Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

12 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I had a bit of a shock when shopping in a British supermarket many years ago and came across an entree titled “Four Frozen Faggots in Gravy.” 😳 I think it may have been meatballs. My British hosts couldn’t figure out why I was doubled over laughing in the frozen food aisle. 

Now THAT must have been hilarious!

Live from the Star - Today already marks the beginning of month #2 of our voyage after embarking in Fort Lauderdale on December 24th. It has gone by so quickly! I never thought I would say that!

We have met great new friends on board and been incredibly spoiled by the crew! The first month was about 2/3rds sea days, but we are resting up for the last two months that will be a whirlwind. I really appreciate the blogs by Rose/Ted and Garry Kolb as they are much better at documenting what is happening than I am. For those who have booked a future world cruise you should get very excited as it has already been outstanding and a far different experience than on a regular cruise. I think one of the best things about a world cruise is the opportunity to get to know the crew, to make new friends, and as one of the servers said to me in the Atrium: "everyone has found their place on board - where they are comfortable and happy." Looking forward to our second month on board!

• Like 18

20 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise day 31/152 - Puntarenas, Costa Rica again - one month in, and it's a croc!

I love your blog: your descriptions, photos and sense of humor! Thank you for sharing with us. Thank you again for removing the black background. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. Enjoy every moment. I look forward to more postings!

We have sailed 6 times with Viking ocean for as long as 30 days and have never been served the food you have pictures of on your cruise. Our longest cruise was a leg of the 2020 World Cruise. The food was always delicious but no Tomahawk steaks, lobster was served only once and definitely not the variety you have to choose from. Lucky you.

Edited by Insanityx4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

We have sailed 6 times with Viking ocean for as long as 30 days and have never been served the food you have pictures of on your cruise. Our longest cruise was a leg of the 2020 World Cruise. The food was always delicious but no Tomahawk steaks, lobster was served only once and definitely not the variety you have to choose from. Lucky you.

I eat steak very rarely, so a Tomahawk steak doesn't interest me except for one thing: Why is it called a "Tomahawk"?

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

I eat steak very rarely, so a Tomahawk steak doesn't interest me except for one thing: Why is it called a "Tomahawk"?

Because it loosely resembles a “tomahawk”?

01A61C29-990A-4CCF-9F5E-5921FCA28236.jpeg

91A35739-6082-4A40-B8C4-020836C80EC2.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Haha 3

FYI, the Panama Canal is not owned nor operated by the Chinese. Our poor tour guide had to answer this question six times today on our tour. A Chinese corporation operates the two ports and the connecting railroad. The ports in LA and Long Beach are operated by a foreign company. The Canal is run by the Panamanians and will be for ever. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:10 AM, Buckwheel said:

Great blog post. You asked for help identifying some of your birds… Your “little blue heron” appears to be a black crowned night heron and your “hawk” looks like a snail kite. We have both of them here in Florida. 😁

updated - thanks!

On 1/21/2022 at 12:34 PM, PeabodyMa said:

Kolbs Blog is fascinating, but removing the black background would be so much better.

Thanks for calling it "fascinating", and your wish is my command.  Done. (My wife agreed) 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:10 AM, Buckwheel said:

Great blog post. You asked for help identifying some of your birds… Your “little blue heron” appears to be a black crowned night heron and your “hawk” looks like a snail kite. We have both of them here in Florida. 😁

On 1/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, stilltrucking said:

Great bird photos.  Wish I were there!  I think your "great blue heron" is an agami heron, and the tiger heron is a fasciated tiger heron.  Concur with Buckwheel on the BC night heron and snail kite.  Thanks again

Thanks!  I updated where we had a consensus.

8 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 33/152 - Fuerte Amador (Panama City), Panama - Hey, Hey we're the monkeys!

Thanks for the great photos of this excursion.  We're signed up for this one on our March 23 canal cruise which was a hard choice over the Aerial Tram excursion.  Did you talk with anyone who was on that one and any observations/feedback on differences between the two?  I'm particularly interested in seeing the wildlife of the area and which excursion would be better for that.

48 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Thanks for the great photos of this excursion.  We're signed up for this one on our March 23 canal cruise which was a hard choice over the Aerial Tram excursion.  Did you talk with anyone who was on that one and any observations/feedback on differences between the two?  I'm particularly interested in seeing the wildlife of the area and which excursion would be better for that.

We are not on the WC now, but we did the Aerial Tram excursion in December.  It was a good excursion overall for us because we had never been to or walked through a rain forest before...but... the bus ride there and back is an hour each way.  We saw monkeys and sloths in the distance but not close enough for any real up close photos.  I go into all excursions like this with low expectations because no one can predict or promise the wildlife.  We really saw no wildlife that made the day memorable.  It may be different for you - different day - different month.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

We are not on the WC now, but we did the Aerial Tram excursion in December.  It was a good excursion overall for us because we had never been to or walked through a rain forest before...but... the bus ride there and back is an hour each way.  We saw monkeys and sloths in the distance but not close enough for any real up close photos.  I go into all excursions like this with low expectations because no one can predict or promise the wildlife.  We really saw no wildlife that made the day memorable.  It may be different for you - different day - different month.

Thank you.  Yes, anytime you're on that type of excursion there's a chance that the wildlife will chose to be elusive and you have to hope for the best.  I was just curious which one might have the better odds.

8 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

GK, Such beautiful photos, NatGeo, PBS Nature quality.  May I ask, what kind of camera do you have?  I would think you are a professional photographer!  Thanks again, I look forward to, and appreciate your daily updates

Thanks for the compliments, and I'm just an avid amateur. I used to have a side gig doing mostly sports action photos before I retired. I sold all my gear and downsized to a bridge superzoom camera, a Sony RX10-IV as a pocket camera didn't cut it with all the wildlife we have in central Florida.

We have been told on several excursions in Costa Rica and Panama that the best times for wildlife sightings are early morning or evening. Unfortunately, the ship excursions are in the middle of the day. We enjoyed the ride above the forest but did not see any wildlife. The rain forest did have beautiful lush vegetation. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 32/152 - Sea Day - Month #2 - It's the people that make the trip

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/01/world-cruise-day-31152-sea-day-month-2.html

How can I see older posts on your blog?  I am trying to catch up from the last week and old format had a tab to see previous post, but now that is gone?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Diveloonie said:

How can I see older posts on your blog?  I am trying to catch up from the last week and old format had a tab to see previous post, but now that is gone?

It depends on where you're reading it. On a PC, at the bottom of each post is a link called Older Posts. On mobile devices, typically, at the top, there is a back (left) arrow next to the title that takes you to the blog home. Click the three lines in the upper left for a month archive list.  Hope this helps and thanks for reading.