics of a FLL to Montreal car trip. Be careful about availability and cost though. A few months ago when I first started researching the one way car rental scenario as a last resort fallback, I could rent at FLL and actually drop off in Montreal, for $US2000 !.  If I rented cars at each intermediate hotel stop on the way, say Charlotte and New York, the costs were much lower, but still around a grand.  When I looked just before our trip in mid-November, prices for rental cars had skyrocketed and availability was massively reduced.  Have you considered coming back by rail?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

As a back up plan I have reserved a premium car through Costco for 3 weeks and the total cost of a return trip is CA $ 818.99

I'm just curious, but if you are going to drive down and back, why not use your own vehicle rather than renting one?

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'm just curious, but if you are going to drive down and back, why not use your own vehicle rather than renting one?

I'm thinking what would happen if they were driving their own car & it developed mechanical issues and became 'non driveable'?

What would they do with themselves (and their car)?

30 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Lol. Long story.  One thing about driving to Florida, what happens (worst case scenario) the ship doesn’t return to the same Port (Covid outbreak). Remember what happen almost 2 years ago.  We are planning on worst case scenario and coming up with the best plan. This whole matter is driving us nuts.  We have decide to pay our final payment tomorrow and take the chance. We plan this trip 2 years ago and we have build ourselves up. If we cancel before final payment and it turns out okay to cruise in March, that would rude us. We wouldn’t be able to rebook because currently, the cruise is almost sold out. Secondly, after payment if we need to cancel up to departure at least we get a full refund (PVP) as FCC. The only problem with that, is we have to use our FCC by the end of next year or we will lose $6,500. We are booked in November for Sydney/NewZealand however, we are not getting our hopes high because we are prepared that things could change. We did not expect this current situation. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GeriatricNurse said:

I'm thinking what would happen if they were driving their own car & it developed mechanical issues and became 'non driveable'?

What would they do with themselves (and their car)?

That was another issue of ours. In the past I go to the nearest Enterprise and change cars. Done that before. 

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I actually had the same thoughts prior to our cruise last month. Fortunately, we tested negative before our flight back to YUL, but I had researched the basics of a FLL to Montreal car trip. Be careful about availability and cost though. A few months ago when I first started researching the one way car rental scenario as a last resort fallback, I could rent at FLL and actually drop off in Montreal, for $US2000 !.  If I rented cars at each intermediate hotel stop on the way, say Charlotte and New York, the costs were much lower, but still around a grand.  When I looked just before our trip in mid-November, prices for rental cars had skyrocketed and availability was massively reduced.  Have you considered coming back by rail?

I looked online and Budget and Avis that are located at the Orlando airport allow cross border rentals.

Enterprice, Thrifty, Dollar, and Hertz do not.

Avis charges $775 for cross border, Budget says it does as well but on the Air Canada website it doesn't say anything.

So yes the cost for a 3 day car rental would be about $1200 CAD.

We haven't thought of rail, however I used to drive down to Florida every March Break with my parent when i was in elementary school, and so my son and i are actually a little excited if that happens.

14 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I looked online and Budget and Avis that are located at the Orlando airport allow cross border rentals.

Enterprice, Thrifty, Dollar, and Hertz do not.

Avis charges $775 for cross border, Budget says it does as well but on the Air Canada website it doesn't say anything.

So yes the cost for a 3 day car rental would be about $1200 CAD.

We haven't thought of rail, however I used to drive down to Florida every March Break with my parent when i was in elementary school, and so my son and i are actually a little excited if that happens.

Sorry, i'm confused. You can take a train with COVID?

Edited by Raveler

26 minutes ago, Raveler said:

Sorry, i'm confused. You can take a train with COVID?

The US has no requirement for COVID testing for domestic travel. While highly irresponsible, there is nothing preventing you from flying or taking a train or other form of public transport. This Amtrak webpage on crossing the border states that you must be tested to enter Canada, and use the ArriveCAN app, but there's no indication that they require you to have a negative test to board.  https://www.amtrak.com/crossing-the-us-canadian-border

• Like 1

22 hours ago, K_e_short said:

You need a blog or YouTube chanel. People would pay money for all the detailed important information you give out 🙂

Yes!  Don (of Family Vacations) ought to have a Canadian competitor who doesn't rant. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, jean163 said:

This is very disappointing news as we cruise with Oceania and love this line. Assume your Travel Agent has pushed this up the line to management in Miami as often having your TA in your court helps.

We follow the CC Oceania forum page. Perhaps if you post on this page, other Oceania cruisers may have suggestions on who to contact: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/29-oceania-cruises/.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The US has no requirement for COVID testing for domestic travel. While highly irresponsible, there is nothing preventing you from flying or taking a train or other form of public transport. This Amtrak webpage on crossing the border states that you must be tested to enter Canada, and use the ArriveCAN app, but there's no indication that they require you to have a negative test to board.  https://www.amtrak.com/crossing-the-us-canadian-border

That pretty much summarizes my understanding as well.  Given that they don't REQUIRE any type of testing, it makes one wonder what percentage of US airlines, bus lines and rail lines are transporting around COVID positive passengers who aren't aware of  the fact that they are a health risk. Given the rates in the US, I'm betting there a lot of COVID + passengers out there.

• Like 3

On 12/18/2021 at 4:29 PM, DHP1 said:

. Secondly, after payment if we need to cancel up to departure at least we get a full refund (PVP) as FCC. The only problem with that, is we have to use our FCC by the end of next year or we will lose $6,500. We are booked in November for Sydney/NewZealand however, we are not getting our hopes high because we are prepared that things could change. We did not expect this current situation. 

You have to book by May 2022 I believe and use the FCC by Dec 31, 2022 OR ONE YEAR FROM YOUR CRUISE DATE - whatever date is the latest....in case the helps?

16 minutes ago, Froufie said:

You have to book by May 2022 I believe and use the FCC by Dec 31, 2022 OR ONE YEAR FROM YOUR CRUISE DATE - whatever date is the latest....in case the helps?

From Princess website: - FCCs can be used on any sailing made by and sailed by December 31, 2022

Edited by DHP1