Report from the Noordam - Maiden Voyage

RevNeal

Although I enjoy a leisurely dinner, I hope the dining room will be running on a better schedule as we so enjoy participating in all the other activities on board - a 3 hour dinner cuts into our dance schedule!

I would expect the service to improve as the crew learns how to work with each other better. The Pinnacle will always be a bit slower, but if you mention to your server that you want to be out by such-and-such-a-time, that should do the trick.

One of the most ridiculous meals we had was a group lunch in the Pinnacle. I have never had a lunch on ship run 2 hours. Yes ... TWO hours. Grrrrrrr

Thanks for your wonderful review, Greg. I so enjoyed reading your description of the very beautiful ms Noordam. The changes you described that exist between the first Vista (Zuiderdam) to the last of the sisters, Noordam, really do make a considerable difference in the elegance and feel of the ships. We have had fabulous cruises on Zuiderdam and enjoy that ship, but Noordam........she is so very much more elegant IMO So much richer in feel; restful to the eyes; truly beautiful.

I totally agree, SHE is HAL.

Thanks, RevNeal for a superb journalistic offering. Among many gifts, you obviously have a way with the written word. Your descriptions draw your readers into the Noordam and the cruise experience with elegance and style leaving us begging for more. Bravo!

You whet the appetite not only for the next cruise, but to experience more of your writing talent. Thanks!

Thank you, bluegrass grannie and others, for your kind words. I suppose I should disclose that I am a writer. :) It comes with the territory of my profession, I suppose.

Nevertheless, thank you for your kind responses. I enjoyed writing it almost as much as I enjoyed taking the cruise.

I'd just like to add my two cents here and certainly not to detract from Greg's experience, but merely to share ours - we dined two other times outside the first night in the Pinnacle hosted by Brian, both nights we had incredible service from two different servers. We had the same wine steward and he was fabulous. Both dinners were about an hour or so in length and the second time there were three of us. Maybe because we were a smaller group it was easier.

We did not notice any problems in the dining room other than the one time we sat at the very back table, it was excessively and almost excruciatingly warm. One other occassion, the steward forgot to give Sonny a menu and then forgot to take his order for the appetizer, but realized it quickly enough.

The biggest problem I had was with the wine steward. The first couple of days it was almost impossible to get a wine list - then once ordered, you were lucky to have the bottle before dinner ended. We bought the Navigator package and the steward wanted to argue about the number of bottles we were to receive, insisting we already had one - I finally told him I wasn't going to argue about it anymore. After that, we found it easier to keep ordering the same selection than look at the list for something new.

Also, our section of the D/R had a number of large tables, all occupied - I don't know if this made a difference or not, but one would assume such a busy & crowded section would have some impact on the service.

Sometimes, I use the term, "Meet and Greet", sometimes, I call it a "gathering" and sometimes, I call it a "get-together. I've even called them "parties" before. I interchange the names without thinking and didn't know there was a right or a wrong. I guess to some it matters and I stand corrected.

dsawyer - Our CD on the Maasdam used "Meet and Greet" so I'm sure there are no worries, lol! On our Maasdam cruise in 2004, we had the best group - at the time we had the longest Roll Call thread, I think it had well over 5,000 posts by the time we ended it - and such a fantastic group of people.

I'm sure your group will enjoy the Noordam just as much as we did. It was a wonderful cruise. :) I can't wait til you get back and share!

Laura,

Thanks for the input. As I have said, different people may well have different experiences. I would not say that our service was HORRIBLE ... just that I've had much better on other cruises and that there were times when the service in our area on the Noordam really did not meet acceptable levels.

I agree entirely that the temperature in our area was horrible. There was something definitely wrong with the AC vents in that section of the Dining room.

Training is the keyword.

Providing more is what sets Holland America apart. With this new vessel afloat and in srvice times will get better.

Youall had been on the Virgin Voyage and saw what is/was wrong thusly notifing the proper people to which the aspect of nonfunction and/or malfunction was given..

Just hope they are corrected fo the this current voyage in route now as well the others.

We are booked on the Fourth of this Fourth Noordam.

Feedback is vital so as to know what is needed/wanted and seen....

Otherwise it would remain staus quo...

Constructive critical remarking is just that.... to build a better service..product..and/or environment.

Praise is vital as well to stimulate and produce better results ....

In the formal dining area is it zone air and heat? Are the coils in the floor for this too?

Once again, thank you Greg for a most comprehensive report. :)

I thought the Noordam beautiful enought that I'm breaking two cardinal rules---I'm sailing a Vista to the Caribbean. Me! Imagine RuthC on a large ship to hot-weather ports :eek: . I booked the day you sailed and sail in only one week.

Question: do you think the Black & White Ball will be continued on this cruise? Or do you think it was special for the Maiden Voyage? :confused:

Ruth,

I'm proud of you. You'll love her. She is a big ship, but she doesn't FEEL big (other than it being a long walk from stem to stern!).

