Booster 7 days

ShrinkinTexas

4 hours ago, ShrinkinTexas said:

Sailing in 6 days but Carnival recommends booster 7 days prior to travel.  Anyone know why?  Thinking of getting mine tomorrow.

It’s a strong recommendation from the CDC, it is Not required for cruise travel (Yet)

Fred

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Cunard and P&O two carnival companies already require the booster. 

It’s going to happen here in the US sooner or later. Just off my cruise so I will give it some time before I know for a fact I’m not infected. So far 3 days since I left the cruise terminal and I’m still fine. Probably after 7 days I will get my booster. I got to say that those N95 masks really do the job.

Fred

• Like 1

DH and I just received our Moderna booster shots last Thursday and were told it takes 2 weeks for the booster to be fully engaged. I don't know about Pfizer, etc. boosters and their timelines. Our next cruise is on Jan. 16th on the Pride.

I understand the boosters are not a requirement just yet but I am unclear on how a booster works.  I just got my shots (last one 2 weeks ago).  Are you covered for like say 6 months before you need a booster or even if you just got your shot 2 weeks before sailing are you supposed to get a booster shot all the same?  Sorry I am not pro-vac and only got shot to sail on cruise so very uneducated on the booster....TIA

1 hour ago, famof4togo said:

I understand the boosters are not a requirement just yet but I am unclear on how a booster works.  I just got my shots (last one 2 weeks ago).  Are you covered for like say 6 months before you need a booster or even if you just got your shot 2 weeks before sailing are you supposed to get a booster shot all the same?  Sorry I am not pro-vac and only got shot to sail on cruise so very uneducated on the booster....TIA

when you get the vaccine, your body takes about 2 weeks for the immune system to build up to it's full response of around 75%.  The second dose takes the percentage up to 90% - 95% (possibly).  After the first and second shots, the effectiveness begins to wain over time.  At 8 months, there is only about a 25% protection from hospitalization and no protection from actually contracting the virus.  The booster shot just increases the protection that has dropped over time.  Nobody is really sure if the booster really helps prevent infection for sure.  There are indications it does, but nobody really knows for how long at this point.  The booster can only be taken after a certain amount of time from the 2nd dose of Pfizer / Moderna or the 1st dose of J&J.  What is known is that those who have had vaccines or natural immunity have a VERY low risk of hospitalization.  

Ok so just so I am sure I understand completely....it is advised that one receives a booster shot between 6-12 months after the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine.  So therefore, if I am sailing only 3+ months after my 2nd dose then I do NOT need to get a booster...correct?

35 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

Ok so just so I am sure I understand completely....it is advised that one receives a booster shot between 6-12 months after the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine.  So therefore, if I am sailing only 3+ months after my 2nd dose then I do NOT need to get a booster...correct?

That is currently correct. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, famof4togo said:

You do not have to apologize for getting your 2 vaccinations. No need to say you are sorry or to give an excuse as to why you are vaccinated.

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Cunard and P&O two carnival companies already require the booster. 

I'm guessing that Carnival will not be too far behind, especially given that the CDC basically changed the definition of "fully vaccinated" today.  My wife and I cruise in January.  I already told my wife that before our next cruise in April, the booster would probably be required.  She just had Covid and was told that she cannot get the booster for at least three months.  Not sure how that will work.

9 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I'm guessing that Carnival will not be too far behind, especially given that the CDC basically changed the definition of "fully vaccinated" today.  My wife and I cruise in January.  I already told my wife that before our next cruise in April, the booster would probably be required.  She just had Covid and was told that she cannot get the booster for at least three months.  Not sure how that will work.

We were never asked when we got our boosters whether we had had Covid.

DW mentioned recently some time frame (I don't remember exactly how long) that you should not get the booster after contracting Covid. She said this after her brother who had had his booster 6 days prior ended up in the ICU. She thinks he must have contracted it sometime in that 6 day period. Last we heard, he is doing better, but it will take time.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We were never asked when we got our boosters whether we had had Covid.

DW mentioned recently some time frame (I don't remember exactly how long) that you should not get the booster after contracting Covid. She said this after her brother who had had his booster 6 days prior ended up in the ICU. She thinks he must have contracted it sometime in that 6 day period. Last we heard, he is doing better, but it will take time.

I’ve heard of numerous people around here that had major issues after the booster, including my brother. He said that it was just as bad as when he had Covid over a year ago. I spoke with a lady yesterday who is convinced that it was the booster that caused her mother’s death less than a week after getting it.

My wife was told by her doctor when getting treatment for Covid not to get the booster for at least three months.