Outbreak on Symphony of the Seas

Forecheck

I'll be intrigued on how this plays out.  The part that surprises me the most is the passenger and crew count of 6000.  Very small % of that infected, but must have been sailing at pretty near full capacity.  How the cruise line, CDC, and forthcoming booked passengers react to it will be interesting.  Panic or calm?  Not sure what I would do if I was booked on that ship in near future.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

I'll be intrigued on how this plays out.  The part that surprises me the most is the passenger and crew count of 6000.  Very small % of that infected, but must have been sailing at pretty near full capacity.  How the cruise line, CDC, and forthcoming booked passengers react to it will be interesting.  Panic or calm?  Not sure what I would do if I was booked on that ship in near future.

Google says capacity is 9000. 

So many CC members have expressed the view that the safest place to be is on a cruise ship. With the negative test and full vaccination requirements, there was a definite logic to that belief. Sadly, with Omicron there are now so many breakthrough cases being reported on land of people who are fully vaccinated and who have received their booster shot still catching COVID, it was only a matter of time before cruises would also be affected. 

While RCI may be the biggest loser, I think that all lines will see increased cancellations because of this unfortunate outbreak.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So many CC members have expressed the view that the safest place to be is on a cruise ship. With the negative test and full vaccination requirements, there was a definite logic to that belief. Sadly, with Omicron there are now so many breakthrough cases being reported on land of people who are fully vaccinated and who have received their booster shot still catching COVID, it was only a matter of time before cruises would also be affected. 

While RCI may be the biggest loser, I think that all lines will see increased cancellations because of this unfortunate outbreak.

Do you think the reintroduction of mandatory masks will help here?  I know if we end up sailing Jan.19th I will be wearing mine - already was, but for sure now with Omicron.  I also hope with lower passenger numbers the tables will be spaced apart for dining.  The few people I know who have cruised recently said that was not the case - the next table was a close as ever.  I am all for taking extra measures but when I am vulnerable (no mask at dinner) I would hope the cruise line is doing the same.  

39 minutes ago, melbrook said:

Do you think the reintroduction of mandatory masks will help here?  I know if we end up sailing Jan.19th I will be wearing mine - already was, but for sure now with Omicron.  I also hope with lower passenger numbers the tables will be spaced apart for dining.  The few people I know who have cruised recently said that was not the case - the next table was a close as ever.  I am all for taking extra measures but when I am vulnerable (no mask at dinner) I would hope the cruise line is doing the same.  

I think that every little bit helps, but I'm not sure that mandatory masks are the solution by themselves. Far too many poorly made, poorly fitting and improperly worn masks, with many US passengers unhappy with the concept of wearing masks. This news item if almost laughable with respect to the protagonist, but when others walked off in support, you know there's a greater problem: https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/florida-man-kicked-off-flight-after-trying-to-wear-women-s-underwear-as-a-face-mask-1.5713490 

FWIW, DW and I have recently switched to KN95 masks for daily use as a result of Omicron. If we don't cancel our March cruise, we'll be wearing them onboard too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I think that every little bit helps, but I'm not sure that mandatory masks are the solution by themselves. Far too many poorly made, poorly fitting and improperly worn masks, with many US passengers unhappy with the concept of wearing masks. This news item if almost laughable with respect to the protagonist, but when others walked off in support, you know there's a greater problem: https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/florida-man-kicked-off-flight-after-trying-to-wear-women-s-underwear-as-a-face-mask-1.5713490 

FWIW, DW and I have recently switched to KN95 masks for daily use as a result of Omicron. If we don't cancel our March cruise, we'll be wearing them onboard too.

i have to wonder if they all knew each other?

A follow up by one of the positive tested passengers about how they were handled upon return to their arrival port would be welcome

Where were they quarantined? How long?

Did the cruise line pay?

Did RCCL pay for their flight home if rebooking took place?

