Jacques Pepin is on a Christmas Oceania Cruise

SLSD

I am so jealous.  I just read that Jacque Pepin is on an Oceania Cruise and will be giving a couple of cooking classes.  He is such a treasure.  He just celebrated his 86th birthday.  All through the pandemic, I have enjoyed in cooking videos on Facebook.  I have tried many of his recipes and all have been wonderful.  Those of you who get to meet him and see his classes are SO fortunate!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I am so jealous.  I just read that Jacque Pepin is on an Oceania Cruise and will be giving a couple of cooking classes.  He is such a treasure.  He just celebrated his 86th birthday.  All through the pandemic, I have enjoyed in cooking videos on Facebook.  I have tried many of his recipes and all have been wonderful.  Those of you who get to meet him and see his classes are SO fortunate!

C418041E-AA66-43B2-B43A-D077D0A25C22.jpeg

• Like 6

I was just about to come on and post about this.  We're aboard now and hoping to get a chance to attend one of his classes.  Book signing and presentation scheduled for tomorrow afternoon - a nice unexpected Christmas present!  Ate at Jacques last night, but didn't see him there.

1 hour ago, pilgrimage said:

I was just about to come on and post about this.  We're aboard now and hoping to get a chance to attend one of his classes.  Book signing and presentation scheduled for tomorrow afternoon - a nice unexpected Christmas present!  Ate at Jacques last night, but didn't see him there.

Find out which culinary center class he may visit and book it.

13 hours ago, pilgrimage said:

We were on a JP cruise in Sept of 2019, down the north size of France, from Amsterdam to Lisbon by way of Bordeaux. We just happened to be eating in Jacques the night he and his family were eating in there. I really wanted to know what he was having, but unlike the boorish fellow that interrupted his dinner and asked him to take a picture with he and his wife I just kept wondering. 

The time to ask to take a picture is when you're at a book signing buying his book, not while he's enjoying dinner with his family. Or at a Culinary Class. He was gracious about it though. 

We also had a very entertaining presentation in the Lounge by he and his wife(did I read she recently died?). 

Edited by ORV

Looks like the culinary classes are all booked - they were already booked online prior to the cruise and I assume any additional openings booked on the first day.  Turns out they are not cooking this cruise, only demonstrating.

Certainly, I would not interrupt him during family or work time - I'll plan to attend today's presentation and perhaps I'll be fortunate enough to see some demonstration later in the cruise.

Yes, his wife passed away last year.

21 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

Looks like the culinary classes are all booked - they were already booked online prior to the cruise and I assume any additional openings booked on the first day.  Turns out they are not cooking this cruise, only demonstrating.

Certainly, I would not interrupt him during family or work time - I'll plan to attend today's presentation and perhaps I'll be fortunate enough to see some demonstration later in the cruise.

Yes, his wife passed away last year.

One evening (on the cruise where we met him), he and his family dined at the large round table  on the port side of the Terrace Café. Though we certainly wouldn’t bother him while dining, I took a surprised interest in the wines he brought to dinner. They were mostly Rosés.

For the longest time I had avoided “pink wine” (you know- like the sugar bomb swill Sutter Home White Zinfandel). But, I came away thinking: “he knows something i don’t.” And so, my quest for a great Rosé began....

FWIW: Martin Ray (Santa Rosa, CA) or Navarro (Philo, CA) Rosé of Pinot Noir are now often served at our home.

BTW: Jacques’ wife’s name was Gloria.

Here’s a little “Jacques trivia”:

In 1961, after Pépin had declined an offer from John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy to serve as chef at the White House, Howard Johnson, a regular Le Pavillon customer, hired him to work alongside fellow Frenchman Pierre Franey to develop food lines for his chain of Howard Johnson's restaurants.

• Like 2

Classic Pepin - "drink more wine, it helps"

He said he hadn't flown in 2 years and got an offer to come on when one of the suites became available at the last minute.  Here with the family, including his granddaughter.

Sorry for the poor audio/video quality.  I was a little rushed setting up and in the back of the theatre.

Edited by pilgrimage
  • Like 1

We were also on with Jacques & wife Gloria in September 2019 for a wonderful Marina cruise from Amsterdam to Lisbon visiting France along the way. We loved Jacques’ cooking demos witch were assisted by Gloria, who lovingly reminded him of the next steps to take  in his demonstrations. Unfortunately, Gloria died a year later what a wonderful couple. Here are a couple of photos…

image.thumb.jpeg.90a86067ffc4820d7e4da7ae408e3cbf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1df6afa6cb7b2b2208d26a0f956df68a.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...