Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

3 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

Really enjoying all three WC blogs.  Thanks to those authors.

Shout out to Garry and his posts about the ship.  BTW, indirectly he was correct about Azipods being used on Viking ships, just not on VO ships.  On Monday’s Viking.tv presentation about Viking Octantis, they showed a brief clip of some type of control/monitoring board for the brand new ABB Azipods incorporated on that ship.

Woo hoo - I was inadvertently and derivatively right!  I'll take what I can get!  Thanks! 🙂

Edited by GKTV32162
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

Another pet peeve on bus tours is when a couple splits up and both take window seats. Also, when a fully functional couple grabs the front seat and lets a mobility impaired person go to a seat further back. That happened on our bus yesterday. 

The younger person may get car sick. I know that I feel much better looking out the from window.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

Another pet peeve on bus tours is when a couple splits up and both take window seats. Also, when a fully functional couple grabs the front seat and lets a mobility impaired person go to a seat further back. That happened on our bus yesterday. 

We resemble that remark - couple splits up on the bus.  HOWEVER we do NOT do it until everyone has taken their seats and the tour has begun.  We found on our two 2021 Viking cruises that people board the bus and take all of the front of the bus seats row by row with no social distancing.  We actually prefer the back of the bus and never worry about boarding first as a result. In 2021 our buses were rarely full as the number of passengers was dictated by the country visited.  We both like to take photos, don't sleep on the bus, there are unused rows so why not?

As far as fit people taking first rows, I am more mobility challenged then most I have seen on Viking but I don't need a walker so i don't take the front rows.  Would LOVE to sit in first row opposite driver for photos but don't.  I figure my day will come so don't push it.  🙂

• Like 5

On 1/19/2022 at 11:09 AM, ldpetrillo said:

Agree, I don’t like it when couples jump on the bus, split up, and take all the window seats.  I like to take photos too and I don’t want to sit with your husband.  

• Like 4

I was just on the Live from the Viking Orion Cruise Critic page. Evidently they follow different rules than the Viking Star. A group of passengers are going to Bloody Mary’s Restaurant tonight in Bora Bora on their own. Why are they allowed to go on an independent excursion? Any answers? 

19 minutes ago, ldpetrillo said:

I was just on the Live from the Viking Orion Cruise Critic page. Evidently they follow different rules than the Viking Star. A group of passengers are going to Bloody Mary’s Restaurant tonight in Bora Bora on their own. Why are they allowed to go on an independent excursion? Any answers? 

Our ship has zero covid. So they are allowing us independent excursions.😁

• Like 4

The letter from Viking did not distinguish between Covid free ships or individual countries. Is it a matter of rules for thee but not me? All cruises departing in January and February were bound by the independent travel rules. Since the FLL passengers left in December, we should not be included. 

Good to see the Captain is taking the inshore route rather than crossing directly across the Gulf of Tehuantepec. If the wind is the predominant off-shore wind, it should provide a smoother passage, as less fetch for the seas to build.

• Like 1

Some people are asking about the Chile ports on a Jupiter roll call (Around Cape Horn & Chilean Fjords).  We did this trip in 2020 and I wrote extensively about Santiago, Valparaiso, Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas.  Did private and Viking excursions.  Tomko2travel.blogspot.com. I don't write while traveling so the different chapters are spread out over many months in the 2020 archives.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Some people are asking about the Chile ports on a Jupiter roll call (Around Cape Horn & Chilean Fjords).  We did this trip in 2020 and I wrote extensively about Santiago, Valparaiso, Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas.  Did private and Viking excursions.  Tomko2travel.blogspot.com. I don't write while traveling so the different chapters are spread out over many months in the 2020 archives.

@TayanaLorna The link does not show the archives for ease of finding the appropriate posts.  Do you have another link by any chance.  I know Blogger allowed different view settings, some of which just showed the posts, others that showed gadgets like the archive in the sidebar.  Not sure if it does now as I have moved onto a simpler platform.

17 minutes ago, rose.mandaubrooks said:

It’s all about learning, eating, and making new friends

http://roseandtedsexcellentadventure.com/2022/01/21/episode-170-sometimes-its-cheesy/

I am really loving your blog. Thank you so much for writing it. I'm also following Kolbs on the Road and Round the World Writer. I live for new posts! Does anyone know if I'm missing any from this world cruise? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

@TayanaLorna The link does not show the archives for ease of finding the appropriate posts.  Do you have another link by any chance.  I know Blogger allowed different view settings, some of which just showed the posts, others that showed gadgets like the archive in the sidebar.  Not sure if it does now as I have moved onto a simpler platform.

This was my first blog and i am not very proficient in its workings.  When i go to it whether on my cell phone or tablet, there are 3 horizontal lines in the upper left hand corner.  If you click on them, you will see Archives and a v (pointing down thingie).  It you click on the v you get the months with the different chapters.  For example April 2020 (2).  We went Santiago to Buenas Aires so Chile to Cape Horn will be in earlier months.

27 minutes ago, Diveloonie said:

I am loving all the WC blogs and following along!  I am having a harder time reading the kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com because of the background.  

I agree re: kolbs blog. Maybe the kolbs can get rid of the black background.

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Good to see the Captain is taking the inshore route rather than crossing directly across the Gulf of Tehuantepec. If the wind is the predominant off-shore wind, it should provide a smoother passage, as less fetch for the seas to build.

He did a nice job of transiting the Gulf. I barely felt anything during the night. Our room steward said that she had a tough time sleeping though. Much better than our passsge the other way!