20 hours ago, melbrook said:

We have a mask mandate at my work and the recent discussion has shifted to the fact that with Omicron, cloth masks are not effective.  The recommendation is medical masks.  Enforcement of mask mandates is so so so difficult.  And to add the medical mask requirement on top.  
I'm not sure how much even going with the medical mask mandate would lower the risk.  A little, but enough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

We have a mask mandate at my work and the recent discussion has shifted to the fact that with Omicron, cloth masks are not effective.  The recommendation is medical masks.  Enforcement of mask mandates is so so so difficult.  And to add the medical mask requirement on top.  
I'm not sure how much even going with the medical mask mandate would lower the risk.  A little, but enough?

I am required to wear masks all day at work and my employer supplies 3 layer, filtered masks.  They did approve cloth for a bit but that was short lived.  We bought N95 masks that fit very snug around our entire nose/mouth area for our first plane ride/vacation back in October - I definitely felt a difference and we wear those exclusively now.  Seeing the public all day long I am amazed at the condition of masks.  I see people wearing masks that look like they are from March 2020 - when I notice them I try to offer them a fresh mask to help them out.  Somehow there is a sense of comfort just having anything strapped to your face and sadly that is the farthest from the truth.  The baggy mask, the one below the nose, under the chin...frayed from over use - they may as well not bother (which is honestly what they hope for I suppose).

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, melbrook said:

I am required to wear masks all day at work and my employer supplies 3 layer, filtered masks.  They did approve cloth for a bit but that was short lived.  We bought N95 masks that fit very snug around our entire nose/mouth area for our first plane ride/vacation back in October - I definitely felt a difference and we wear those exclusively now.  Seeing the public all day long I am amazed at the condition of masks.  I see people wearing masks that look like they are from March 2020 - when I notice them I try to offer them a fresh mask to help them out.  Somehow there is a sense of comfort just having anything strapped to your face and sadly that is the farthest from the truth.  The baggy mask, the one below the nose, under the chin...frayed from over use - they may as well not bother (which is honestly what they hope for I suppose).

Yes!

Requiring a certain type of mask is one thing if you are going to provide it.  But if you don't provide it now you are not just policing mask wearing but you are policing the mask itself.

And then there is the issue of supply.  When this originally broke out, they advised against medical masks because there wasn't enough supply and they wanted to prioritize access for health care.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

Yes!

Requiring a certain type of mask is one thing if you are going to provide it.  But if you don't provide it now you are not just policing mask wearing but you are policing the mask itself.

And then there is the issue of supply.  When this originally broke out, they advised against medical masks because there wasn't enough supply and they wanted to prioritize access for health care.  

Agreed...we have learned a lot about Covid since Feb/2020.  I still remember when they said we didn't need masks at all!  🤦🏻‍♀️

I have faith in the science and when they say the better the mask the less risk, I am all in.  I don't get the impression the general public is required to wear a certain mask - they're just seeing what is out there and telling people it's not effective.   Given what I see I can't argue otherwise.

The new supply issue in Canada are rapid tests...it's 2020 toilet paper all over again - sold out, being resold for ridiculous profits.  Very sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melbrook said:

Agreed...we have learned a lot about Covid since Feb/2020.  I still remember when they said we didn't need masks at all!  🤦🏻‍♀️

I have faith in the science and when they say the better the mask the less risk, I am all in.  I don't get the impression the general public is required to wear a certain mask - they're just seeing what is out there and telling people it's not effective.   Given what I see I can't argue otherwise.

The new supply issue in Canada are rapid tests...it's 2020 toilet paper all over again - sold out, being resold for ridiculous profits.  Very sad.

Sorry I was referring to the idea of requiring medical masks on a cruise and the challenges with it. 

and yes, rapid test availability is something else we are struggling with at work. 

50 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Sorry I was referring to the idea of requiring medical masks on a cruise and the challenges with it. 

and yes, rapid test availability is something else we are struggling with at work. 

Oh jeez...imagine that nightmare?  I've been yelled at 3x already today for asking clients to wear their mask.  I do not envy anyone in the service or hospitality business (in particular when alcohol is involved) as they simply try to follow the rules.  I understand not everyone agrees or feels it's against their rights - but that is the not the fault of server/flight attendant/cashier who take the brunt of it.  I feel for the people working on a cruise with a renewed mask policy and disgruntled passengers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobpell said:

Alas I just perused an article the Koningsdam was turned away from Puerto Vallarta due to onboard covid cases

Ship number 4...

