Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

I feel sad for the crew as they are not allowed off the ship. I can not imagine being stuck on a ship that is going around the world and not being allowed to get off. Only time will tell if Viking made the right decision to go forward with the WC and if we made the right decision to stay onboard. 

• Like 1

I told @Heidi13 that I might weigh more than an anchor by the time this cruise is over.  Last night was tomahawk steak dinner night and consequently, I'm getting a good start on that anchor-weight!

Before:

41CE57D2-672B-4F1A-B1FA-545DE8BAD009_1_201_a.heic

After: 

7A592534-CC4D-4885-8608-A7E704D9090F.heic

To offset the calorie intake, I walked the deck.  According to my Apple walked 7.9 miles... in 50 minutes.  So that equates to me walking at a pace of 9.5 miles per hour or 6 minutes and 20 seconds per mile.  Trust me... I can't even sprint that fast for 100m, much less for nearly 8 miles.  That was 6 laps on deck 8/9 and a couple more laps on deck 2.  So it was really more like a mile and a half actually walked.  My watch was clearly picking up the movement of the ship as well... Do I get to count that since I'm on vacation?

Edited by UWDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, UWDawg said:

I told @Heidi13 that I might weigh more than an anchor by the time this cruise is over.  Last night was tomahawk steak dinner night and consequently, I'm getting a good start on that anchor-weight!

Before:

41CE57D2-672B-4F1A-B1FA-545DE8BAD009_1_201_a.heic 3.27 MB · 42 downloads

After: 

7A592534-CC4D-4885-8608-A7E704D9090F.heic 3.33 MB · 26 downloads

To offset the calorie intake, I walked the deck.  According to my Apple walked 7.9 miles... in 50 minutes.  So that equates to me walking at a pace of 9.5 miles per hour or 6 minutes and 20 seconds per mile.  Trust me... I can't even sprint that fast for 100m, much less for nearly 8 miles.  That was 6 laps on deck 8/9 and a couple more laps on deck 2.  So it was really more like a mile and a half actually walked.  My watch was clearly picking up the movement of the ship as well... Do I get to count that since I'm on vacation?

Nice wee steak. Disappointed you didn't clean the plate. Left a wee bit of lemon.😁 

Great to see they started the WC  Tomahawk steak tradition so early in the cruise. Hopefully you will get a couple more evenings. Enjoy Cabo tomorrow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UWDawg said:

Before:

41CE57D2-672B-4F1A-B1FA-545DE8BAD009_1_201_a.heic 3.27 MB · 55 downloads

After: 

7A592534-CC4D-4885-8608-A7E704D9090F.heic 3.33 MB · 33 downloads

LOL my husband noticed that anomoly walking the deck on our TA.

• Like 1

The food certainly looks up to standard.  Cabo visitors say hello to Captain Tony's Grill at the marina.  Great drinks & food and a crew favorite.  Cabo can be quite nice if one takes the time to get away from the general area the tenders dock and the tour busses pick up.  🍺  As to all the sea days you really have to have the idea that you have moved to the ship.  You live there.  A nice waterfront village.  The ship is the trip so to speak.  This was illustrated on the Inaugural WC when some pax left around one month in.  Just didn't like the confinement and just weren't into being on a ship at sea.  And well before covid crazy.  We miss our cozy waterfront flat and especially miss our excellent staff.  Had to take me own garbage out yesterday!😱🍺

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Aquadesiac said:

I have been reading your daily blog. It is so well done. I love your pictures and your attitude.

I wanted to leave a message but don't know how to do it on your blog. 

Be arrused I read yours and two others every day. They are such a wonderful part of my day while living in the frigid North.

But will be in tropical Dominican Republic for 9 days  beginning later this  week and will continue following your WC.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

I noted some errors on todays blog post with respect to the propulsion system fitted to the Viking ships.

The Viking ships do not have an Azipod system of propulsion. They have 2 Rolls-Royce Promass integrated propeller/rudder systems with additional bow thrusters and a stern thruster. The propellers are 6 bladed and I believe the rudders are high-lift with a trailing flap.

Propellers do not rotate and are also fixed pitch.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I noted some errors on todays blog post with respect to the propulsion system fitted to the Viking ships.

The Viking ships do not have an Azipod system of propulsion. They have 2 Rolls-Royce Promass integrated propeller/rudder systems with additional bow thrusters and a stern thruster. The propellers are 6 bladed and I believe the rudders are high-lift with a trailing flap.

Propellers do not rotate and are also fixed pitch.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:20 AM, TayanaLorna said:

LOL my husband noticed that anomoly walking the deck on our TA.

Yesterday, while in port at Cabo, I was able to more accurately measure the distance while the ship was anchored.  One lap around on deck 8 and taking the stairs up/down on deck 9 comes out to 0.20 miles.  So 5 laps will give me a mile, as opposed to deck 2, where 4 laps will give me a mile.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UWDawg said:

Yesterday, while in port at Cabo, I was able to more accurately measure the distance while the ship was anchored.  One lap around on deck 8 and taking the stairs up/down on deck 9 comes out to 0.20 miles.  So 5 laps will give me a mile, as opposed to deck 2, where 4 laps will give me a mile.  

Better work out with the stairs and a better view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Ha propellers do rotate hence the thrust. They don’t swing in the fashion of the Azipod. But then I knew what you were saying, even with the wee accent.🍺🍺

Right, if the props do not rotate, how does the ship go.  So the props do not rotate in their angle of pitch since the pitch is fixed.  Think the Kolbs should consult with you guys on matters of ship. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Right, if the props do not rotate, how does the ship go.  So the props do not rotate in their angle of pitch since the pitch is fixed.  Think the Kolbs should consult with you guys on matters of ship. 🙂

As told by Vicki the Cruise Director, “ship happens”.😎🍺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1