Death on the Seashore

missthesea

We just had 3 emergency blasts at dinner, then the captain came on “Man overboard starboard side”. Many went to help look for him and saw something awful. Looked like a body on Deck 8. Unclear what happened but pray for his/her family. We were all sent to our cabins. 

• Like 1

Update:

The captain announced.. there was a incident with a fellow passenger.. the situation is under control.. the ship will continue to Miami.. where authorities will enter the ship to investigate.. Passengers may exit their cabin.

Edited by SirWolf

57 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

UPDATE:  during disembarkation the Marshalls arrested someone.... for an outstanding warrant. WHAT a cruise!

Doomed from the start it seems.
I know this happens more than we probably know on cruises but the tragic death of that young man, Covid cases climbing and then top it off seeing someone placed under arrest had to be a “*****?” moment for passengers. 

I have to be honest, I’m suddenly not excited about boarding that ship in 16 days and I’ve never felt like this before a cruise. 
Not sure what to do at this point but we’ll wait it out and see what it’s like in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

I went to the port side of deck 20 when the “man overboard “ announcement was made. I saw the young man on the promenade deck on his back. Sadly, I don’t think he fell, probably jumped. He was too far from the balcony to have simply fallen. 

13 minutes ago, Monster56 said:

I went to the port side of deck 20 when the “man overboard “ announcement was made. I saw the young man on the promenade deck on his back. Sadly, I don’t think he fell, probably jumped. He was too far from the balcony to have simply fallen. 

By "too far", do you mean more towards the water or do you mean forward/aft?

I understand that it is all speculation at this point but being familiar with Seaside's view down from deck 16, I'm trying to paint a mental picture of what others actually saw. I realize that it was dark at the time. 

He was apparently on deck 16 in yacht club. No public spaces here just balconies. These balconies are a good 18-20’ from the water. He landed in the middle of the promenade right in front of gym treadmills port side I would guess 15 ‘ from balcony. I did hear the family had been arguing. 

1 minute ago, Monster56 said:

He was apparently on deck 16 in yacht club. No public spaces here just balconies. These balconies are a good 18-20’ from the water. He landed in the middle of the promenade right in front of gym treadmills port side I would guess 15 ‘ from balcony. I did hear the family had been arguing. 

Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure if his balcony was before or after the bump-out (16043 on Seashore). I saw the post from "cruzccl" and tried to figure from there where he landed. I haven't sailed Seashore but know the gym location/treadmills and the similarly with Seaside.

Your details are very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Monster56 said:

It was reported on another site that his sister said he jumped

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

By "too far", do you mean more towards the water or do you mean forward/aft?

I understand that it is all speculation at this point but being familiar with Seaside's view down from deck 16, I'm trying to paint a mental picture of what others actually saw. I realize that it was dark at the time. 

I was in Top Sail Lounge at the time of “Man overboard port side” emergency announcement.. went outside with a few other passengers.. Deck 8 has dim light.. crew members were rushing to the scene to help.

4-5 crew used flash lights and light from cell phone cameras. Medical personal arrived quickly with stretcher.. minimum of 15 staff on deck in a matter of minutes.. they quickly covered the body with a white tarp. In another announcement passengers were ordered to go to their cabin. They secured the scene with a white YC tent and shades on all sides. The tent was guarded by crew members all night.

The description of the location is correct. Deck 8 port side outside the gym.

• Like 1

So sad. My husband, myself, and mother in law are sailing this current trip in the YC aboard the Seashore, on the 16th deck. This incident makes me so sad.

RIP. Prayers of healing for the family 

Edited by acen2008
  • Like 2