Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

10 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Right, if the props do not rotate, how does the ship go.  So the props do not rotate in their angle of pitch since the pitch is fixed.  Think the Kolbs should consult with you guys on matters of ship. 🙂

Exactly where did I state that propellers do not rotate? I understand that the source what I had read that Viking ships use Azipods was in incorrect and updated the blog with Heidi13's correction. But seriously, why be rude? I never said propellers don't rotate 

6 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

Exactly where did I state that propellers do not rotate? I understand that the source what I had read that Viking ships use Azipods was in incorrect and updated the blog with Heidi13's correction. But seriously, why be rude? I never said propellers don't rotate 

I believe TL was answering my post which was having a bit of fun with Andy. I did not get the impression she was referring to you at all.🍺

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

Not you.  Heidi13 in post #343 did in last sentence.  I was responding to Jim Avery post #344 in response to Heidi 13 with a sense of humor I thought.

• Like 1

Last night we had a party for the Cruise Critic Album members. I asked Johann, our GM, if he thought we could do this even with Covid protocols in place. Fortunately the case count is way down and things are going well (fingers crossed) so we were allowed to have this get together.

I want to thank @Heidi13 for helping me get started with the album for this cruise way back in 2020. It was so nice of Viking, Johann our GM, Chris, our Financial Officer, Olav, our captain, and Mara, our guest services manager (who helped me with the invites), to put this on for us. It was held at the Aquavit Terrace, Deck 7 aft, just before sunset in Cabo just before and during the sail away. We had cocktails and hors d'oeuvres and roughly 100 people attended. It was a great way to meet everyone who we emailed and corresponded with for so many months and we really enjoyed it. The captain gave a speech and King played guitar for us. Viking is really fantastic and pulling out all the stops for us on this World Cruise.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.30.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.37.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.36.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.36.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.35.47 AM.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

Last night we had a party for the Cruise Critic Album members. I asked Johann, our GM, if he thought we could do this even with Covid protocols in place. Fortunately the case count is way down and things are going well (fingers crossed) so we were allowed to have this get together.

I want to thank @Heidi13 for helping me get started with the album for this cruise way back in 2020. It was so nice of Viking, Johann our GM, Chris, our Financial Officer, Olav, our captain, and Mara, our guest services manager (who helped me with the invites), to put this on for us. It was held at the Aquavit Terrace, Deck 7 aft, just before sunset in Cabo just before and during the sail away. We had cocktails and hors d'oeuvres and roughly 100 people attended. It was a great way to meet everyone who we emailed and corresponded with for so many months and we really enjoyed it. The captain gave a speech and King played guitar for us. Viking is really fantastic and pulling out all the stops for us on this World Cruise.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.30.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.37.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.36.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.36.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 10.35.47 AM.png

Thanks Jim - please say hi to Chris, as he was one of the FO's we had on Viking Sun. Hope to see him as GM before too long.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

The Azipods you mentioned in today's post are fitted to Viking Line's newbuilding, which departed the Chinese yard last month. BTW - Viking Line is a Ro/Pax ferry company based in Finland, and is a totally different company from Viking Ocean/River Cruises. They operate in the Baltic.

4 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

A group of intrepid travelers venturing off to the vast unknown? Yes, off to a Mexican Walmart. A70203E7-4672-4BC1-8133-B95E72739685.thumb.jpeg.f5708dec378efdbf1f5af97326279be0.jpeg

Should just be across the 5 or 6 lane street to their left. There is also a Sam's there. Costco is up that street and a right about a mile or2. Hope every one is have a grand time. PV is a fun place to visit.

Edited by Travelerstory

3 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Interesting what you say about respect Garry

The situations you describe on your tour are exactly why I hate ships tours and prefer smaller private tours. I appreciate that us not possible just now but I must admit I would be getting fed up by the situations you describe

• Like 9

11 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Love following your blog. I also appreciate your comments on respecting others. Hopefully it gets better as time goes on.  

On another note, my bags were returned home today from luggage forward.  They spent a little time in Las Vegas but there was no cash in either bag. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

Love following your blog. I also appreciate your comments on respecting others. Hopefully it gets better as time goes on.  

On another note, my bags were returned home today from luggage forward.  They spent a little time in Las Vegas but there was no cash in either bag. 🙂

Sorry you aren't with us but happy your bags made it safely home, albeit no heavier for their stay in Vegas. 

• Like 1

Another pet peeve on bus tours is when a couple splits up and both take window seats. Also, when a fully functional couple grabs the front seat and lets a mobility impaired person go to a seat further back. That happened on our bus yesterday. 

I agree with this.  We were on the first leg from FL to LA and twice we had couples board the coach and take up two rows of seats leaving other passengers the worst seats.  Even if we board the bus first (not very often!), we leave the first two rows free for passengers less able to frequently find they are taken by able bodied passengers even if there is a sign reserving seats for disabled passengers.  Some Viking passengers need to learn basic manners.

Even in Star Theatre one day we were told to move by other passengers as they had “reserved” seats for their friends.  So we moved so as not too cause trouble but when the friends arrived they talked so loudly throughout the talk  that we were forced to move to the other side of the Theatre.

We have done many Viking Ocean cruises and have found that the more people on board the worse their behaviour.  I think you have the right amount on the WC as 500 seems to be right.  Everyone enjoy it and be considerate of others, you are neighbours for a long time and don’t want to fall out!  

• Like 1

We agree and it is why we try to always avoid bus tours.  We will do the extra cost small tours or even better private tours which usually cost less than the equivalent trip through viking.  Sadly, the covid crazy negates many of those options and, again sadly, if these same restrictions and controls are in place later this year we will be forced to cancel the next WC.

• Like 4

Really enjoying all three WC blogs.  Thanks to those authors.

Shout out to Garry and his posts about the ship.  BTW, indirectly he was correct about Azipods being used on Viking ships, just not on VO ships.  On Monday’s Viking.tv presentation about Viking Octantis, they showed a brief clip of some type of control/monitoring board for the brand new ABB Azipods incorporated on that ship.

• Like 1

Just an fyi... I have been following Oceania Insignia roll call which is on their World Cruise (albeit it is a segmented cruise) just  announced today major itinerary changes. Their journey began in LA. They will complete their current itinerary of South Pacific Islands and then return to LA. Head south through Mexico, un through the Panama Canal then on to Europe. They are offering refunds etc based on what the client chooses to do. You have a much better itinerary on Viking.

• Like 1