Hopefully the new year will bring about a change

Bob

Unfortunately, the change will likely be an increasing number of ships hit with Covid before we see a decline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outbreak is 2 or more cases, so our dec 19 to 26 Oasis cruise had 1% of crew/cruisers catch covid (my assumption is 60-70)...so another outbreak l. Captain announced it at the last night dinner.

Edited by xcell

The next 2-3 months you wouldn't catch me on a cruise ship. With the case counts as high as they are in some of the states, Florida as an example. There will always be people out there that do not/ will not take this seriously so covid will be with us for awhile.  We're already thinking of cancelling our Jul cruise to the Med. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 8:41 AM, bobpell said:

A follow up by one of the positive tested passengers about how they were handled upon return to their arrival port would be welcome

Where were they quarantined? How long?

Did the cruise line pay?

Did RCCL pay for their flight home if rebooking took place?

We were not on this ship, but my son tested positive on the Allure Dec 19-23.  PCR tests were available on the last morning.  We booked our appointment at 10:30 on the last sea day.  At 11:30 I got an e-mail that he was negative.  Mine and DWs came at 12:30 (which we were slightly concerned about).  I checked into our Westjet flights for departure day and filled out the ArriveCAN app.  About 4:00pm, my son said they phoned the room and told him to stay there and contact us.  My name was also announced over the ship's PA.  From here it got a bit crazy.  We returned to the room and the phones kept ringing with everyone wanting information, but they didn't seem to co-ordinate.  We had two phones in the room and they both were ringing (even when one was in use), it was impossible to co-ordinate between people.  We were told to pack and he would be moved to the quarantine room (one of us had to go as he is 17 - although they said it was recommended, it was required).  After 7, they came and got him.  My wife went with him to a porthole cabin on 3 set up with 1 king bed.  She had to split the beds (she was negative at this point), so they could get a bit of distance.  As I was also negative, I was allowed to stay in our original room, but could not leave.

After 9:00pm, someone from guest services called me and told me we would be taken off the ship between 8:45am and 9:00 and taken to a hotel by the Miami Airport.  There we would speak to a Royal liaison about further plans.

I tried to cancel the Westjet flights, but could not do it in the app or online.  When we got to port the next morning, I was on hold for 2.5 hours with Westjet and still couldn't get through.  I have a call-back today to see if I can get a refund.

There was a power outage in the terminal that morning, so things were a bit screwed up, but we were pretty much last off the ship after 10:00am.  I met them in a private SUV which took us to a hotel in Miami.  We were dropped before 11:00 and entered through the back door and brought to our room.  It had one king bed, so they had to get us a second room.  We put our son alone in one room and us in the other.  We were given an envelope with menus in it and an internet password and a hand written number for the "Care Team".  We ordered lunch (which came without silverware which was never sent) and waited.

We tried to phone the "Care Team" from our hotel room, but the phone wouldn't connect.  The front desk was no help here, so we turned on our cell phones and tried again.  We phoned about 6 times and left at least three messages with no replies.  We at least wanted to know a plan (were we expected to stay there or were they trying to get us home).

They only thing I got from the front desk was that our reservation was 10 days and none of us were allowed to leave the rooms (although the CDC says fully vaccinated close contacts without symptoms do not need to isolate).  We were free to check out.

At about 5pm, we decided that since we had 2 negative tests, it would probably be best to get to the border before those expired (7am Christmas Day - although we got the tests after 10:00, they were marked 7am).  We found a car rental from MIA to BUF and then a different car rental from BUF to YYZ (where our car was parked).  We drove straight through (24 hours to BUF), switched cars and drove to YYZ (through Fort Erie) then home.  My son used outside facilities and stayed in the car for the rest of the time.  We paid at the pump and used drive-thrus for food.  We stayed masked the entire time (including in the car), for everyone's protection.

At this point, we only gave Royal 6 hours and I'm sure they were overwhelmed, but I am extremely disappointed in their service.  I would have hoped for at least a call back.  They may have been arranging something in the background or not, we will never know.  We just had to do what was best for our family and we were dealing with a time limitation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1