As for the Black and White Ball ... I sure hope they continue it. It really is a nice event. I've always enjoyed them on longer cruises (like the Hawaii trip).

dsawyer - Our CD on the Maasdam used "Meet and Greet" so I'm sure there are no worries, lol! On our Maasdam cruise in 2004, we had the best group - at the time we had the longest Roll Call thread, I think it had well over 5,000 posts by the time we ended it - and such a fantastic group of people.

I'm sure your group will enjoy the Noordam just as much as we did. It was a wonderful cruise. :) I can't wait til you get back and share!

Thanks, Laura, for your kind words. I am happy you had a wonderful cruise on both The Maasdam and The Noordam. :)

Since CruiseCritic events on Holland American are not sponsored by the cruiseline or CruiseCritics and are totally arranged by the passengers, I really can't see any harm in calling it whatever. I happen to think "Meet and Greet" is rather catchy and people tend to respond to it. :D

We are sailing on the Noordam on 4/5 and wish to thank you for your review and posts from onboard. Your input has made us even more eager to begin our trip. If after all the info you provided If I can ask just one more question I would be grateful. How was the entertainment? We particularly enjoy the piano bar. I'm happy to hear you had a wonderful time.

Laura,

Thanks for the input. As I have said, different people may well have different experiences. I would not say that our service was HORRIBLE ... just that I've had much better on other cruises and that there were times when the service in our area on the Noordam really did not meet acceptable levels.

I agree entirely that the temperature in our area was horrible. There was something definitely wrong with the AC vents in that section of the Dining room.

It's amazing the difference in service a mere section makes isn't it? Remember the couple who joined Sonny & I the first and second nights? Well, he ended up coming down with a cold and missed dining in the D/R for several nights - but the night they came back, the round table was occupied, so they switched to another location - they said they had extraordinarily fast (probably faster than they liked) service and the A/C was blasting.

You have to admit that last formal night when we sat together, we had super fast service didn't we... ;)

Like bears (Bruins) you attrack more of them with honey and nectar than vinegar and unkind words...:)

Saying nothing sometimes is best as that too does then pass...:D

At least the Boston =Bruins play now like the NJ Devils too and the NY Rangers....:eek:

Forsight is a wonderful trait not many have but Hindsight everyones is 20/20 *S*

I DID!!! She is not calling me back! Some friend huh?? Seriously, she is coming back home tomorrow - I will know then. :) Sorry, I'm such a slacker!
Nooooo your not, you had a great reason for not being here LOL Did you see we had a price drop on our group cruise :)

I really enjoyed reading your review, Greg, as I always do. I'm so glad that overall you had such a fantastic time and that the CCer's got on so well together. After all, you never know! Reading each other's words on a message board is no guarantee you'll get along. So it's great that you all did.

It's funny about dinner, though. I have to say that we love a looooong dinner "hour". Even with the 8:00 we're rarely done before 10:15 and even then we have to force ourselves from the table. We usually have had such great tablemates that we enjoy sitting and chatting forever. When we see all have left the dining room, we hang our heads and retreat:D .

Dsawyer, RCI's is called "Meet and Mingle" and Celebrity's is "Connections" so it looks like Meet and Greet just may be up for grabs!:)

Greg--

Thanks for the thoughtful review - it certainly captures much of the spirit of what HAL had created w/ their newest ship. I can only hope that the other Vistas gain similar changes to their atmosphere when they are added to.

Jan '07, Huh?

Sure is tempting...

I doubt that I'd have to twist Scott's arm too much to get him to book with us too!

Laura--

How is Sonny feeling these days?

Is he suffering withdrawls yet?

;)

Thanks for the thoughtful review - it certainly captures much of the spirit of what HAL had created w/ their newest ship. I can only hope that the other Vistas gain similar changes to their atmosphere when they are added to.

You're welcome.

From what Captain Card said they do intend on installing several of the upgrades on the other Vistas. Good news, if you ask me. :)

Jan '07, Huh?

Sure is tempting...

I doubt that I'd have to twist Scott's arm too much to get him to book with us too!

Tempting it is, indeed. I'm not 100% set to book it yet, but I'm toying with the idea. With Hawaii in October 2006 and Asia in April 2007, a cruise in January 2007 seems well-positioned in-between to alleviate the Cruise-withdrawl symptoms. :)

If you need a roomie, you know where I'll be...

BTW -- Thanks for the new Avatar too!

Thanks. I want to try and convince Christopher to join me on this one. I know what he's going to say, but I'm toying with arguments to combat him on it.

If not, I would be open to the option.

Oh ... and you're welcome. The magic of photoshop ....

:cool: Outstanding review Rev Neal We are booked for the 15th and chomping at the bit

SUNWARD, BIG RED BOAT 2, 2X, NORTHERN RANGER, NORDIK EXPRESS, ZENITH 2X, REGAL EMPRESS, KWARTHA VOYEGEUR, ROTTERDAM V 2X, MAASDAM 2X, GOLDEN PRINCESS, CARNIVAL VICTORY, CARNIVAL LEGEND, EMPRESS OF THE SEAS, QUEEN MARY2

Archived